What do you think of Dr. Phil?

Jack Webbs

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 12:06 am
Yes but you know any time you even have a conversation with any one, regardless of who it may be, one person is dominant and controls the subordinate. That is just the way humanity works.

Without control? You have chaos. I have always been a very punctual, controlling person by nature. I just would not be happy any other way.

If I walk into a room and notice a picture is not level, I straighten it out. If a door is not fully open I open it all the way.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 12:25 am
Laughing

Yeah, the whole equality thing is for the birds, eh?!

There's always a balance of power, but Mr. Phil there seems to want more than I would be happy giving him. The whole "accept me as a guru who knows better than you" thing.

Jack, would it annoy you terribly if I followed behind you as you straightened pictures and tilted each one just a bit?
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 01:03 am
We can be reasonable about equality but literally there is no such thing. Anyone with common sense knows that whether it be between races or sexes. Regardless of laws you just cannot legislate total equality. There are just too many factors involved that are indescribable and defy description not to mention racism which is very ugly of course but has very little to do with the reality of not being equal.

I don't watch Dr. Phil. I think of him as a daytime TV entertainer just as Jerry Springer, Oprah Winfrey or Judge Judy. Yes, he does paint himself as a sort of guru. That is part of his shtick, that is what the sponsors pay for.

If I knew you were going to move the pictures or the door I would leave them as they are. Smile
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 02:46 pm
Jack Webbs wrote:
There is always room for improvement unfortunately with the demise of public education over the past several decades new people are unable to distinguish between quality and crap.

Cool

Non sequitor. If you received a better education, then you should know to stay on subject.

But, since you brought it up, there is no demise in public education.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 02:51 pm
Jack Webbs wrote:
Yes but you know any time you even have a conversation with any one, regardless of who it may be, one person is dominant and controls the subordinate. That is just the way humanity works.

Without control? You have chaos. I have always been a very punctual, controlling person by nature. I just would not be happy any other way.

If I walk into a room and notice a picture is not level, I straighten it out. If a door is not fully open I open it all the way.

Any time? All of your conversations are that way? Are you certain you don't want to examine whether there is anything wrong with you?

Conversations are so important to me that most of my dreams are conversations and no one ever dominates. If someone dominates, then what is happening is an argument, not a conversation.

BTW, most women no longer iron and, although there has been a slight decline in the percentage of working mothers in the past 2 or 3 years, most women work outside the home. As for those that do not, Dr. Phil is fond of quoting someone who says a stay at home mom works the equivalent of two full-time jobs.

I miss having been a stay at home mom, work I found more creative and intellectually stimulating than most so-called jobs.
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 03:20 pm
It's the new culture. Women have no business becoming pregnant unless they are going to devote 24/7 running the home and raising the children.

This new culture is a very Liberal culture of people that insist on having things both ways. As a result more than a few of their children act like snots and eventually grow into little more than wretched animals as adults.

We have these American woman today with heads filled with nonsense. They are silly enough to believe they can have their "career" and properly mother too. I have seen some of these silly women hatching children in their forties with the aid of some barbaric methods. And of course many of their litter are born deformed or not right in the head.

The best advice I can offer is for people to stay single and enjoy sex as much as they can and only have children IF THEY ARE PREPARED TO DEVOTE PERSONAL ATTENTION TO THEM. This does not mean hiring a nanny or sending them off to private schools in foreign countries where they are bound to pick up bad habits and become inferior both socially and intellectually as well.

When a woman in her late thirties early forties chortles; "Oh, I have decided to stay home and raise a family." or "I want to spend time with my children" you know you are hearing the words of an imbecile.

It is entirely too late. If a woman does not have a child by the time she is 23 she should have herself fixed because she will not only continue to have a complicated life but will complicate the lives of others around her. What can be more heartbreaking than to see a well preserved, childless woman in her mid thirties waste it all by becoming pregnant at such a beautiful, lush, ripe point in her existence I ask you?
0 Replies

alintm

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 04:53 am
Jack Webbs wrote:
It's the new culture. Women have no business becoming pregnant unless they are going to devote 24/7 running the home and raising the children.

This new culture is a very Liberal culture of people that insist on having things both ways. As a result more than a few of their children act like snots and eventually grow into little more than wretched animals as adults.

We have these American woman today with heads filled with nonsense. They are silly enough to believe they can have their "career" and properly mother too. I have seen some of these silly women hatching children in their forties with the aid of some barbaric methods. And of course many of their litter are born deformed or not right in the head.

The best advice I can offer is for people to stay single and enjoy sex as much as they can and only have children IF THEY ARE PREPARED TO DEVOTE PERSONAL ATTENTION TO THEM. This does not mean hiring a nanny or sending them off to private schools in foreign countries where they are bound to pick up bad habits and become inferior both socially and intellectually as well.

