ADOPTED RUSSIAN BOY REJECTED, IN SELF DEFENSE

boomerang

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 10:23 am
@hawkeye10,
I agree. She could have found help. She didn't. There's no excuse for that.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 10:25 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
I remember at the height of our problems, telling Mr. B "if you treated me like this, I'd leave you".
I hope that your little boy does not have fetal alcohol syndrome.

David
boomerang

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 10:35 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I'm fairly certain that isn't our problem. I knew his other mom pretty well and at that point in her life she was not a heavy drinker though she did drink.

I don't know if she drank when she was pregnant. I don't know how much exposure it takes to cause problems.

Luckily we have moved past that stage of our lives although we do still go into "lock down" mode once in a while to reassess and reconnect.

It's a process.
wandeljw

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 11:46 am
Quote:
Russia Suspends Adoptions by Americans
(By CLIFFORD J. LEVY, The New York Times, April 15, 2010)

MOSCOW " Russia formally announced on Thursday that it would suspend all adoptions of Russian children by Americans, responding to the case of a 7-year-old boy who was sent back to Moscow alone last week by his adoptive mother in Tennessee. The case of the boy, who was named Artyom in Russia before he was adopted last year, has caused widespread anger here, and Russian officials said new regulations had to be put in place before adoptions by Americans could proceed.

The announcement by the Russian Foreign Ministry gave no indication of how long the suspension would last. The State Department in Washington is sending a high-level delegation to Moscow to hold talks on reaching an agreement, and both countries have expressed hope that the matter can be resolved quickly.

“Future adoptions of Russian children by citizens of the United States, which are now suspended, are possible only if such an agreement is reached,” a spokesman for the Russian Foreign Ministry, Andrei Nesterenko, said at a briefing on Thursday.

Officials at the United States Embassy in Moscow said they had not received official notification of a suspension and were seeking more information from their Russian counterparts.

Without formal notification, some American officials said they would continue operating as if no suspension had been put in place. But Russian officials said in interviews that no adoptions would be allowed for now. More than 250 American families have nearly completed the adoption process and are poised to pick up their Russian children, but their cases will not be allowed to conclude until the new rules are approved, Russian officials said.

In all, some 3,000 American families have begun the adoption process, according to the Joint Council on International Children’s Services. Russian officials said they would continue to accept applications and process paperwork from potential adoptive parents.

Russia was the third leading source of adoptive children in the United States in 2009, with 1,586, after China and Ethiopia, officials said. More than 50,000 Russian children have been adopted by United States citizens since 1991, according to the United States Embassy.

Artyom, who was named Justin by his adoptive American mother, arrived in Moscow last week after flying by himself from Washington. He presented the authorities with a note from his adoptive mother in which she said she could no longer handle him.

The mother, Torry Ann Hansen, a registered nurse from Shelbyville, Tenn., said the boy was “violent and has severe psychopathic issues.” She added that she “was lied to and misled by the Russian orphanage workers” about his troubles.

The authorities in the United States are now investigating her conduct.

Russian authorities, who now have custody of the boy, have said he behaves normally and have harshly criticized Ms. Hansen for sending him back.

Cases of children adopted from Russia being harmed in the United States have received intense publicity here. Fourteen Russian children have died of abuse or neglect at their hands of the adoptive American parents since 1996, Russian officials said last year.

Last Friday, the Russian foreign minister, Sergey V. Lavrov, calling Artyom’s case “the last straw” and said he was proposing the suspension.
BillRM

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 12:00 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
And that they think help is so easy to find.

Given that these two sub-human women did not look for help, it does not matter if help was available or not as far as their actions are concern.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 12:07 pm
@wandeljw,
Cases of children adopted from Russia being harmed in the United States have received intense publicity here. Fourteen Russian children have died of abuse or neglect at their hands of the adoptive American parents since 1996, Russian officials said last year.---
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out of 50.000 children that is a very small amount - still too many.
I would like to see this number compared with children adopted within USA and compared with biological children.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 12:15 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
I'm fairly certain that isn't our problem. I knew his other mom pretty well and at that point in her life she was not a heavy drinker though she did drink.

I don't know if she drank when she was pregnant. I don't know how much exposure it takes to cause problems.

Luckily we have moved past that stage of our lives although we do still go into "lock down" mode once in a while to reassess and reconnect.

