Here's what happens to visitors to America.

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 05:22 pm

After a two year loan to the United States, Michelangelo's David is being returned to Italy .

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs475.ash1/26063_324758274911_665569911_3700426_8142204_n.jpg

Joe(I'll have a double bacon cheeseburger and the large fries)Nation

Rockhead

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 05:33 pm
@Joe Nation,
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

And his peter shrunk.

what the hell...

(is that not the most famous penis in the world, or is it Tommy Lee...)
ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 06:10 pm
@Joe Nation,
Ok, y'got me! (I've only seen the faux David..)
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 06:35 pm
I've seen this before . . . it is still shocking.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 07:08 pm
@Rockhead,
what you be doin' knowin' about other men's penises? huh?
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 07:12 pm
@Joe Nation,
I dont think we will be seeing the planned sequel, Son of David....there are too many physical problems with shooting.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 04:47 am
Ahem.
Relative to the measuring up: For every three inches of girth lost at the waist, for example, going from 44 to 36 inches, one gains two inches in length.

Joe(just saying)Nation
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 06:50 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
Ahem.
Relative to the measuring up: For every three inches of girth lost at the waist,
for example, going from 44 to 36 inches, one gains two inches in length.

Joe(just saying)Nation
That seems to be a new expression.
I don 't understand it.
What do u mean when u say: "just saying" ?

David
sullyfish6

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 07:28 am
From Art of the Arousal
by Dr. Ruth Westheimer:

"Since ancient times, idealized figures, such as Apollo, had been given small genitals; large genitals were the attributes of brutes or satyrs.

Michelangelo's David restored sexuality to the beautiful man, with his muscular toroso, outsized limbs, and large genitals. "
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 08:30 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I don 't understand it.

It's not new to me. We younger people use it all the time. Razz Razz

Let's see, it means "take what I just said for you think it's worth." and it's usually appended onto a statement that might be construed as impolite or impolitic so as to defuse any rebuttal.

"I'm not sure if those Obama people smoke dope, but do seem to giggle a lot after lunch. I'm just saying!"

There are sometimes when I've heard a person using it as kind of a disclaimer of fact or truth, as in "This is what I've heard, I don't know if it's true or not, but think what you might think."

"He's married, but when he goes on long lunches with whatshername, he leaves his wedding ring on his mousepad. Just saying."

When we used to play "talk like a pirate" there was another phrase which would get stuck onto the end of sentences as a kind of what my mother would say meant "like it or lump it. Take it or leave it. Whatever."

It always sounded very seventeenth century.
"Arr, lads, if we'da listened to the first mate we wun't have ended up here. (pause) There it be."

Joe(There it be.)Nation

aidan

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 08:39 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I think 'just sayin' means - that's just my opinion - take it for what you think it's worth.'
I saw Michaelangelo's David this past October. I went to Florence with my daughter who is an A-level art student and who informed me of the fact (because I'm NOT an A-level art student and never have been) that the reason that the statue of David was so reknown was because it achieved a perfect sense of proportion. Well, the minute I saw it, I thought to myself, 'His hands are HUGE and his you know what is tiny- and I didn't say anything but I thought to myself -' if he was into self-pleasure - that little thing would be lost in those hands'.... and that was even BEFORE he went to America and ate Big Macs.

I did however share these thoughts with a friend of mine and he said, 'Yeah - it's weird - because of the artist's specific sexual orientation you'd think he'd have emphasized that part of David's anatomy instead of de-emphsizing it. '

But he figured it had to do with religion and patrons, commissions, etc.

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 08:53 am
@sullyfish6,
Quote:
Michelangelo's David restored sexuality to the beautiful man, with his muscular torso outsized limbs, and large genitals.

An art theory holds that David's outsized limbs and head relative to the rest of the torso were purposefully sculpted to allow a more balanced view of David from the perspective of a viewer from the ground looking up at the sculpture from a few feet away.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 10:45 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
David wrote:
I don 't understand it.

It's not new to me. We younger people use it all the time. Razz Razz

Let's see, it means "take what I just said for you think it's worth."
and it's usually appended onto a statement that might be construed
as impolite or impolitic so as to defuse any rebuttal.

"I'm not sure if those Obama people smoke dope,
but do seem to giggle a lot after lunch. I'm just saying!"

There are sometimes when I've heard a person using it as kind of a disclaimer of fact or truth,
as in "This is what I've heard, I don't know if it's true or not, but think what you might think."

"He's married, but when he goes on long lunches with whatshername,
he leaves his wedding ring on his mousepad. Just saying."

When we used to play "talk like a pirate" there was another phrase which would get stuck onto the end of sentences
as a kind of what my mother would say meant "like it or lump it. Take it or leave it. Whatever."

It always sounded very seventeenth century.
"Arr, lads, if we'da listened to the first mate we wun't have ended up here. (pause) There it be."

Joe(There it be.)Nation

Thank u Joe; u r a very good teacher.
I remember kids in Arizona saying: "if u don 't like it, u can LUMP it!"
as meaning that, if u don t like it, u can go to hell,
or if u don 't like it, there 's nothing that u can DO about it.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 10:47 am
@aidan,
I see; thank u, Rebecca.

David
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 10:58 am
@Joe Nation,
The expression just sayin strikes me as snotty.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 11:01 am
@sullyfish6,
Interesting. I thought the small penis size in classical sculpture depicted the uncircumcised member.
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 05:29 pm
@plainoldme,
Just saying IS a weasel phrase.
(I deeply beg the pardon of all actuals weasels who are great creatures of the Universe.)
Let me try again.

It is a passive/aggressive form. "I'm saying something that is either controversial, uncomfortable or even rude but if I add 'just saying' I feel myself absolved. BUT it is usually used only amongst friends or by comedians for effect.

I don't think it's snotty. I think it's more wishy-washy which is still not the best conduct.

Joe(I pick up the worst habits)Nation
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 10:24 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
Interesting. I thought the small penis size in classical sculpture depicted the uncircumcised member.
That means it woud be bigger if it were circumcised ?
Ionus

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 10:28 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
To Dave : Who in their right mind trusts someone 'nough to let them cut bits off of their whizzer ?

To plainoldme : How can it be bigger if there is less of it ? Is this like cutting hair so it will grow ?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 10:34 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
Just saying IS a weasel phrase.
(I deeply beg the pardon of all actuals weasels who are great creatures of the Universe.)
Let me try again.

It is a passive/aggressive form. "I'm saying something that is either controversial, uncomfortable or even rude
but if I add 'just saying' I feel myself absolved. BUT it is usually used only amongst friends or by comedians for effect.

I don't think it's snotty. I think it's more wishy-washy which is still not the best conduct.

Joe(I pick up the worst habits)Nation
Joe:
TRUE or FALSE:
Use of the frase "just saying"
means "yada, yada, yada -- I 'm just SAYING that it is so,
that does not mean that it REALLY IS that way,
or
that does not mean that it REALLY IS true,
merely because I 'm saying that it is that way.
0 Replies