fell apart and that cigar, what mean?, please

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 10:13 am
this phrase "fell apart and that cigar" has a meaning i can not recognize.Can you help to understand it?
" her depression as her relationship with Bill Clinton fell apart and that cigar......
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 733 • Replies: 11
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 10:14 am
@juan31127,
Means nothing to me, either. More context might, or might not help.
chai2

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 10:17 am
@roger,
Does the name Monica ring a bell roger?

Just making an educated guess here, but perhaps the entire sentence would read...

" her depression as her relationship with Bill Clinton fell apart and that cigar......
incident with him didn't help none either."

roger

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 10:22 am
@chai2,
Un huh, but it never occured to me that Monica could be depressed. Just didn't seem to have that kind of sophistication.
Irishk

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 10:27 am
@roger,
Looks like it was a description of an interview Monica did with Barbara Walters:

Quote:
In what will undoubtedly be the must-see TV of the week, Monica Lewinsky talks to ABC's Barbara Walters about her terror of Ken Starr, her depression as her relationship with Bill Clinton fell apart, and that cigar. Walters's interview, which airs Wednesday at 9 p.m., was taped in New York on Feb. 20. Walters describes the former White House intern, now 25, as energetic and articulate-qualities Lewinsky says were attractive to Clinton.

Their relationship was an emotional roller coaster for Lewinsky, and she became depressed as the affair disintegrated; her emotional …

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-54012152.html
sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 10:29 am
@juan31127,
juan, "fell apart and that cigar" is not a phrase.

"... her depression as her relationship with Bill Clinton fell apart" is one section of the sentence.

It refers to Monica Lewinsky, who had a relationship with President Bill Clinton, becoming depressed when that relationship started to "fall apart," a way of saying that they were breaking up.

"...and that cigar...." is another section.

Chai came up with a plausible context, could you post more? Then we could answer more definitively.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 10:33 am
@Irishk,
Thanks Irishk! Nice Googling.

OK, so Monica Lewinsky talks about (at least) three things in an interview.

One of those things is how much Ken Starr scared her.

Another one of those things is how she became depressed as her relationship with Bill Clinton fell apart.

Another one of those things is "that cigar." Those of us who followed the news at the time know what "that cigar" alludes to. (Um, do I have to say what it alludes to? I'd rather not.) Suffice it to say, the story is well enough known that all that is necessary is to say "that cigar" and most American readers will catch the meaning.
panzade

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 10:48 am
well done y'all.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 11:12 am
@sozobe,
soz, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 11:35 am
@chai2,
sometimes. not this time. (stupid clinton.)
chai2

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 12:03 pm
@sozobe,
(extra stupid monica) Laughing
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 11:25 pm
That cigar, stained dress, Clinton in a real mess
Linda Tripp dropped a dime, I watched it on Dateline.
0 Replies