uncommon objects your pet loves

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 02:44 pm
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:
Mr Flash Gordon loves rubber bands.
Not just to throw around. He will chew them. Like bubble gum.
I knew a lawyer like that for several years.
firefly

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2010 09:20 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
My dog loves empty plastic soda bottles, and my last dog loved them too.

The last dog would go through a whole ritual of methodically peeling off the entire label before she would begin playing with the bottle. She loved running around holding an empty two liter bottle by the screw top portion, banging the bottom of the bottle on a hard surface floor as she ran--she was a small dog, so the bottle easily hit the floor. She really enjoyed making a racket.

My current dog likes to bat a one liter bottle around the floor with her paw and chase it. She sometimes reminds me of a kid playing kick the can. Then she lies down and likes to chomp down on the bottle, which produces a loud cracking sound with each indentation of the bottle. The louder it is, the more she seems to be enjoying herself. When she has it sufficiently flattened, she'll bring it to me to throw for her and we'll have a game of fetch.

These bottles are very sturdy. Neither of my dogs was ever able to puncture the plastic with her teeth. The dogs seem to love them because they are fairly large and bulky (for a dog toy), but they're also very lightweight, move across a floor easily, and they can be used to make a fairly loud noise. They really don't make dog toys that have those properties. I wonder why.

I wonder if I've had the only dogs who really enjoy making loud noises with an object.
GoshisDead

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 02:15 pm
I had a dog that loved soda bottles.
I have a dog now that has had a security issue with bandanas. Stuck one on our dog Oh'No when she was 8 months old and if she's not wearing one she will root through the laundry until she finds one and bring it to me to tie on her, she's now 4 years old.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 02:27 pm
Possum has developed a fondness for bubble wrap.

It's his favourite thing to sit on, right now - and he chews it a bit. Doesn't seem to pop the bubbles though.

I think he likes the sound it makes - but it does look a tad untidy sitting in the middle of the living room floor (well he wouldn't leave it anywhere else, would he?)
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 12:08 am
My mom got me a fuzzy throw blanket as a gift and when I got it home it immediately became Whisper's girlfriend. It's all his now. I wanted nothing to do with it once I saw what he did with it. Now I just make sure it gets washed now and again.

He unfortunately likes things that are not good for him. Thus far I have had to reach down his throat and pull out 2 twist ties, a rock and an acorn - all to keep him from choking to death. I can't leave any plastic bags or wrapping where he can get to them because he will eat the plastic.

Oddly one of his favorite playthings is a stick of dry spaghetti. He loves to bat it around on the kitchen floor. He really goes nuts.Whenever he hears me open a box he comes running.

Tabbie has these little fuzzy cat toy balls. He will stalk and pounce on them, fling them around and pick them up and carry them all over the house. I occaisionally find one on my pillow or in one of my shoes. He also purposefully dunks them in the water dish until they are sopping wet and then flings them against the walls. I think he likes the wet smacking sound they make. Go figure.
dlowan

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 08:20 am
@firefly,
My cats have loved to play with Vicks Vapodrops....as long as they are still in the cellophane.

They are small, crackly and skitter across the floor like little hockey pucks.

Miranda insists on sitting ritually upon anything she is playing with. Not for long...but it's a definite ritual that occurs through out a game.

They used to love bits of Ugg boot that had been cut up.

Miranda is insane about dental floss.

A previous cat adored those little toy mice.

Thing is, she'd end up putting them up in the innards of the sofa, and demanding more.

I think we found sixty-something toy mice when we moved the sofa.

That same cat loved to pull her4self along under the bed, using that soft, papery cloth that they use under there.

Then she'd make a hole and hide in there.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 11:11 am
@Aldistar,
Aldistar wrote:
He unfortunately likes things that are not good for him. Thus far I have had to reach down his throat and pull out 2 twist ties, a rock and an acorn - all to keep him from choking to death.

That's a scenario that has always kind of scared me...the thought that ours (a dog) would choke on something. I haven't been tested yet...still hoping Mr.Irish will be available in case of such an emergency.

We got some bad news last week...our vet called to tell us that he thinks our Jack (a rescue dog) is older than he first estimated, by several years. I was a bit down for a few days since we already have these wonderful creatures for such a short time, compared to our own lifespans.

0 Replies

salima

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 07:46 pm
@shewolfnm,
actually i used to do that when i was a kid...
but i thought there was some danger in that because if they swallow them they can get tangled in the intestines...seem to remember that from some animal care book i once read...
0 Replies

salima

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 07:52 pm
@Aldistar,
Aldistar wrote:

Oddly one of his favorite playthings is a stick of dry spaghetti. He loves to bat it around on the kitchen floor. He really goes nuts.Whenever he hears me open a box he comes running.

Tabbie has these little fuzzy cat toy balls. He will stalk and pounce on them, fling them around and pick them up and carry them all over the house. I occaisionally find one on my pillow or in one of my shoes. He also purposefully dunks them in the water dish until they are sopping wet and then flings them against the walls. I think he likes the wet smacking sound they make. Go figure.

my cat used to love any kind of pasta-when i took it out he came running from anywhere in the house to play with it. it was like a narcotic i think because he would rub his head on it like he did with the veggies i was trying to cut for salad...he never ate green peppers or carrots, but wanted to use the plastic bag they were in for a pillow.

he also used to like the milk from my cereal, which was loaded with sugar. he wouldnt drink milk otherwise...
0 Replies