publications from representative community settings

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 12:19 am

What does "Rudan and colleagues uncovered a treasure trove of Chinese language publications from representative community settings in China" mean?

I think "community settings" refers to "clinics and such in communities"?
Can you rewrite the sentence in plainer English?

Context:

In The Lancet this week, Igor Rudan and colleagues3 from the Child Health and Epidemiology Reference Group (CHERG) present information from a comprehensive analysis of hitherto unexplored Chinese scientific publications and data from the national surveillance systems. Rudan and colleagues uncovered a treasure trove of Chinese language publications from representative community settings in China, and analysed the information with standard CHERG methods to generate information about trends and causes of neonatal and child mortality rates. The results are striking and provide robust information about cause-specific child mortality estimates, trends, and differentials. The information is important, and although the findings are broadly similar to those obtained from a recent review based on the national Maternal and Child Mortality Surveillance System (MCMS), some aspects differ from official data.4, 5 The mortality denominators are also quite different. For example, the number of deaths caused by rotavirus infections in China was estimated to be about 10 400 per year in 2004.6 Today's analysis clearly suggests that, with fewer than 10 000 deaths per year associated with all-cause diarrhoea in China, the previous estimates were probably three times higher.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 666 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 04:30 am
I believe that by representative community settings the gentleman means publications which represent a broad range of Chinese communities, i.e., cities and/or regions, urban and rural settings. A broad range of community settings, for example, in the United States would mean both small town, rural locations as well as urban locations, from all the regions of the United States--New England, the Mid-Atlantic States, the "Old South," the Midwest, the "Deep South," Texas and Oklahoma, the Great Plains, the Mountain States, California, the Pacific Northwest, Alaska and Hawaii.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 03:32 pm
@oristarA,
treasure trove = a very valuable/pertinent bunch of documents
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 11:19 pm
Thank you all.
0 Replies