Obama to Unveil Offshore Oil Drilling Plans

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 06:22 am

In a reversal of a long-standing ban on most offshore drilling, the president is allowing oil drilling
50 miles off Virginia's shorelines, and is allowing an expansion in Alaska's Cook Inlet to go forward.

http://wonkroom.thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/drill_book.JPG

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 07:54 am

Obama calls offshore drilling a 'scheme'

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/07/30/art.obamaoff.gi.jpg

"The oil companies are shoving this thing down the throats of Congress, because they know everybody wants to try to pretend they're doing something about the energy crisis,” Obama said. “This is not real. I know it's tempting. The polls say its one of the ways that a majority of Americans think we're going to solve this problem, but it's not real."

Obama then proposed his own answers:
"First of all, let's make the oil companies drill where they're already got leases, let's increase supply by making them do what they're supposed to do."

Obama also said he wants to make sure speculators aren't manipulating the oil markets.

To a standing ovation, he said, "And let's get serious about alternative energy sources like solar and wind and bio-diesel. Let's raise fuel efficiency standards on cars. Let's get plug-in hybrids all across America. Let's finally free ourselves from dependence on foreign oil. That's the direction we need to go."
farmerman

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 08:17 am
@H2O MAN,
weve been quietly drilling for gas while all the "Drill here assholes" were trying to make hay over exercizing leases that were negotiated at giveaway prices . Obama several months ago- gave the go-ahead on drilling on existing leases. The envrionmental issues still need to be adressed to avoid some of the problems that too fast permitting has resulted in , in upstate Pa where a few hoiuses have suffered explosions from gas wells that were poorly sealed and grouted.

Obama is the first president since Nixon who has aasked "why not"? to nuclear power plant construction

ALWAYS trying for issues and having stubbed their toes by being obstructionist and absent for health care reform (Even to the extent of chewing their own legs off) now , the GOP seems to be acting petulant again. Why not just say this is a good thing . If it was such a good thing where was the leadership in the BUSH years?
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 08:20 am
@farmerman,
I think Obama and Nixon will have a few more things in common before this is over.

Who will be Obama's Frost?
farmerman

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 08:24 am
@H2O MAN,
Id love it to be Sarah Palin, her keepers are trying to jack up her IQ to "low normal" by saturation coaching. Even so, she still doesnt get geography.

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 08:28 am
so, now folks are gonna bitch because he's doing something they wanted all along

when oh when are people going to realize that politicians lie, who cares what they say, judge them on what they do

if i ever run for office i'm going to tell people i'm going to raise the dead, would love to hear the bitching when i don't do it

plainoldme

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 10:53 am
@djjd62,
Of course they will . . . righties are thorough going hypocrites.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 11:41 am
@H2O MAN,
It's a negotiation point, to get other stuff he wants. What's the big surprise? This is what good politicians do.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 12:26 pm
@plainoldme,
Is it hypocritical for those who praised Obamas position during the campaign of not opening up drilling....to now defend this reversal of position? Is that hypocritical at all?

Or how about someone like me, who voted for Obama, who sees this as just one more let down of his previously promising presidency. It really seems that for every 1 thing he does that I like, he does 4 things that I dislike. At this point I'm staying home in 2012, if it doesn't stop I'll be actively voting against him.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 12:30 pm
Rolling Eyes For some reason a member of A2K thinks it's all about Obama's Vagina and has tagged it that way.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 12:38 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Is it hypocritical for those who praised Obamas position during the campaign of not opening up drilling....to now defend this reversal of position? Is that hypocritical at all?

Or how about someone like me, who voted for Obama, who sees this as just one more let down of his previously promising presidency. It really seems that for every 1 thing he does that I like, he does 4 things that I dislike. At this point I'm staying home in 2012, if it doesn't stop I'll be actively voting against him.

It is a letdown. I do not agree with this decision, for the simple fact that it won't buy a single Republican vote and there's no reason to do it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 12:48 pm
Here's a different take on the issue -

Quote:
ALL PART OF THE PLAN.... We talked earlier about the Obama administration's apparent intention to allow new oil and natural gas drilling along the Atlantic coastline, the eastern Gulf of Mexico, and the north coast of Alaska. Given that this move could be used as a bargaining chip with Republicans during negotiations on energy policy, I questioned what the White House would get in exchange for the president's concession. If the president has already effectively given Republicans what they wanted on energy, what will he get in return?

