ABE5177

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 12:10 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

allow pilots to munch Valiums (or whatever) when flying:

that's a lie, can't your READ?
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 12:12 pm
this is not about women....the go to answer for everyone for everything is to pop a pill, it just so happens that women seek emotional/mental help more than men do so they get more antidepressants.
ABE5177

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 12:15 pm
@hawkeye10,
yep, sure women get treated for depression more they get diagnose3d mor because they ASK FOR HELP MORE

maybe they have a point they do live longer
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 12:17 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
Second, the writers are sympathetic to women! How can you read otherwise? They say that these women need rest and extra nutrition after the depleting experience of pregnancy. The doctors who prescribe anti-depressants are the one's lacking sympathy for women . . . which is the criticism this article makes.
I did not read it so I will take your word for it. Considering that they take an issue that is not about women and not only make it about women but then by throwing the "burka" in making the women the victims, the lack of objectivity is evident.
plainoldme

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 12:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
They use the burka as a image, saying that just as Muslim women are shielded from the world by their burkas, so many post-partum women are shielded from their own sense by drugs. In their practice, they treat women with rest and nutrition.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 12:39 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
I assure you that anti-depressants don't make you walk around clicking your heels with a bluebird on your shoulder. It's really insulting that the authors of this article blame women for being spoiled little princess' who just can't "cope".

Sometimes coping means recongizing that you have a problem and getting help.

Yup.

I suppose pain relievers, antibiotics, and allergy medications are next on the chopping block....
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 12:43 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
Here are some facts that should send up a big red flag about the over prescribing of these medications: Women make up 50 percent of the U.S. population yet account for 79 percent of the prescriptions for antidepressant drugs. One out of three doctor’s visits by women involves an antidepressant prescription. Antidepressant use during pregnancy has increased from 5.7 percent in 1999 to 13.4 percent in 2003. Currently there is a class action suit against the makers of the antidepressant Paxil alleging that the drug taken during pregnancy causes heart valve birth defects. The current meta-studies indicate that anti-depressant drugs don’t work for the vast majority of people they are prescribed for and cause a host of unpleasant side-effects including loss of sex drive and weight gain. Because these drugs mostly do not get to the root of the problem, doctors keep increasing dosages and adding drugs onto the first prescribed medication creating a numbing chemical burka. This chemical burka is robbing our country of the women’s voice of sanity that it desperately needs.

Out of that deluge of data, the part I emphasized is the only one that actually supports the idea that there is a problem.

Trust me, antidepressants don't "create a numbing chemical burka".
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 12:53 pm
@ehBeth,
It is also the pharmaceutical industry's way of covering their butts for any potential lawsuits over defects in their drugs. They spend half the commercial time telling you of all the possible side effects so they can then say, "well, we warned you."
ABE5177

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 12:53 pm
@DrewDad,
so you know the pills work because of what you quote current meta-studies indicate that anti-depressant drugs don’t work for the vast majority of people they are prescribed for and cause a host of unpleasant side-effects including loss of sex drive and weight gain so were you better off before you took them or after?
""
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 12:54 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
They use the burka as a image, saying that just as Muslim women are shielded from the world by their burkas
no, ask a Muslim about burkas and they will likely say that it is a part of their heritage that they are proud of, ask a westerner and they will say ten out of ten times that it is a part of the oppression of women. They clearly intended the frame the question to conform to the victimization of women plot line.
ABE5177

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 12:55 pm
@Butrflynet,
yeah so what's wrong with THAT, you can't read either?
ABE5177

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 12:56 pm
@hawkeye10,
our women have a choice their women don't
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 01:00 pm
@ABE5177,
Quote:
our women have a choice their women don't
really? when a person goes in for a problem and they are told that popping these little beauties is THE answer they dont have a lot of choice. The only choice is between pursuing treatment and not.
ABE5177

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 01:04 pm
@hawkeye10,
but do ours get stoned if they go out without, that's the issue
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 01:17 pm
@ABE5177,
ABE5177 wrote:

Merry Andrew wrote:

allow pilots to munch Valiums (or whatever) when flying:

that's a lie, can't your READ?

Except that he incorrectly included Valium in the list of approved anti-depressant drugs for the pilots, it looks like he got the gist of it.

Excerpts from the article he cited:

Quote:
Beginning Monday, pilots with mild to moderate depression will be allowed to fly while taking antidepressants if they can demonstrate they have been satisfactorily treated for at least 12 months.

Quote:
Under the new policy, the FAA will, on a case-by-case basis, issue special medical certificates to pilots who take one of four antidepressants: fluoxetine (Prozac), sertraline (Zoloft), citalopram (Celexa) and escitalopram (Lexapro).

All four drugs can be used safely without side effects, the FAA said, and other medications will be considered as the agency gains experience and data under its new policy.
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 01:20 pm
@ABE5177,
ABE5177 wrote:

yeah so what's wrong with THAT, you can't read either?

Please let me know where in my post I said there was something wrong with it.

I read it just fine since I was responding specifically to ehBeth's post and nothing else.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 01:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
really? when a person goes in for a problem and they are told that popping these little beauties is THE answer they dont have a lot of choice. The only choice is between pursuing treatment and not.

You always blindly follow your doctor's treatment plan?

Poor little you, to be so weak minded.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 01:38 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
You always blindly follow your doctor's treatment plan?

Poor little you, to be so weak minded.

Can't you read? I clearly was not referring to personal experience.

Nice unprovoked hostility, having a bad day are you? Need your meds adjusted perhaps?
Chumly

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 01:39 pm
@aidan,
I love this!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 01:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
Well, I assumed you considered yourself to be "a person".

My bad.
0 Replies