Principles of Homeopathy Medicine

rosborne979

Wed 31 Mar, 2010 01:34 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
And you know that the person who started this thread is the real Dr. Nancy because....?

We're over-thinking this. It isn't necessary.

Homeopathy is snakeoil, pure and simple.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Wed 31 Mar, 2010 01:40 pm
All right. I'll go out on a liumb here. I'm not nearly as convinced as the rest of you that homeopathy is all snake oil and mumo-jumbo. Certainly herbal medication, part and parcel of homeopathic practice, is, for me, preferable to the chemical crap manufactured by the big pharmaceutical companies.
JPB

Wed 31 Mar, 2010 01:42 pm
Me neither, Andrew. I must say this is a tough crowd for a newbie who probably got here via dys' thread asking for input.
rosborne979

Wed 31 Mar, 2010 01:48 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Placebo's actually help some people. I wouldn't stop using them if they work, but I would differentiate between placebo effects and clinical effects.

Also, if you're taking a placebo and it's working... don't think about it too much or it'll kill the results, just go with it Smile
0 Replies

rosborne979

Wed 31 Mar, 2010 01:52 pm
http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/homeo.html
ehBeth

Wed 31 Mar, 2010 01:53 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Homeopathy is quite distinct from treatment by a herbalist. Dangerous to conflate the two.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 31 Mar, 2010 01:54 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:
a newbie

new to us - bit of a reputation out in the intraweb world
0 Replies

Linkat

Wed 31 Mar, 2010 02:06 pm
I still thoroughly enjoyed the lecture.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Wed 31 Mar, 2010 02:59 pm
@rosborne979,

Quackwatch was initiated by drug interests and their sole purpose is to throw mud on any and every alternative treatment. Many of their members are thugs and bullies of the most despicable sort. Of course, you won't get that impression just by dropping by their web site. They have gotten very good at disguising their motives and tactics.
Linkat

Wed 31 Mar, 2010 03:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
Well if they are bullies, I suggest we go beat them up!
0 Replies

rosborne979

Wed 31 Mar, 2010 06:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Quackwatch was initiated by drug interests and their sole purpose is to throw mud on any and every alternative treatment. Many of their members are thugs and bullies of the most despicable sort. Of course, you won't get that impression just by dropping by their web site. They have gotten very good at disguising their motives and tactics.

If you say so. I really don't know much about that site.

But regardless, there are many sources of information about Homeopathic "medicine", and from what I've read about it, it's still completely lacking in any scientific support for its claims. In my opinion, it's pseudo-scientific non-sense. (I don't mean to burst anyone's bubble, but that's just the way I see it. Sorry.)
0 Replies

Dr Nancy Malik

Wed 31 Mar, 2010 08:06 pm
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:

You can dilute your stock of the medicine an infinite number of times, and in doing so it just gets MORE effective.

Sucussion is a very specific and carefully controlled process which along with serial dilution, forms the basis of the potentization process, it is not some haphazard 'bottle shaking' as you seem to think. In Succussion those drugs that are soluble in Alcohol or Water are serially diluted with the media either alcohol or water and every dilution is followed by vigorous shaking which allows uniform mixing of drug substance in alcohol or water.
DrewDad

Wed 31 Mar, 2010 09:06 pm
@Dr Nancy Malik,
Dr Nancy Malik wrote:
it is not some haphazard 'bottle shaking'

No, it's very methodical bottle shaking.
Eorl

Wed 31 Mar, 2010 09:23 pm
@Dr Nancy Malik,
Dr Nancy Malik wrote:

Eorl wrote:

You can dilute your stock of the medicine an infinite number of times, and in doing so it just gets MORE effective.

Sucussion is a very specific and carefully controlled process which along with serial dilution, forms the basis of the potentization process, it is not some haphazard 'bottle shaking' as you seem to think. In Succussion those drugs that are soluble in Alcohol or Water are serially diluted with the media either alcohol or water and every dilution is followed by vigorous shaking which allows uniform mixing of drug substance in alcohol or water.

Please post reliable scientific evidence.

Seems to me like a huge snake-oil con built on 3 platforms;

1) Your authority as a "Dr"
2) The placebo effect
3) Sesquipedalians to bamboozle the ignorant
Dr Nancy Malik

Wed 31 Mar, 2010 11:36 pm
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:

1) Your authority as a "Dr"

Regular full time medical degree for a minimum period of 5 1/2 years (BHMS) that includes one year compulsory internship, is absolutely necessary for becoming qualified to practice homeopathy medicine in India as it gives a complete understanding not only about the structure and functioning of the human body but also a thorough understanding of the homeopathic philosophy and its practical utilization while treating diseased persons. And to do M.D. in homeopathy medicine further, admission is through an entrance examination, and you have to spend three more years after BHMS.
0 Replies

Dr Nancy Malik

Wed 31 Mar, 2010 11:37 pm
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:

2) The placebo effect

Placebo effect is equally there in conventional medicine. Here's an everyday example: when you take an aspirin or paracetamol or whatever for a headache, you might find yourself feeling a little better almost immediately. THAT is placebo; the pill will not have reached the target area that quickly, but a mental trick has occurred
Eorl

Thu 1 Apr, 2010 01:37 am
@Dr Nancy Malik,
1) BHMS is not a "regular" medical degree
2) Yes, that's right. Regular medicine also benefits from placebo effect. That does not make a practice that relies on it for results legitimate. One would expect the same result from actual snake-oil, though admittedly, with less side-effects
3) You didn't respond to my "3" so I'll take that as a "yes" shall I ?

All I need to stop being skeptical is some real scientific evidence that the results of your "medicine" are more effective than base-level placebo effects.

Setanta

Thu 1 Apr, 2010 02:58 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
Dr Nancy Malik wrote:
it is not some haphazard 'bottle shaking'

No, it's very methodical bottle shaking.

Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe . . .
0 Replies

Dr Nancy Malik

Thu 1 Apr, 2010 03:49 am
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:

All I need to stop being skeptical is some real scientific evidence that the results of your "medicine" are more effective than base-level placebo effects.

studies published in journals: results superior than placebo-1
Arnica Therapy in patients receiving knee surgery: Results of three randomised double blind trials

Researchers investigated the effeciveness of Arnica on post-operative swelling and pain

Three different randomised pacebo-controlled, double blind, and sequential clinical trials were conducted after arthroscopy, artficial knee joint implantation and crutiate ligament reconstruction.

A total of 227 patients were enrolled in the arthroscopy (33% females and the mean age was 43.2 years)

35 patients in artificfial knee joint implatation (71% females and mean age was 67 years)

57 patients in crutiate ligament reconstruction (26% females and mean age was 33.4 years)

The study conducted each with 2 parallel therapy groups, of which one recieved placebo, and the other with anica 30X.

The arnica Montana was manufacured by DHU in Karlsruhe, Germany in accordance with the guidelines of the German Homoeopathic Phamacopoeia.

In all the three trials, patient receiving Arnica showed a trend towards less post-operative swelling compared to patients with placebo.

Journal: Complementary Therapy in Medicne, Vol. 14, pp. 237-246, 2006
Setanta

Thu 1 Apr, 2010 05:41 am
In the first place, "showed a trend towards" is not a statement about a quantifiable clinical effect. Additionally, "Complementary Therapies in Medicine" is a journal which touts acupuncture, acupressure and herbal medicine in addition to "homeopathy." It can hardly be considered an unbiased source.

Finally, one swallow does not a summer make. You provide a single, dubious source describing a dubious result as though that underpins this dog and pony show you're trying to peddle here.