Principles of Homeopathy Medicine

DrewDad

Tue 6 Apr, 2010 07:26 am
@Dr Nancy Malik,
You're citing a study with an n of 81? That's just pathetic.

With an n of 81, they tried 18 different medications? How many were in the control group?

How statistically significant is a 20% difference in this instance? That should be in the study, for which you provided no source.
Dr Nancy Malik

Wed 7 Apr, 2010 02:26 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

With an n of 81, they tried 18 different medications?

Homeopathy is customised medicine. Homeopathy does not have a single medicine for a given illness. A remedy that suits the individual's unique pattern of symptoms best is the the remedy that works

Do you mean to say research carried and published in reputed American Journal of Paedretics is not worth?
0 Replies

Dr Nancy Malik

Tue 13 Apr, 2010 11:42 pm
studies published in journals: results superior than placebo-4

Treatment of acute childhood diarrhoea, repeated in Nepal

In a replication of a trial carried out in Nicaragua in 1994, 116 Nepalese children aged 6 months to 5 years suffering from diarrhoea were given an individualised homoeopathic medicine or placebo. Treatment by homoeopathy showed a significant improvement in the condition in comparison to placebo.

Jacobs J., Jimenez M., Malthouse S., Chapman E., Crothers D., Masuk M., Jonas W.B., Acute Childhood Diarrhoea- A Replication., Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, 6, 2000, 131-139.

http://journals.lww.com/pidj/pages/articleviewer.aspx?year=2003&issue=03000&article=00005&type=abstract
0 Replies

oolongteasup

Wed 14 Apr, 2010 01:33 am
@dyslexia,
Quote:
Dr. Castro

k lets try law 8 to update the discipline

cut off the offending bit , saute in a garlic butter, consume at prayer time
0 Replies

Dr Nancy Malik

Fri 16 Apr, 2010 02:56 am
studies published in journals: results superior than placebo-5

"Homeopathic Treatment of Migraines: A Randomized Double-blind Controlled Study of 60 Cases,"

Bruno Brigo, and G. Serpelloni, Berlin Journal on Research in Homeopathy, March 1991, 1,2:98-106).

In Italy, a study was conducted on the effectiveness of homeopathic treatment on migraine, with 60 patients who were chosen randomly and participated in the double-blind study. Patients filled in a questionnaire on the frequency, intensity and the characteristics of the headache

They were given homeopathic medicine, a single dosage of the 30th centesimal potency, which was repeated four times in total with two week intervals. Eight medicines were chosen and therapists were allowed to give any of the two medicines to each patient. While only 17% of placebo-treated patients felt relief from migraine, an impressive 93% of patients who were given homeopathic medicine had good results.
aidan

Fri 16 Apr, 2010 02:59 am
@Dr Nancy Malik,
Dr. Nancy - I just wanted to let you know that I continued with the honey and my symptoms have eased and subsided. So I do think there is merit in that like/like remedy.
spendius

Fri 16 Apr, 2010 03:17 am
@aidan,
I have no views on homeopathy Rebecca but the opposition (scientific medical opinion) would say that your symptoms would have eased anyway in the same time period, that honey is pure sugar or that your response was psychosomatic.

The first I'm inclined to agree with but it also applies to a lot of scientifically approved remedies as well.

The main thing is that you feel better and could be confidently laid across a big brass bed without the risk of you sneezing and snottering continuously which is offputting to well brought up men although I find it rather attractive.
aidan

Fri 16 Apr, 2010 03:30 am
@spendius,
Laughing Laughing Laughing
That just made me laugh so hard because how could you know this - you couldn't - but it's uncanny.

I've been going through stuff, organizing pictures for albums and things and I have all my school notebooks from highschool on. I just keep stuff like that, so I'm reading my Medieval Life and Lit notes and of course I was a doodler so along with the encyclopedic notes I took are all these little comments in the margins which are so fun to read because they put me right back in the classroom.

