PLEASE REPLY
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,992 • Replies: 3
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 03:37 am
Is there perhaps two guinea pigs? could yours be having babies?
We used to have a cage with a wire base and let him graze in the back yard. Move the cage to a fresh site daily. we also feh him lettuce and otyher table scraps like apple cores and other pieces of fruit.
your guinea pig will require vitamin c which they get from fresh leafy greens and fresh fruit.
Do not feed your guinea pig pellets.

What should you feed your guinea pig?
Like rabbits, Guinea Pigs are herbivores and require a high fibre diet. They should have grass or grass hay (e.g. meadow, timothy, fescue, oaten, pasture, paddock or ryegrass hays) available at all times. Lucerne or clover hay can be offered but not as the sole source of fibre as they are high in calcium and protein. Suitable grasses include clover, buffalo grass, & oat grass. Guinea pigs also enjoy dandelion, milk thistle & a variety of fresh herbs.
Grass & hay encourages chewing for long periods of time and helps to keep their teeth in good condition, which grow continuously throughout the guinea pig's life. The hay is best provided to them, if possible, in a hayrack attached to their cage wall.
http://www.petalia.com.au/templates/storytemplate_process.cfm?story_no=377

I'll see if i can find out how much by weight to feed. I'll be back later?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 03:56 am
@ANIMALGIRL,
ANIMALGIRL wrote:
my guiny pig is really fat and keeps demanding more
what should I do ?
xxxxx
love
ANIMALGIRL
PLEASE REPLY
If u want him to lose weight (wate)
then don 't feed him as much.

David
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 03:59 am
I'm gonna suggest that you feed your GP about 1 cup of fresh vegetables and fruit per day. In addition you should allow your guinea pig to graze on fresh grass or hay. The open cage floor in the backyard as i suggested in the post above is the easiest.
Does your GP get any excercise? Take him/her out of his cage and let it run around. Watch closely cause he might get into mischief and he might poo and you will have to clean up.
Your GP might complain if you put him on a diet but you will have to be tough and not over feed him. (just like when mum makes you tidy your room.)
Here is the RSPC site with info on guinea pigs
http://kb.rspca.org.au/What-should-I-feed-my-guinea-pig_258.html
0 Replies