Do you have to buy an iPad specific to the area you live in?

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 08:39 pm
I know...dumb question to all you techies...

However, I'm gonna be passing through Singapore soon, and it would be great if I could get an iPad.

But...do I have to get one designed for Australia?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,044 • Replies: 6
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 10:16 pm
@dlowan,
Bumping a little desperately.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 10:34 pm
@dlowan,
I am nearly certain that you don't. Especially if you don't plan to use the cellular data connection, that one is just wifi so I can't think of any technical reason why you'd need a region-specific one. If you want to pay for a cellular data connection, however, I'd make sure to check.

A buddy of mine is in Vegas right now, so I finally got around to ordering one myself and should have it when he gets back in a few weeks.
dlowan

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 02:44 am
@Robert Gentel,
Let us know what you think!

What's a cellular data connection?
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 01:18 pm
@dlowan,
Oh, I'm sure I'll enjoy it a lot. I already find the form factor of laptops too big. I'll do a lot of reading on it.

As for your question it is internet through cellular service. If you want to pay a cell phone provider for internet you should get that model (and make sure it's compatible with your phone company) but I'm just getting the wifi version because cellular data here isn't that great.
dlowan

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 09:09 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Well, I need wifi and 3G...that's A$ 1,049.00 for a 64GB device and only a bit less for a 32 GB.

I'll need to look into what value of electrical items I can bring back duty free and the cost OS before making up my mind. I'll be travelling on the smell of an oily rag.

For me cutting down on paper books (much as I love them) is a wonder and a glory!!! I currently read on my iPhone, but it really is a bit too small.

I can get less new books on e devices than you, I would guess, as we adhere to the English rather than US side of the great publishing divide.

Edit:

No benefit to buying in the USA...US$829

Not available in Singapore yet!!!

Looks like I'll be holding off and saving money big time until I can afford one.

Unless Singapore has 'em by September 2nd and they're cheaper.

dlowan

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 04:56 am
@dlowan,
Oh my! I bought an iPad!!! (2 year's ïnterest free")

Waiting for my 3G plan to be activated so I can read on it (have to download kindle for ipad)

But oh my!
0 Replies