Well apparently there was a girl named Jenny in my class and she was a mouth breather and a sniffler and I wrote, 'If Jenny sniffs one more time it will drive me insane!' in the margin there. And I'm reading this and thinking and laughing to myself - 'Oh my god - I've turned into a sniffler myself!'

No but, the honey works and the premise is scientific. I'm here among different native plants from those where I grew up and to which my system had reacted by developing a tolerance. So if I use a local honey, made from local flowers, this will enable my system to slowly develop a familiarity with and tolerance of the plants here. My friend Katrina told me that - and I think she's right.
Sniffing is over! And I don't even have to rehab off Afrin or Sudafed.

And who says it's only about cures - it's also about gentle and natural relief of symptoms. I don't listen to people who advise other people 'just to suffer' or take an addicitve substance as their only recourse.
So people just sat around and suffered for thousands of years before Glaxxo, Smith-Kline, and Pfizer came along?

This is not directed at you, of course, this is directed to anyone who scoffs at other peoples' experiences and beliefs- some people think they know everything.

Thank you for your good wishes for my histimine free (or at least tolerated) spring and summer though. I can't tell you how happy I am to have stopped sneezing.
0 Replies

Dr Nancy Malik

Fri 16 Apr, 2010 05:04 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Dr. Nancy - I just wanted to let you know that I continued with the honey and my symptoms have eased and subsided. So I do think there is merit in that like/like remedy.

That's great to know that you are recovering in a natural way. Using synthetic chemicals one can shorten the cycle of pain/ sufferings ( that should be done in acute emergencies) no doubt but if the problem is chronic and you have a patience and you don't want to get into endless cycles of repeated medications, one needs to look the natural way of treatment.

Let me give you an example. Conventional medicine uses anti-histamine for variety of issues like cough, eczema, etc. In homeopathy medicine, a medicine prepared from the histamine itself is used for the same problems the conventional medicine uses anti-histamine, and that too with great success. You see like cures like.
0 Replies

Dr Nancy Malik

Sat 17 Apr, 2010 06:26 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

I have no views on homeopathy Rebecca but the opposition (scientific medical opinion) would say that your symptoms would have eased anyway in the same time period, that honey is pure sugar or that your response was psychosomatic.

Homeopathy medicine is based on the science that the body, mind and emotions are not really separate and distinct, but are actually fully integrated. Homeopath physicians take physical as well as mental (state of the mind) symptoms. Thus a homeopathic medicine cures mind-body disorders, and mental and emotional disturbed states. Therefore they are excellent for psychosomatic diseases such as Migraine, Asthma, Peptic ulcer, Allergy, Ulcerative colitis, etc.
spendius

Sat 17 Apr, 2010 07:34 am
@Dr Nancy Malik,
Quote:
Homeopathy medicine is based on the science that the body, mind and emotions are not really separate and distinct, but are actually fully integrated.

Yes--I know Doc. So also do religious ceremonials and those mental states which are brought into being by them.

I spend half my time on A2K arguing with materialists about this matter.

I say materialists but I'm being sarcastic. They ought to think that every manifestation of these integrations is hocus pocus but they don't. They only think the ones inconvenient to them should be designated as such. Those they embrace, marriage say, or loyalty to a football team, a locality or a nationality, a dog, a boat, a motor car, a tuxedo, a style of soft furnshing and such like, are enthusiasms and the enthusiasms of others are, to them, targets for their vituperations which are themselves integrations of mind, body and emotions which satisfy their souls in a scientifically similar manner as do your tinctures, essences and distillations and the dignified accompianments of religious rituals and ceremonials.