It's a process.
How do u decide when to go into "lockdown mode" ?
ABE5177

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 12:15 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

overwhelming can be simply overwhelming, over

yes
over n out
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 12:17 pm
@saab,
Fourteen is the number that actually died from abuse or neglect out of the 50,000. There may be thousands that were abused or neglected, but survived. It makes adoption by Americans look bad in Russia.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 12:24 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:
Quote:
Russia Suspends Adoptions by Americans
(By CLIFFORD J. LEVY, The New York Times, April 15, 2010)

MOSCOW " Russia formally announced on Thursday that it would suspend all adoptions of Russian children by Americans, responding to the case of a 7-year-old boy who was sent back to Moscow alone last week by his adoptive mother in Tennessee. The case of the boy, who was named Artyom in Russia before he was adopted last year, has caused widespread anger here, and Russian officials said new regulations had to be put in place before adoptions by Americans could proceed.

The announcement by the Russian Foreign Ministry gave no indication of how long the suspension would last. The State Department in Washington is sending a high-level delegation to Moscow to hold talks on reaching an agreement, and both countries have expressed hope that the matter can be resolved quickly.

“Future adoptions of Russian children by citizens of the United States, which are now suspended, are possible only if such an agreement is reached,” a spokesman for the Russian Foreign Ministry, Andrei Nesterenko, said at a briefing on Thursday.

Officials at the United States Embassy in Moscow said they had not received official notification of a suspension and were seeking more information from their Russian counterparts.

Without formal notification, some American officials said they would continue operating as if no suspension had been put in place. But Russian officials said in interviews that no adoptions would be allowed for now. More than 250 American families have nearly completed the adoption process and are poised to pick up their Russian children, but their cases will not be allowed to conclude until the new rules are approved, Russian officials said.

In all, some 3,000 American families have begun the adoption process, according to the Joint Council on International Children’s Services. Russian officials said they would continue to accept applications and process paperwork from potential adoptive parents.

Russia was the third leading source of adoptive children in the United States in 2009, with 1,586, after China and Ethiopia, officials said. More than 50,000 Russian children have been adopted by United States citizens since 1991, according to the United States Embassy.

Artyom, who was named Justin by his adoptive American mother, arrived in Moscow last week after flying by himself from Washington. He presented the authorities with a note from his adoptive mother in which she said she could no longer handle him.

The mother, Torry Ann Hansen, a registered nurse from Shelbyville, Tenn., said the boy was “violent and has severe psychopathic issues.” She added that she “was lied to and misled by the Russian orphanage workers” about his troubles.

The authorities in the United States are now investigating her conduct.

Russian authorities, who now have custody of the boy, have said he behaves normally and have harshly criticized Ms. Hansen for sending him back.

Cases of children adopted from Russia being harmed in the United States have received intense publicity here. Fourteen Russian children have died of abuse or neglect at their hands of the adoptive American parents since 1996, Russian officials said last year.

Last Friday, the Russian foreign minister, Sergey V. Lavrov, calling Artyom’s case “the last straw” and said he was proposing the suspension.
Wandel, do u recommend a retaliatory suspension of Russian adoption of American children ?

David
boomerang

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 12:26 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

Mo will start having problems at school, or start not getting along with his friends, or start fights with me and Mr. B. When asked what's going on he can't explain it. He'll be upset and depressed and anxious and he just doesn't know why. He'll get clumsy and start forgetting things.

We don't really lock down but we simplify our lives for a period of time -- cut out everything that isn't necessary, especially social interaction. We stick together and try to remain very calm.
BillRM

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 12:51 pm
Could not agree more in fact I think that a world wide ban on Americans adopting children would be call for it we allow those two ladies to get away with such behaviors without facing charges

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Russia wants nurse prosecuted after adopted child returned

By Andrew Osborn, The Daily TelegraphApril 14, 2010

Russia is pressing for charges against the American nurse who returned her adopted seven-year-old son alone on a plane to Moscow.

Torry Ann Hansen, 33, sent Artyom Savelyev on a flight last week. The child travelled with a note from his adoptive mother saying: "I no longer wish to parent this child" and claiming he was "mentally unstable."

The incident caused anger in Russia and the foreign minister threatened to freeze all adoptions to the U.S. Pavel Astakhov, Russia's ombudsman for children's rights, urged officials in Tennessee, where Hansen lives, to bring criminal charges.

"If the Americans consider that Artyom is a U.S. citizen, then they should bring criminal charges against the woman who left the child on his own without supervision and sent a U.S. citizen to another country," he said.

