Principles of Homeopathy Medicine

spendius

Thu 1 Apr, 2010 06:23 am
@Dr Nancy Malik,
I once had a severe pain in the muscle at the top of my arm which made it difficult to stub out a cigarette in an ashtray and lift a pint to my lips. The Doc tried a few things and none had any effect.

I tried acupuncture in desperation. It worked in two visits. I don't care if it was psychosomatic. It worked and the pain has never returned.
DrewDad

Thu 1 Apr, 2010 07:24 am
@Setanta,
I wonder if they've compared the efficacy of homeopathic medicine vs. no treatment at all?

If no treatment shows a cure rate of 80%, then I would expect homeopathic treatments to show a similar cure rate.

Then they can trumpet, "homeopathic medicine cures you 80% of the time", even though it's a simple case of the two things being temporally related.
aidan

Thu 1 Apr, 2010 07:52 am
@Dr Nancy Malik,
Quote:
Disease can be cured by a medicinal substance given in micro doses that produces similar symptoms in health people when given in large doses.
a. An onion is a substance which makes your eyes water and your nose burn. If you are having an attack of hay fever with watering eyes and a burning nose, a homeopathic remedy made from onion can relieve it.

If you wouldn't mind, I'd be interested in hearing more about this, specifically as it relates to hay fever.
I have never had hayfever or allergies in my life until this past year. I have never been a person who has ever had to take any medicine or pills on a daily basis so I have a real aversion to doing that- to the point that I will just sneeze and suffer until everyone around me says- 'Why won't you take some allergy medicine?'
I'm afraid that if I do - I'll end up taking them every day for months at a time and I don't want to do that.

A friend of mine here said to eat small amounts of the local honey in my tea or on my toast, as that will achieve the purpose you advocate here- introducing small amounts of the allergan into my system so that I build a tolerance. That seemed to work for me for a while, but the symptoms have started back again now.

What is this onion remedy for hayfever that you speak in the quote above?
rosborne979

Thu 1 Apr, 2010 08:09 am
Oh my god. How did this thread turn into a real discussion. It's like discussing the search for Noah's Ark or the Face on Mars. I can't bear to watch this train wreck any more (but I'm not sure I can look away) Smile

DrewDad

Thu 1 Apr, 2010 08:16 am
@aidan,
Here's how I see your options:

1. Suffer. This has the benefit of being free.
2. Take allergy medication. This is proven to temporarily alleviate some symptoms in most people.
3. Go get an allergy test, then take allergy shots. These are proven to work.
4. Pay money for what is essentially distilled water (if you're lucky). This is not proven to work.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 1 Apr, 2010 08:17 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:
If no treatment shows a cure rate of 80%, then I would expect homeopathic treatments to show a similar cure rate.

Then they can trumpet, "homeopathic medicine cures you 80% of the time", even though it's a simple case of the two things being temporally related.

Mr Auberon Waugh, of blessed memory, often said, in his profuse writings, that the same principle applied to a lot of the drugs doctors hand out (for a fee) and the palliatives advertised on TV.

That the body cures most illnesses in the same time period that the pills are taken and thus that the pills, which are obviously poisonous, have no effect but only seem to have. Not all pills though. But, with fees and advertising revenue involved, most of them.

It is worth remembering that homeopathy has social implications of a nature which are probably too complex to discuss on such a simple thread as this is.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Thu 1 Apr, 2010 01:31 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
acupuncture in desperation. It worked in two visits. I don't care if it was psychosomatic. It worked and the pain has never returned.

That is an excellent point. I don't much care why a particular treatment works. If it does what I want it to do, that's all that matters. People who say things like "That's a self-fulfilling prophecy" don't seem to understand this. Ain't nothing wrong with an efficient placebo.
wandeljw

Thu 1 Apr, 2010 01:36 pm
@Merry Andrew,
I believe acupuncture, if done properly, manipulates nerves at certain points in the body to alleviate certain types of muscle pain. There is something scientific about it.
Merry Andrew

Thu 1 Apr, 2010 01:40 pm
@wandeljw,
Oh, I don't doubt it. I know others who have had success with it. All I'm saying is that if Spendi is right, that the whole thing was psychosomatic, the acupuncture still worked and that is the only thing that matters.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 1 Apr, 2010 02:11 pm
@wandeljw,
There's some pretty respectable science on the efficacy of acupuncture.
0 Replies

roger

Thu 1 Apr, 2010 02:15 pm
@Merry Andrew,
True. I get good results on joint pain from Advil and Motrin. Store brands with the same ingredient don't seem helpful. If the problem is just in my mind and the pain relief is also in my own mind, so what?
0 Replies

Eorl

Thu 1 Apr, 2010 04:23 pm
Sure, the world's full of suckers. Why should you lot be any different? Scams like homeopathy wouldn't exist if you didn't

http://www.theness.com/neurologicablog/?p=40

I think that there are distinctions to be drawn between the various disciplines loosely falling under the "homeo" banner. Acupuncture and water that remembers are very different things with vastly different levels of credibility.

spendius

Thu 1 Apr, 2010 05:08 pm
@Eorl,
Quote:
Sure, the world's full of suckers.

