Antidepressants Called "The American Burka"

dlowan

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 07:27 pm
@ABE5177,
ABE5177 wrote:

plainoldme wrote:

First of all, anti-depressants ARE over proscribed. My son and the school he attended thought he needed help and he saw anti-depressants as a silver bullet. He was diagnosed with bi-polar disorder and given medication . . . the medications were changed over the years until he ended up, at 19, overweight but with what the doctor called "dangerous" anemia. Working with his social worker and psychiatrist, he spent 18 months getting off prescription drugs.

how come 18 months, there's no instant stopping? withdrawal symptokams, likr with heroin or what?

NOT like heroin! Not with anti-depressants. People feel weird for a while. Usually takes a few weeks, not 18 months. I suspect more than anti-depressants were involved . The drugs used for bi-polar are not just anti-depressants.

In the US, it has become fashionable to diagnose bi-polar even in children, by the way, and use even more drugs than were poured down children's throats at the height of the ADHD plague.

This is the new gold strike for the drug companies and the doctors.
DrewDad

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 09:15 pm
@dlowan,
Antidepressants aren't addictive, like heroin, but there are termination effects.

(Just like with many common drugs once your body becomes accustomed to them. I get migraines if I stop caffeine cold-turkey, for example. I once got accustomed to Afrin; it was a miserable couple of days when I stopped.)

If you titrate your dosage correctly (my doctor had me 1/2 the dosage each week for a couple of weeks before stopping the medication), you can minimize the termination effects.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 11:22 pm
@ABE5177,
He was also taking anti-psychotics. You would be amazed what doctors pump into kids and how they get around a parental no. His doses were slowly cut back.
ABE5177

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 09:53 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

He was also taking anti-psychotics. You would be amazed what doctors pump into kids and how they get around a parental no. His doses were slowly cut back.

did your ex give his OK, or hwo was it done?
ABE5177

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 09:55 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

NOT like heroin! Not with anti-depressants. People feel weird for a while. Usually takes a few weeks, not 18 months. I suspect more than anti-depressants were involved . The drugs used for bi-polar are not just anti-depressants.

In the US, it has become fashionable to diagnose bi-polar even in children, by the way, and use even more drugs than were poured down children's throats at the height of the ADHD plague.

any permaanetn effects aftyer stopping?
plainoldme

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 11:14 am
@ABE5177,
Largely, the school insisted.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 04:11 pm
@ABE5177,
Well, I guess it is hoped that serotonin remains at normal levels.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 08:30 pm
@ABE5177,
Who knows? He now feels he was misdiagnosed. He met a psychiatrist socially and asked the doctor to guess what his diagnosis was. The shrink felt bi-polar was inappropriate.

The last two years he was on meds were the worst. His moods still swung . . . and I feel normal moods do . . . but they swung between ankle and knee level. He is happier and more cheerful without medication and his memory seems better.

0 Replies