American Express and the Harrison Group

fansy

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 08:11 pm
Quote:
They may not buy the 99-cent paper towels, but millionaires know what it is to be frugal. About 80 percent say they spend with a middle-class mind-set, according to a 2007 survey of high-net-worth individuals, published by American Express and the Harrison Group. That means buying luxury items on sale, hunting for bargains"even clipping coupons.

Does this American Express and the Harrison Group have anything to do with the "Publisher" or "Transport company"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 716 • Replies: 4
No top replies

JTT

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 10:50 pm
@fansy,
Who do you refer to when you say the "Publisher" and "Transport company", Fansy?
fansy

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 11:08 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
They may not buy the 99-cent paper towels, but millionaires know what it is to be frugal. About 80 percent say they spend with a middle-class mind-set, according to a 2007 survey of high-net-worth individuals, published by American Express and the Harrison Group. That means buying luxury items on sale, hunting for bargains"even clipping coupons.

I am revising a translation. As I understand, American Express Publishing is a publisher for express publishing. But this publisher is also a subsidiary of The American Express, an organization egaged in "payment" business, and also travel and the like. The translator gives a Chinese translation which, when translating back, would mean The American Express (Fast) Transport company publisher. I am not sure if this translation is correct or not. Intuitively, I guess the translation is not correct.
roger

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 12:01 am
@fansy,
It is not clear to me that American Express and the Harrison have any business relationship with each other. In any case, you should not become involved with the translated meaning of Express in American Express. The words are simply combined to form a single name. It would be a mistake to translate the company name into something like American Fast.

American Express is best known for issuing credit cards. It is also involved in banking. It would be unusual to refer to it as either a transport company or publisher, even though they might have certain activities in either field.

Somehow, I don't think I have helped, but like you, I do question the translation you are using.
fansy

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 01:15 am
@roger,
Quote:

I found the Chinese address for AmericanPress, which exactly mean what you said in your reply to my question.
And the Chinese Name does suggest that it has to do with transportation. I suppose the American Express was given a wrong Chinese name. Or the translator who did the translation thought that "Express" meant "fast transport" or "fast delivery", or something.
As a matter of fact, many American companies, past or present, have had different Chinese names, carrying knowingly or unknowingly very different meanings. So this is the conclusion I intended to arrive at.
0 Replies