Picking our brains = checking out our brains?

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 12:12 am

Context:

Picking our brains: What are memories made of?
30 March 2010 by Emma Young

Magazine issue 2754. Subscribe and get 4 free issues.
For similar stories, visit the The Human Brain Topic Guide
MEMORIES are the basic stuff of thought. We access our stores of knowledge every time we perform a task, communicate through speech or formulate the simplest concepts. Yet the physical form of memory has long been mysterious. What changes occur in the brain when a new memory is encoded?

One thing we do know is that memory formation involves the strengthening of synaptic connections between nerve cells. Using sea slugs, which have a relatively simple nervous system, a team led by Kelsey Martin at the University of California, Los Angeles, last year became the first to watch memories being made, in the form of new proteins appearing at the synapses (Science, vol 324, p 1536).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 536 • Replies: 2
No top replies

aidan

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 12:24 am
@oristarA,
Sort of, but I use the term a little more specifically. When I say to someone, 'I want to pick your brain on such and such topic,' I mean that they are someone I specifically want to ask about a certain topic because I feel that they will have interesting insights or information about that topic that will be relevant to me and that I feel (or some other person) may not have.

In other words - they will be somewhat more of an 'expert' on a topic than I know myself to be on that topic.

For instance, if I'm planning on going to visit a city I've never been to, but I know someone else lives there, I might say to them, 'I want to pick your brain - what are some interesting things to do in ___________?'

So in terms of memories - this works - as everyone has individual and specific memories.

That's my take on it. I don't know if I did a very good job explaining it - and someone else might have a different take on it. It's sort of an amorphous concept.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 12:59 am
aidan's right--that's the way the term's generally used. I'd say the author is not using it the way most people would understand it, but rather more like your "checking out our brains"--she's the atypical one here.
0 Replies