Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 11:34 am
The iTablet has finally been unveiled after months of speculation regarding its functionality. And in a turn sure to shock technophiles worldwide, Apple CEO Steve Jobs, moments ago, revealed that the new device is in fact nothing more than a glorified ass-wiping machine. A tiny electronic ass-wiper. That also plays MP3s.

The industry elite and relevant media personnel lingered in a dazed silence for minutes after Jobs' announcement, until he engaged in a live demo, prompting the hall to quickly empty.

And still the iTablet is expected to net Apple millions more than the iPhone did after its release. Because as long as it's handheld and made by Apple, you're going to buy it. You know you are.

Seed

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 11:54 am
@Gargamel,
Could have been so much more. But gotta love it when they rush **** to keep up with the times and not think about quality.
Seed

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 01:43 pm
@Seed,
Hmm the iPad with 3G unlimited coverage from AT&T for 30 bucks a month with an over all price of $499. Not to shabby.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 01:48 pm
@Gargamel,
My assumption for the last four months is that it's just an uncomfortably big iPod touch.
AbbieMcKenley

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 01:51 pm
@Gargamel,
That will not fit in a pocket...
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 01:52 pm
@DrewDad,
Many people are upset it is not running off of OSX
DrewDad

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 01:55 pm
@Seed,
They were dreaming.

Apple already has a successful OS with a touch-based interface, app store, and wireless integration. No need to reinvent the wheel.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 01:56 pm
@DrewDad,
Google voice figured out how to get around the app store: http://m.google.com/voice.

Buy an iPod touch, get a cell phone included....
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 02:02 pm
@Seed,
Seed wrote:

Hmm the iPad with 3G unlimited coverage from AT&T for 30 bucks a month with an over all price of $499. Not to shabby.

Nope

Quote:
The device is a 9.7-inch multitouch tablet that starts at $499 for 16 GB model that uses Wi-Fi to connect to the Internet.

A 3G model that can reach the Web through AT&T's network costs $130 more, plus $29.99 for unlimited data ($14.99 for 250 gigs). The first models are scheduled to ship in 60 days, the 3G versions 30 days later.

You can get a netbook with built-in WiFi for less; 3G cards are cheap, too.

I don't see it. If it's too big for a pocket, then why not go for a netbook?
DrewDad

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 02:07 pm
@DrewDad,
Wittiest response I've seen online about this: "well, iNever!"

http://makeuseof.com/tech-fun/images/iproduct-feel-special.jpg
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 02:50 pm
@DrewDad,
Great picture you posted!

By the way, I guess my comment was a bit vague. I didn't mean the the iPad with 3G streaming capabilities was 30 bucks. I meant it as to say that the service plan was 30 dollars. Sorry if it was confusing.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 02:52 pm
This product would be great if they could make it pocket sized as a phone so that I could carry it around with me.

No but seriously, this is a netbooks/kindle killer. The big news is iBooks and the pricing, together this kills the netbooks market (this is essentially an iphone turned into a netbook) and the e-reader market.

The iphone apps and are just icing on that cake. For many people this means no more laptop and e-reader. Kindle suffers the most right now, becoming very pointless (using a proprietary book format, costing almost as much for doing a lot less). Instead of a laptop (which I don't really use anymore) this is what I'd rather use when travelling etc.
Seed

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 02:57 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I didn't read all the spec on it. Is there a browser built into it? I assume so. Also I was going to wait till the Nook came out and get that, but this has me rethinking that. I really want an ebook reader. I have a netbook, but carrying more then on thing around when something can do both jobs is kind of pointless.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 03:02 pm
@Seed,
Seed wrote:
I didn't read all the spec on it. Is there a browser built into it?

Yes, it's essentially a big iphone or ipod touch with more power and the apps were made to take advantage of the bigger screen.

So for things like browsing the web on a couch or in bed, I'd prefer this than a laptop. It will be much more comfortable to hold and more like reading a book. That (small = more convenient) was a big appeal to netbooks and this can do almost anything a netbook can do and it's got netbooks beat in terms of size/convenience.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 03:07 pm
I agree that it is likely a Kindle killer.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 04:58 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
My assumption for the last four months is that it's just an uncomfortably big iPod touch.

Yup, it's a giant iPod. Exactly what most people expected. And it's priced to compete with NetBook style machines.

I would buy one of these before I would buy a NetBook. It's solid state, no physical keyboard, big enough to work with (unlike the iPod), and runs all the standard apps that I need to run my business. They also claim it's got 10hrs of battery life. That's more than sufficient for my daily activities away from the office. It makes the Kindle look like a child's toy.

I think Apple's got another winner on their hands. These things are going to sell like crazy.
Seed

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 05:02 pm
@rosborne979,
How long till the prices come down? I think it is a bit steep ( the 3G version) at $820 dollars.

Also remember it wont ship or sell for another 60 days so there maybe some changes with it before the actual hard release.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 05:06 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
This product would be great if they could make it pocket sized as a phone so that I could carry it around with me.

I think that's called an iPod.

Robert Gentel wrote:
No but seriously, this is a netbooks/kindle killer. The big news is iBooks and the pricing, together this kills the netbooks market (this is essentially an iphone turned into a netbook) and the e-reader market.

The iphone apps and are just icing on that cake. For many people this means no more laptop and e-reader. Kindle suffers the most right now, becoming very pointless (using a proprietary book format, costing almost as much for doing a lot less). Instead of a laptop (which I don't really use anymore) this is what I'd rather use when travelling etc.

I agree with this assessment.

Assuming the device is durable and I can toss it on the seat of my car, then flick it on (instant "on" due to solid state memory) when a customer calls, then I've got what I need to run my office remotely, and have a hand-held device for casual web surfing and reading in the living room.

If they put a camera on the next version and offer a video-conf phone app and get the price down another $200 then they're going to have a culture-changing product.
Seed

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 05:11 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
If they put a camera on the next version and offer a video-conf phone app and get the price down another $200 then they're going to have a culture-changing product.

I am pretty sure all that is already in the works. I mean how long did it take the iPod to get a camera? But then again it took what 5 years for the iPod touch to come out?
ossobuco

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 05:13 pm
@Seed,
I'm outta this, I don't have immediate concern unless my Imac explodes on me. However, if it does, this might be what I'd replace it with.

Here's a SF Chronicle article giving a presentation of the.. presentation -

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/techchron/detail?entry_id=56083
0 Replies