Did Michelle Obama were a $635.oo Maison Martin Margiela Shoes

she never were a shoe
she always were a person
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 02:11 pm
@eoe,
apparently, in december of 2009
http://www.thefoxnation.com/first-lady-michelle-obama/2009/12/29/what-recession-michelle-obama-wears-635-shoes-4000-night-vacati?page=2
What Recession? Michelle Obama Wears $635 Shoes on $4,000 Per Night Vacation

Barack Obama enjoys living like a king, so why shouldn't Michelle Obama live like a queen?

The First Lady was photographed last night in Hawaii wearing $635 per pair designer shoes by Maison Martin Margiela.

The shoe style is called "Leather open toe flat pumps." It features a "thin nude leather strap across the top of the toe."

A woman lucky enough to have a job in this economy and working for the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour would have to work 88 hours (without taxes taken out) to make enough to pay for Michelle Obama's shoes. If she can get them on sale, they would only set her back $445 for 62 hours work.

The Obamas are staying at an $8.9 million estate for an estimated $4000 per night. To cover the Obama's ten night stay, the minimum wage worker would have to work two-and-a-half years (before taxes) to come up with the $40,000 Obama is reportedly laying out.

Obama has lectured Americans about how they can not expect to live their lives as indulgently as they have in the past. He has lectured businesses about their travel and pay. Yet Obama and his wife live like kings and queens.

The news media has yet to call him out on his extravagance when there is 10% unemployment with no sign of the employment picture improving this coming year.
roger

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 02:17 pm
@Shaggy11,
I don't understand the issue. Is her clothing purchased by private funds, or from some special clothing allowance traditionally allowed to First Ladies? I have no problem with people spending their own money.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 02:19 pm
@djjd62,
Love your source, dj.

The story may well be factual but I'm amused by all the editorial comments at the end. Why in the world shouldn't a person who has a substantial amount of money to her name wear an expensive pair of designerwear?
ossobuco

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 02:23 pm
@eoe,
And who cares?

Many average shoes cost over a hundred dollars, and some still very average type shoes cost approaching $300.
http://www.colehaan.com/colehaan/catalog/pwp.jsp?l=shop,pwp,c-100/hf-10001+70016/t-WOMEN'S|SHOES

High end shoes tend to start higher than Michelle Obama spent.

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/catalog/templates/SC.jhtml?itemId=cat15470740&parentId=cat13030734&masterId=cat000141&cmCat=&view=superall&navid=viewallsubs

I'd like some good boots (too bad, girl).

I rarely buy shoes anymore since I'm still wearing my Danskos from years and years. They are well made and last a long time; I probably paid $110. a pair. A lot of people think they are ugly, but they are good for my feet, which have lasted quite well over the decades.

Crappo shoes wear out fast.
On the other hand, price doesn't always mean longevity per shoe.
My own key shoe grab was for a pair of Taryn Rose loafers on sale. They were in the $300-400. range marked down to $200. something. I waited, got them for about $125. I've worn them for six years.

About the subtext of the question, I don't mind if Michelle Obama buys nice shoes with her own money. Good for her.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 03:24 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

Love your source, dj.

The story may well be factual but I'm amused by all the editorial comments at the end. Why in the world shouldn't a person who has a substantial amount of money to her name wear an expensive pair of designerwear?

djjd's source: Fox Nation discussion board "Posted on Monday, December 28, 2009 9:16:00 PM by kristinn"

Apparently this is a serious issue in the emerging nation of Glennbeckistan.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 03:45 pm
@Shaggy11,
For those with a shoe/foot fetish, you can view photos of the First Lady feet fully sheathed in various shoe styles the past year:

http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/fashion/-1,michelle-obama-shoes-050109.photogallery?index=8

The people who wrote the captions for these photos don't mention that they've photographed the same shoes at several events in attempt to make people think Michelle has a lot of shoes.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 04:50 pm
@Shaggy11,
Shaggy11 wrote:

Did Michelle Obama were a $635.oo Maison Martin Margiela Shoes

I hope so.
0 Replies

Judy Coleman

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 04:07 pm
Remember the lovely, devoted wife Of President Reagan, and all the flak she took from the left for wearing lovely, and expensive clothes? Now those two made the U.S. shine.
I never felt talked down to, not once, during President Reagan's administration.
Just an aside comment
eoe

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 12:42 pm
@Judy Coleman,
Judy Coleman wrote:

I never felt talked down to, not once, during President Reagan's administration.
Just an aside comment

A lot of people feel "talked down to" when addressed by an educated man or woman of color.
Just an aside comment
djjd62

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 12:46 pm
@eoe,
eoe wrote:

Judy Coleman wrote:

Just an aside comment

A lot of people feel "talked down to" when addressed by an educated man or woman of color.
Just an aside comment

i wouldn't have called reagan educated, and you really shouldn't mention colour, i mean sure he was a ginger but they're people too (i think)
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 06:02 pm
Every time Reagan did his "There he goes again" against Carter, I felt talked down to and so did anyone who didn't accept his pat answers for everything. Turns out it was all for show, he was an actor after-all, cut all the taxes for the rich and if there's a deficit, walk away like nothing happened. Talked down to, hell, I just wish once he had given a straight answer when asked a question which wasn't a planted softball.

Joe(well, now we know)Nation
ossobuco

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 06:20 pm
@Joe Nation,
Hard for me to post, I was extremely anti reagan. including JN's fillip.
0 Replies

ppapachubby

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 07:32 am
What's the problem with her wearing these shoes?? Because the Administration is telling the rest of America to live frugally and chastising others who make big money and casting them as villains!!! The French phrase "Qu'ils mangent de la brioche" ( let them eat cake ) comes to mind here!
0 Replies