Adoption experts have said there would be strong grounds to prosecute Hansen. But U.S. authorities say they are struggling to work out whether she broke any federal law. A lawyer acting for Hansen said his client would not discuss her actions unless she was legally obliged to do so.

Artyom, an orphan from Siberia, is staying in a Moscow hospital pending a decision.

© Copyright (c) The StarPhoenix

E-mail this ArticlePrint this ArticleShare this Article Story Tools

E-mail this Article
Print this Article

Share this Article
Font:**** Image:****

Related Stories from Around the Web
Totally apologetic Watford Observer, UK Thursday, April 15, 2010
Serial Waterlooville thief jailed Portsmouth Today, UK Thursday, April 15, 2010
Dad kicked and punched son, court told Belfast Telegraph, UK Thursday, April 15, 2010
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 01:15 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
Quote:

Mo will start having problems at school, or start not getting along with his friends, or start fights with me and Mr. B. When asked what's going on he can't explain it. He'll be upset and depressed and anxious and he just doesn't know why. He'll get clumsy and start forgetting things.

We don't really lock down but we simplify our lives for a period of time -- cut out everything that isn't necessary, especially social interaction. We stick together and try to remain very calm.
Maybe he 'd benefit from psychological counselling.
He might find it pleasant.
When I was around that age, because of my refusal
to join in ball games in school, the school suggested
that I be evaluated by a psychiatrist.
I rather liked the idea, but I was kinda kicked out
by the psychiatrist after only about 3 sessions, for being "normal";
(surely members of this forum will deem that prima facie malpractice, if not a conclusive presumption).
wandeljw

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 01:35 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDavid wrote:
Wandel, do u recommend a retaliatory suspension of Russian adoption of American children ?

The news article mentioned that there are three thousand American families who have started the adoption process for a Russian child. These American families will now be delayed in the process until Russia makes a new agreement with the United States.

Russian families awaiting adoption of American children have been asked whether retaliation against them would be a problem. Both families said: "Perhaps."
0 Replies

saab

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 01:42 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I rather liked the idea, but I was kinda kicked out
by the psychiatrist after only about 3 sessions, for being "normal";

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 05:18 pm
@saab,
The Hansens do sound like an odd bunch, judging by this story...

Quote:
Adoptive mom, neighbors
had colorful feud in 2006

Mom, neighbors squared off in 2006

By Chris Echegaray • THE TENNESSEAN • April
15, 2010

SHELBYVILLE, Tenn. " A Bedford County woman who
sent her 7-year-old adopted son alone on a plane
back to Moscow last week still isn't talking to
investigators.

But Torry Hansen said plenty to deputies during a
2006 feud with her neighbor in Chapel Hill, where
she lived before Shelbyville. She said in a police
affidavit that her neighbor sneaked onto her
property as she slept.

"This has been an ongoing problem," she wrote in
the affidavit, saying the feud had spanned seven
months.

The woman who bought Hansen's house said there
was a neon-painted trailer near the road loaded with
camera equipment pointing at the house across the
road, plus sensor-controlled lighting.

Hansen's neighbor troubles came to a head at 4:19
a.m. on Oct. 7, 2006, when she looked out an
upstairs window of the house she shared with her
parents, sister and a young boy. She said she saw
neighbor Robert Abbott on her property at 3188
Halls Road in Chapel Hill and had him arrested and
charged with criminal trespassing.

Hansen has declined comment through her lawyer,
Trisha Henegar, and didn't answer the door at her
new home today.

Henegar is listed as Abbott's lawyer in court
records. The charge eventually was dropped. Abbott
and his wife, Dwyne, still live on Halls Road but
declined to comment on the arrest.

Bedford County Sheriff Randall Boyce said he
vaguely remembers the feud but not what triggered
it.

"I remember they were putting cameras on each
other," he said.

Boyce said he recalls Dwyne Abbott speaking with
him about the case, but he didn't think either side
committed a crime.

Fredia Smith, who purchased the 4,300-square-foot
Chapel Hill home and 30 acres from the Hansens in
2007 remembers visible evidence of the feud well.

She keeps a picture of a trailer Hansen painted neon orange, green and purple and placed near the road, apparently to irritate her neighbors. It was loaded with video equipment and sensor-activated lighting facing the Abbotts' house. The Hansens insisted on keeping the parcel of land it sat on out of the sale.

"It was like " whoo! " football stadium lights all of sudden in front of their house," Smith said. "I thought it was kind of odd that they would not even think about selling that piece of property to me and they insisted on having that trailer there."