Which is one way of claiming Eorl is not a sucker and with no further evidence. And an admission to being an unusual person.
spendius

Thu 1 Apr, 2010 05:13 pm
@spendius,
I've lost count of the number of times I've been suckered. Being assured how much I was loved as a smokescreen for an assault on my financial resources mainly. I did once vote though as well.
0 Replies

Dr Nancy Malik

Fri 2 Apr, 2010 02:30 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

You provide a single, dubious source describing a dubious result as though that underpins this dog and pony show you're trying to peddle here.

studies published in journals: results superior than placebo-2

Homeopathy in Children with non-streptococcal tonsillitis

A placebo controlled double blind research study was conducted at 10 different paediatric ENT centers of different hospitals of Kiev, Ukraine, on 158 child patients to investigate the efficacy and tolerability of a homeopathic combination remedy for the treatment of acute tonsilitis

Age group of patients was 6-10 years and with symptoms started within 48 hours. Patients selescted were with at least 8 score out of 15, which were based on intensity of five typical symptoms of tonsilitis.

Results showed that in the group treated with homeopathic preparation, symptoms fell down from 10.2 points to 1.0 points. Where as in placebo group, it was from 10 points to 6.5 points.

81 % of patients are completely free from the complaints within 4 days.

The tolerability in homeopathic group is 97.5%

The preparation contains Atropinum Sulf D5, Hepar Sulf D3, Kali Bi D4, Merc Bijodatus D8, Silicea D2

Der Kassenarzt 6: 40-42, 2006
0 Replies

Dr Nancy Malik

Fri 2 Apr, 2010 02:36 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

I tried acupuncture in desperation. It worked in two visits. I don't care if it was psychosomatic. It worked and the pain has never returned.

Great to see you in good. I am not into accupuncture, so I won't be able to comment on it. But I read somewhere: since President Nixon brought acupuncture back from China has interest in alternative medicine been so great. (in US context). Accupuncture was ridiculed a lot before it got accepted in West.
0 Replies

Dr Nancy Malik

Fri 2 Apr, 2010 02:50 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Quote:
Disease can be cured by a medicinal substance given in micro doses that produces similar symptoms in health people when given in large doses.
a. An onion is a substance which makes your eyes water and your nose burn. If you are having an attack of hay fever with watering eyes and a burning nose, a homeopathic remedy made from onion can relieve it.

If you wouldn't mind, I'd be interested in hearing more about this, specifically as it relates to hay fever.
I'm afraid that if I do - I'll end up taking them every day for months at a time and I don't want to do that.

A friend of mine here said to eat small amounts of the local honey in my tea or on my toast, as that will achieve the purpose you advocate here- introducing small amounts of the allergan into my system so that I build a tolerance. That seemed to work for me for a while, but the symptoms have started back again now.

What is this onion remedy for hayfever that you speak in the quote above?

You can know more about 'law of similars' at http://www.jorhodeshomeopathy.co.uk/jo-blogs/2008/10/like-cures-like.html

Your friend knowingly or unknowingly applying 'law of similars' on you.

There are many homeopathy medicines for hayfever. The one prepared from onion is Allium Cepa. It is indicated when catarrhal symptoms are worse indoors, better outside.The others medicines for hayfever are sabadilla, Psorinum, gelsimium, etc

Your concern of having repeated dose of anti-allergy drugs for long term is shared by many people because in the long run you became dependent on them.
0 Replies

Dr Nancy Malik

Fri 2 Apr, 2010 02:54 am
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:

1) BHMS is not a "regular" medical degree

The BHMS degree is officially recognised by Govt. of India. The legal status of homeopathy medicine in India is on an equal footing with both conventional and Ayurvedic medicine.
0 Replies

Eorl

Fri 2 Apr, 2010 03:37 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Oh my god. How did this thread turn into a real discussion. It's like discussing the search for Noah's Ark or the Face on Mars. I can't bear to watch this train wreck any more (but I'm not sure I can look away) Smile

You've got problems!?

I took the bait !! Mad
0 Replies

Dr Nancy Malik

Tue 6 Apr, 2010 03:23 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

You provide a single, dubious source describing a dubious result as though that underpins this dog and pony show you're trying to peddle here.

studies published in journals: results superior than placebo-3

"Treatment of Acute Childhood Diarrhea with Homeopathic Medicine: A Randomized Clinical Trial in Nicaragua,"
Jennifer Jacobs, L. Jimenez, Margarita, Stephen Gloyd,American Journal of Pediatrics. May 1994; 93: 719-725.

This trial in cooperation with the University of Washington and the University of Guadalajara involved 81 children aged from 6 months to 5 years in a randomised, double-blind trial of intravenous fluids plus placebo versus intravenous fluids plus homoeopathic remedy individualised to the patient. The treatment group had a statistically significant decrease in duration of diarrhoea.

The results showed that, the individualized homeopathic medicine showed clinically and statistically significant improvement in the children’s diarrhea, compared to the children treated with placebo.

Children that received homeopathic medicine recovered from infection 20% faster than the children treated with placebo. The children who were more sick reacted to the homeopathic treatment in a spectacular manner. In total the study used 18 different homeopathic medicines selected on an individualized basis according to the symptoms of each child.