Forced busing initiatives

tintin

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 09:41 pm
Please look at this English text ...

Forced busing initiatives were introduced as an attempt to address some of these concerns, albeit more from a racial (desegregation) motivation than an economic one, but they only served to make poorer students feel outcast going to school in richer neighborhoods.

what does 'Forced busing initiatives' mean ? I don't understand this . Can you please post few examples ?

what does 'feel outcast' mean here ?

This text looks bit complicated to understand because of those wordings.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 987 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 09:45 pm
Well, it is not unreasonable to say that it is difficult to understand, if one is not a native speaker of English, and one is unfamiliar with the history of attempts at racial desegregation in the United States. A "forced busing initiative" is a plan implemented in pursuance of a Federal court order to desegregate a school system. Under such a plan, students would be "bussed," i.e., sent by bus to other schools to assure a racial mix in the target school. To feel an outcast means that one feels as though one does not belong where one finds oneself. So, for example, a black student in a predominantly white school might feel that he or she is an outcast.
0 Replies

tintin

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 06:24 am
That history was very much helpful . That was a good initiave . I am feeling better.

By the way,Can you please tell the origin of 'albeit' keyword ?

I see in wordweb 'albeit' = Even though

whats the origin of this wording ? Can I say 'albeit' = A little bit ?
Philis

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 08:06 am
@tintin,
Albeit means even though, although, EX: clear albeit cold weather.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 10:23 am
To feel like an outcast means that one feels as though one does not belong where one finds oneself.
So, for example, a white student in a predominantly black school might feel that he or she is an outcast.
0 Replies

tintin

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 09:01 pm
very much helpful. Learnt lot of new things.
0 Replies