These vituperations, despite being somewhat infantile and simple-minded, are given added force by the thought that science provides the evidence to justify their profoundly ignorant expression which is thought to be sufficient unto itself without actually going into any consideration, even casually, of what science means. The word science is deployed magically. It is felt to be socially superior to myths, legends and folk-lore and that one merely needs to say the word, interlarded in some meaningless verbiage, and one's inferiors are supposed to hush reverently and hang on the words of such wisdom which follow on, or drone on if you prefer, about such things as the great state of Texas being on the verge of destruction or that American science is on the way back to the Stone Age.
Dr Nancy Malik

Sat 17 Apr, 2010 08:43 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Yes--I know Doc. So also do religious ceremonials and those mental states which are brought into being by them.

I spend half my time on A2K arguing with materialists about this matter.

I say materialists but I'm being sarcastic. They ought to think that every manifestation of these integrations is hocus pocus but they don't. They only think the ones inconvenient to them should be designated as such. Those they embrace, marriage say, or loyalty to a football team, a locality or a nationality, a dog, a boat, a motor car, a tuxedo, a style of soft furnshing and such like, are enthusiasms and the enthusiasms of others are, to them, targets for their vituperations which are themselves integrations of mind, body and emotions which satisfy their souls in a scientifically similar manner as do your tinctures, essences and distillations and the dignified accompianments of religious rituals and ceremonials.

These vituperations, despite being somewhat infantile and simple-minded, are given added force by the thought that science provides the evidence to justify their profoundly ignorant expression which is thought to be sufficient unto itself without actually going into any consideration, even casually, of what science means. The word science is deployed magically. It is felt to be socially superior to myths, legends and folk-lore and that one merely needs to say the word, interlarded in some meaningless verbiage, and one's inferiors are supposed to hush reverently and hang on the words of such wisdom which follow on, or drone on if you prefer, about such things as the great state of Texas being on the verge of destruction or that American science is on the way back to the Stone Age.

Though off topic a bit, but let me add my bit to it.

1. Materialism & spiritualism are like our two legs. It's good to be materialistic & spiritual at the same time. If one is only materialistic it won't bring satisfaction to one's soul. If one is only spiritualistic & go to Himalayas for meditation, he/she won't be of any help to society. The good thing is to be spiritual in materialistic world.

2. Spirituality is distinct from religion.

3. I am not able to understand how you are relating medicine to religion & spirituality.
spendius

Sat 17 Apr, 2010 09:15 am
@Dr Nancy Malik,
Quote:
Materialism & spiritualism are like our two legs.

A materialist doesn't think so. A materialist can never accept any form of spirituality because to do so concedes the whole case. Perhaps you have yet to wade through the stodgy prose of D.M. Armstrong's Materialist Theory of Mind.

Quote:
Spirituality is distinct from religion.

Which is a bit like saying that sport is distinct from football.

Quote:
I am not able to understand how you are relating medicine to religion & spirituality.

I'm not. I'm relating health to religion and spirituality. I think of medicine as a back-up system which ideally ought not to be required so much as it is. An ill organism is, I think, often created by a lack of integration of the mind/body/emotion nexus. Inner stresses.

It is why Freud thought civilisation makes people ill and why Rabelais, who was a doctor, thought that laughing was beneficial to health. And maybe why Eco had his hero searching the monastry archives for Aristotle's fabled Book of Laughter in Name of the Rose.

0 Replies

Dr Nancy Malik

Wed 21 Apr, 2010 12:10 pm
studies published in journals: results superior than placebo-6

Taylor MA, Reilly D, Llewellyn-Jones RH, McSharry C, Aitchison TC (2000). Randomised controlled trials of homoeopathy versus placebo in perennial allergic rhinitis with overview of four trial series. British Medical Journal, 321:471"476.

editorial that was published in the BMJ concurrent with reference #5: "Taylor et al tested this placebo hypothesis in a randomised controlled trial in patients with perennial allergic rhinitis. Patients in both groups reported similar subjective improvement, but those in the homeoapthic group had singificantly grater improvements in objective measurements of nasal airflow than did the placebo group. The authors believe that when these results are taken together with the findings of THREE similar previous trials, it may be time to confront the conclusion that homeopathy and placebo differ."
0 Replies