WHAT ALL CAN AN I-PAD DO?

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 09:47 pm
Im thinking of a droid but I dont like the teeny screens of my blackberry and I hate surfing on such teeny screens. YET an I-Pad doesnt have a phone. SO, should I get and I-pad and get a simple cricket phone?
I often write from my blackberry so I really **** up my normally poor spelling because of my "no feeling and missing fingered left hand". I need a phone but need a notebook and a text and surf platform just as much.

ANYHELP?

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 09:50 pm
@farmerman,
I wonder if the iTouch is basically an iPhone without the phone option and considering some people have hacked the iTouch to add a phone capacity to the iTouch ... and since the iPad is just an oversized iTouch ... can one assume that someone will eventually hack the iPad and turn it into an oversized iPhone as well?

Of course, holding up the iPad upto one's ear is a tad gooberish!
farmerman

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 09:52 pm
@tsarstepan,
we could outfit it with a bluetooth gizmo.
An I pad allows me to do word processing yes?, surfing yes? texting yes?
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 09:55 pm
@farmerman,
Surfing yes. Word processing ... probably. Why not. Though I bet the screen keyboard will be a hassle though one can plug in a physical USB style keyboard if you buy the special USB converter dongal that can plug into the iPad.

Texting? If there isn't a phone capacity? I doubt it. But then one could use email and chat and twitter as texting alternatives I suppose.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 09:57 pm
@tsarstepan,
Keep in mind though the size of the hard drive will be a limiting factor. The iPad will not be a laptop replacement. It's not designed for that purpose.
farmerman

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 10:05 pm
@tsarstepan,
Well tell me, whats its capacity?
I really would like some answers cauase I may buy one and the ability to only surf or read a book hardly makes it a must have.

I do a lot of report writing and I get ideas all the time. Now I just keep a laptop in the truck or luggage (They are incredibly delicate IMHO )
JTT

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 10:31 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Of course, holding up the iPad upto one's ear is a tad gooberish!

You could disguise as a little man and make a holder to set it on your shoulder like the one the geek made [not the one with the rolled up tie, the other guy] from, what's that office cartoon called??? .
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 10:34 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Well tell me, whats its capacity?
I really would like some answers cauase I may buy one and the ability to only surf or read a book hardly makes it a must have.

I do a lot of report writing and I get ideas all the time. Now I just keep a laptop in the truck or luggage (They are incredibly delicate IMHO )

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad
16GB's, 32GB's, and 64GB's.
mismi

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 10:38 pm
@farmerman,
I would wait a generation or two...
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 10:40 pm
@tsarstepan,
I would suggest you get a netbook instead of an iPad.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 05:20 am
@farmerman,
Looking at the iPad From Two Angles

Quote:
Review for Techies

The Apple iPad is basically a gigantic iPod Touch.

There’s an e-book reader app, but it’s not going to rescue the newspaper and book industries (sorry, media pundits). The selection is puny (60,000 titles for now). You can’t read well in direct sunlight. At 1.5 pounds, the iPad gets heavy in your hand after awhile (the Kindle is 10 ounces). And you can’t read books from the Apple bookstore on any other machine " not even a Mac or iPhone.

When the iPad is upright, typing on the on-screen keyboard is a horrible experience; when the iPad is turned 90 degrees, the keyboard is just barely usable (because it’s bigger). A $70 keyboard dock will be available in April, but then you’re carting around two pieces.

At least Apple had the decency to give the iPad a really fast processor. Things open fast, scroll fast, load fast. Surfing the Web is a heck of a lot better than on the tiny iPhone screen " first, because it’s so fast, and second, because you don’t have to do nearly as much zooming and panning.

But as any Slashdot.org reader can tell you, the iPad can’t play Flash video. Apple has this thing against Flash, the Web’s most popular video format; says it’s buggy, it’s not secure and depletes the battery. Well, fine, but meanwhile, thousands of Web sites show up with empty white squares on the iPad " places where videos or animations are supposed to play.

The bottom line is that you can get a laptop for much less money " with a full keyboard, DVD drive, U.S.B. jacks, camera-card slot, camera, the works. Besides: If you’ve already got a laptop and a smartphone, who’s going to carry around a third machine?

Review for Everyone Else

The Apple iPad is basically a gigantic iPod Touch.

The simple act of making the multitouch screen bigger changes the whole experience. Maps become real maps, like the paper ones. Scrabble shows the whole board, without your having to zoom in and out. You see your e-mail inbox and the open message simultaneously. Driving simulators fill more of your field of view, closer to a windshield than a keyhole.

The iPad is so fast and light, the multitouch screen so bright and responsive, the software so easy to navigate, that it really does qualify as a new category of gadget. Some have suggested that it might make a good goof-proof computer for technophobes, the aged and the young; they’re absolutely right.

And the techies are right about another thing: the iPad is not a laptop. It’s not nearly as good for creating stuff. On the other hand, it’s infinitely more convenient for consuming it " books, music, video, photos, Web, e-mail and so on. For most people, manipulating these digital materials directly by touching them is a completely new experience " and a deeply satisfying one.

The bottom line is that the iPad has been designed and built by a bunch of perfectionists. If you like the concept, you’ll love the machine.

The only question is: Do you like the concept?
farmerman

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 06:02 am
@DrewDad,
Hmm, not so much.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 06:14 am
From what I've read, the drawbacks outweigh (for me) the positives... you have to hold it and it's 1.5 lbs, so that would get a little tiring... you have to go in an out of different applications, which can be annoying...and there's no camera, which is a biggie for me since I use Skype a lot... so, if I were to buy one, I'd wait until they fixed those problems.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 07:42 am
@farmerman,
Since you keep a laptop in the truck or luggage your best bet is a nettop. I've looked at all the PDA's, smart phones, multi-function hand-helds, iPads, blah...blah...blah.

All of them are weak compared to a nettop, thus I do not own any of them small devices. I do own some single function mini-devices however such as a high resolution four channel audio recorder and a HD video camera etc.

Nothing comes close to a nettop overall, they have the power, versatility, screen size and keyboard needed to do many jobs really well without being too big. Just get a cell phone with the features you need as an adjunct and you're off to the races.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 07:46 am

This shud be interesting

David
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 08:53 am
@Chumly,
Oops I meant netbook.
BillRM

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 11:04 am
@Chumly,
I agree a netbook seem both far more powerful and far far cheaper so I see little point to an I-PAD.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 11:22 am
Buying one of those rugged-cased laptops isn't an option? Haven't seen the notebook versions, but I've played with a few portable ultrasounds machines in those types of cases that seemed (relatively) indestructible.
DrewDad

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 11:41 am
@patiodog,
Popular Mechanics recently had an article about how to make your portable electronics more rugged.

How to Ruggedize Your Own Gadgets (With Video!)
BillRM

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 11:45 am
@patiodog,
A good case seem to be helpful and I take my plain old cheap netbook everywhere and never had a problem as a result.

I do not leave either my home or the country without it.
0 Replies