Smith finally told the Hansens she would not buy the property if the trailer was not painted a solid color or removed. They removed it months later, she said.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20100415/NEWS01/4150365/Adoptive+mom++neighbors+had+colorful+feud+in+2006

That does sound a bit odd, even for a feud between neighbors.

But at least they finally dug up someone who knew Hansen. The family must have been extremely isolated because no one has come forward to say anything about them, neither good nor bad. If they keep to themselves that much, it may explain why she didn't reach out for help with the child.

In this video on this site, a representative from the adoption agency says there are many resources in the area, so it's not that help wasn't available. And the person also points out there were no problems voiced when the agency made a home visit, and the boy seemed normal.
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20100415/NEWS01/4150365/Adoptive+mom++neighbors+had+colorful+feud+in+2006

That Hansen was trying to adopt a second child, when she may have already had her hands full with the first one, is strange. But everything about this case seems strange.

In reading about the experiences of parents who adopted children with severe problems from Russia and elsewhere, I am really struck by the dedication and courage most of them have shown in trying to deal with children who do have uncontrolled emotional outbursts and who actually harm, or try to harm, other family members. It really sounds nightmarish, particularly when it goes on for years. Not that there aren't biological parents who have also had to deal with similar problems, so it's not unique to adoption. And these parents go to such great lengths, and spend tens of thousands of dollars on psychiatrists, psychologists, special camps, special schools, on anything that might help the child. And when things get totally out of control, they hospitalize the child or have him placed in therapeutic boarding schools or residential treatment centers--and then they feel guilty about having had to send the child away. But it's amazing how they just don't stop trying, they don't stop caring, they don't stop acting like parents, even to children who actively hate and abuse them. If nothing else, their sense of parental responsibility is awesome.

And, then there is someone like Torry Hansen, who gives up after six months, without trying to get any help, and who just throws the child out of her home without any regard, whatsoever, for his feelings, and no concern for what another rejection like that could do to a child who has already been brutalized by life.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2010 05:54 pm
How very tragic, and sad. I fault the adoptive parents. What a very dumb move, to adopt a child who is that old, 7? They must know exactly nothing about kids, who can be little monsters even when you love them to death - and most parents do love their kids so very much that they are willing to do anything to see they get every advantage, any help needed.

I once saw a TV movie, "Rage" about a couple who adopted a 3-yr. girl who, they discovered over time, was the daughter of an alcoholic who had sexually abused her since 8 mos. Was very interesting how a counselor was able to help this little girl but she said if she had been older it wouldn't have been possible.

I'm sure not here to judge these people, but there had to be a better way?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 09:16 am
Quote:
Intercountry adoption, particularly of older children, and most especially of children from abusive families or neglectful institutions, is inherently a high risk process. Children coming from traumatic backgrounds commonly suffer from serious psychological, behavioral, cognitive and educational issues. The language and cultural transitions of intercountry adoption compound and complicate both the child’s trauma and therapeutic interventions.

Unfortunately, the adoption myth in the United States sends the message that the love and care found in any normal American home is enough to heal any child. This myth leads to numerous inadequacies: inadequate evaluation of children prior to adoption; inadequate preparation, training and selection of prospective adoptive families; and inadequate post-placement services.

Thus, too many prospective adoptive parents, even when warned about hypothetical possible problems, are asked to make a purportedly permanent adoption decision based on inadequate or misleading information about the particular child with whom they are matched. Too many prospective adoptive parents are matched with children whose behaviors, issues and needs are far beyond the capacity of a normal family to manage. Too often, the only expert services offered to such families are too far away or too expensive to be practical, if they exist at all.....

Interesting series of articles in the NYT....

http://roomfordebate.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/15/how-to-prevent-adoption-disasters/
boomerang

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 09:31 am
From another of the articles...

Quote:
But the risk is that in focusing on the specific wrongs involved in sending this child back, policymakers will ignore the larger story about child tragedy and related policy lessons. That story has to do with the systemic abuse that victimizes the millions of children in institutions worldwide. Many decades of social science demonstrate the destructive impact of such institutions on children’s mental, emotional and physical capacities

That's exactly what I was saying at the beginning of this thread. By adopting from some of these countries Americans are unwittingly supporting a very corrupt system.
dlowan

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2010 10:14 am
@boomerang,
Yep.

Seen some terrible outcomes.
0 Replies