When a woman in her late thirties early forties chortles; "Oh, I have decided to stay home and raise a family." or "I want to spend time with my children" you know you are hearing the words of an imbecile.

It is entirely too late. If a woman does not have a child by the time she is 23 she should have herself fixed because she will not only continue to have a complicated life but will complicate the lives of others around her. What can be more heartbreaking than to see a well preserved, childless woman in her mid thirties waste it all by becoming pregnant at such a beautiful, lush, ripe point in her existence I ask you?
agreed Very Happy
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 12:27 pm
Jack Webbs wrote:It's the new culture. Women have no business becoming pregnant unless they are going to devote 24/7 running the home and raising the children.

I take it he means that
1.) only the wealthy should have children;
2.) that men have no role in the care, feeding and upkeep of children;
3.) that he has no idea how diminished choice is for today's young women.

Interesting, because when I was in grad school at Detroit's Wayne State University (69-74), my men friends envisioned a world in which our generation would maintain the same standard of living as our largely blue collar parents had on one income by having both white collar parents work part time and share equally in the duties of maintaining a home and raising our two children.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 12:29 pm
Jack continued: sending them off to private schools in foreign countries where they are bound to pick up bad habits and become inferior both socially and intellectually as well.

Private schools in foreign countries? That's done less often today than it had been done pre-WWII.

I suppose he means schools in Europe and not in the Third World or Asia. Gee, I didn't know Europeans were socially and intellectually inferior, did you?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 12:31 pm
Ranting still, Jack wrote: It is entirely too late. If a woman does not have a child by the time she is 23 she should have herself fixed because she will not only continue to have a complicated life but will complicate the lives of others around her.

Just as the Founding Fathers said a man can not be president before the age of 35, I say -- and so do many others -- that no one, man or woman, should produce a child prior to age 30 when wisdom, maturity and experience are greater than they were at 23.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 12:36 pm
From this same source: I have seen some of these silly women hatching children in their forties with the aid of some barbaric methods. And of course many of their litter are born deformed or not right in the head.

While I agree that no one who can not produce a child "naturally" should resort to clinical help, I hold that position because the world is over-populated and the children we produce today might starve to death or become Soylent Green. However, his statement about these children being deformed or mentally deficient is insupportable.

The older the mother is at the time of her child's conception -- barring a family history that includes Down's Syndrome -- the higher the IQ of her child. Furthermore, the so-called late term abortion that is the object of conservative ire is actually something that happens because amniocentisis can not be performed in the first two months of pregnancy. Should deformities be revealed then, an abortion needs to be performed in fairly short order.
0 Replies

DrCliche

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 02:04 pm
Dr Phil
My son and I are morbidly fascinated with Dr Phil. He states the most obvious cliches, yet it is accepted by his predominantly middle aged, middle class, middle brow 40 year old ladies. My son and I have decided to write our own Pop Psychology book. We want to do this to cash in...I mean...contribute to society. Our new book, Winning is Better Than Losing, will be available in a Borders near you. It will be in the Empty Sociology Section next to the Latte Stand. Here are some of the chapters from our book:

Chapter 1: No One Really Damn About You...Except You

Chapter 2: Advice is a Vice

Chapter 3: The World Doesn't Revolve Around You...Stupid!

Chapter 4: The Pomposity of Psychology

Chapter 5: Turn Up the Dial for an Instant Smile

Chapter 6: I'm Okay...You're Not Me

Chapter 7: Hitch Your Hide to a Star...Like Oprah
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2006 10:16 am
Dr Cliche -- So, who are you? Is this your second or third nom d'email?

Anyway, I think you and your son ought to write your book. We need a satire on advice books.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 10:48 pm
@cavfancier,
What cavfancier said; he just sells snake oil.
0 Replies

Sandiegort

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 04:13 pm
I was actually on the Dr. Phil show. I went on to try and get my ex husband to pay child support. Dr. Phil instead attacked me. He went after me like I was a gold digger. He set me up with a vocational coach, even though I had a good paying job. He used camera angles and interviews to ruin my reputation. I was attacked personally by people over the internet. I cried for weeks after I saw the show, and years later I'm still traumatized. Don't be fooled by this supposed "caring" doctor. He is only interested in stirring up controversy and getting ratings. He's does not actually care about people.
firefly

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2013 07:50 pm
@Sandiegort,
He's an unethical creep who lost his license to practice as a Psychologist in Texas over an ethical violation.

He currently holds no license as a Psychologist in any state. He gets under the radar because what he does is classified as "entertainment".
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2013 08:55 pm
@Sandiegort,
I'm sorry you had a rough time.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2013 08:57 pm
It is hard to believe that a2k is more than 10 years old. Sandiegort made this decade old thread surface again.

I feel I am a different person now than I was back when I started this thread.
0 Replies