A Hill staffer I know emails with an alternative look at the same dynamic, suggesting President Obama is playing a game we've seen before. I'm republishing the staffer's email with permission.
Quote:

Obama preempts the other side's most resonant arguments, which forces them to come up with more and more extreme claims in order to differentiate themselves. In the end, he occupies the reasonable middle ground and his opponents are Palinized. It doesn't always work -- on the national security/gitmo/Miranda stuff, for example, it turns out the utter extreme positions the right is left with given the centrist ground Obama has staked out turns out to be fairly popular. But even there, the Administration has had reasonable success pushing back on the Miranda nonsense and, because they effectively occupy the tough, pragmatic middle ground, they routinely get cover from non-crazy Republican national security voices, which has helped blunt the force of these issues. (I understand that the term "middle ground" is very slippery and dangerous here, but I basically use it to mean policies that, before the great crazy of 2009 had broad consensus support from large portions of both parties and the Broder/Friedman/Brooks axis.)

At the same time, the policy is a tailored, measured version of what the Republicans have urged -- so, yes, the headline is, 'Obama Allows New Offshore Drilling/Presses For Energy Independence,' but at the same time, California/Oregon/Washington where opposition is strongest isn't included, and there are environmentally-friendly changes to Alaska leasing policy announced at the same time. And again, as we've seen before, Republicans are sort of forced to twist and parse, and even to oppose things they have long supported, just because the Administration hasn't gone far enough.

Finally, by announcing the drilling policy without seeking to extract concessions, the Administration makes clear that it is their policy and they are the centrist/flexible/pragmatic ones -- making it harder for Republicans to argue that they accomplished this or that they forced Obama to do it. [...]

[O]f course, if there was any reason to believe that Republicans would engage in normal negotiation/compromise, then I see why holding this back and trading it for support of a broader package would make sense. But does anyone really think there are Republicans to negotiate with on this stuff? And if Republicans do come to the table, Obama still has plenty of room to give, including by simply agreeing to sign a law that makes proposals like this a matter of statute, not executive discretion.

That's an interesting take. Something to keep in mind.

And by the way, right on cue, House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio) denounced the administration's drilling plan, despite its similarity to GOP demands, with Boehner expressing his outrage that the president didn't go further. What a shock.
"Steve Benen 11:05 AM

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2010_03/023133.php

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 12:59 pm
Political chess is a complex game. You need to look beyond the tactics to see the strategy.
maporsche

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 01:32 pm
@rosborne979,
I'd love you to explain what 'we' get out of this.

I mean if he's trading offshore drilling for a $1.50 gasoline tax, then I'm all for it.

If he's doing it to make his re-election bid a little easier to win so that he can get elected and make some more horrible decisions, then I'm 100% in opposition.

I mean, why not trade abortion rights for a few votes? Or this new health care bill? Why not trade everything he used to stand for, for a few more votes?

I don't like it when I vote for a guy who tells me for 18 months what he's going to do and how he's going to change Washington politics and once he gets into office he ******* flat out reverses direction on a number of issues I support.
djjd62

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 01:33 pm
@maporsche,
follow my lead, never believe in anything and you'll never be let down
maporsche

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 01:35 pm
@djjd62,
I suppose that's an option.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 01:57 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
I'd love you to explain what 'we' get out of this.

During the campaign, Obama's basic energy plan was pretty good, and intended to move us toward renewable resources (and idea I support), but the transition can't happen immediately. We need a vector to carry votes in favor of renewable resources. I suspect (but don't know for sure) that offshore drilling is a way to curry favor with people who would otherwise oppose the renewable resource transition steps.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 03:24 pm
I tried to call the WH to protest at 5:14 only to learn the line is available between 9 and 5, M - F.

The number is 202 - 456 - 1111.

Of course, I signed a petition against it, from Oceania and will contact my Congressmen.

The oddest thing is that I hate sending emails to scott brown because he repulses me so.
maporsche

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 03:32 pm
@rosborne979,
I understand the intent of this decision. I just disagree with it. Obama said that we didn't have to sacrifice our ideals in order to get good policy in Washington. He just sacrificed his voters ideals and for nothing that I can see.

Really if this is an approach you're ok with, let's sacrifice abortion to get single payer.

Let's sacrifice our freedoms to get better security (wait, Obama supports that too).

Why are we even sacrificing this. There are huge majorities in congress. What a bunch of pussies.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 03:53 pm
Obviously Obama's own people explained the likelihood of paying for the new health plan while becoming further dependent on foreign oil...