Bill O'Reilly: Pop culture poisons kids

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 11:13 am
New York Daily News - http://www.nydailynews.com
Pop culture poisons kids
Bill O'Reilly
Monday, October 27th, 2003

If you've ever wanted to be a reporter, here's your chance. Walk into any record store and ask the clerk who's buying the new CD by gangsta rapper Ludacris, with the sure-to-be classic tune "Hoes in My Room."
Then go to the nearest multiplex theater and see who's buying tickets to "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" and "Kill Bill," a movie some have labeled the most violent film ever made.

But if you don't want to do the leg work, I can tell you right now who is consuming these products: children.

Let's take a look at "Kill Bill" (which, by the way, is not about me). The New York Times writes: "The undeniable passion that drives 'Kill Bill' is fascinating, even, strange to say it, endearing." Wow, that sounds like fun. We all like "endearing."

Well, cuddle up to this: "Kill Bill" features seven arm severings, five leg severings, two hatchet deaths and a closeup scalping. If you are keeping score, 45 individuals are slain by swords, and a pregnant woman gets shot in the head.

The director of the film, Quentin Tarantino, said this on television: "If you are a 12-year-old girl or boy, you must go and see 'Kill Bill.' You will have a damn good time. Boys will have a great time, girls will have a dose of girl power. If you are a cool parent out there, go take your kids to the movie."

Calling all cool parents - are you hearing this?

To be fair, Tarantino is a talented man. But he is childless and clueless when it comes to kids and violence.

And how about my pal Ludacris, the, um, artist who told my TV program that he "loves the kids"? Well, he's doing fine, thank you. His record hit No. 1 on the charts. Who wouldn't love lyrics like this: "So get your lighters, get your drink and I tell you what, I'm so f---ed up and screwed up. If anybody try to blow my high, you know I'ma tell 'em f--- you, f--- you, f--- you [ad infinitum]."

Revealingly, both Ludacris and Tarantino have been treated great by many in the elite media as they publicize their vehicles. And therein lies the problem. Generally speaking, the American press has embraced and promoted degrading entertainment, succeeding in making it socially acceptable. The turning point came a few years ago, when Elton John did a duet with Eminem on national television. Note to Elton: I remember when rock was young and nobody sang a song called "Hoes in My Room." Thanks for advancing the culture.

Once again I must tell you I am not coming at this from a moralistic point of view. If you are over 18 and want to pay $10 to watch a chainsaw guy slaughter people, go ahead. Just don't come to my house. If you're an adult who wants to hear some guy rant about prostitutes jumping on him, who am I to tell you you're a moron?

But children are something else. It is time for Americans to realize that your homes have been invaded by insidious forces beyond your control. The harmful music, movies, computer images and television will affect your kids, no matter what you do. And yet the American media are celebrating this very troubling turn of events.

If you still don't believe me, consider this: Halloween is a few days away, and a first-grade teacher in Biloxi, Miss., held a costume party for her class. One little boy came dressed as a pimp, complementing another little girl made up to be a whore.

Somewhere, the Devil is grinning.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 891 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 11:52 am
He has some cogent points, too bad its so laced with his personal brand of moralistic rhetoric. In the end, if children are perverted by media, the responsibility rests with the parents.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 12:17 pm
then there's the thought that Bill O'Reilly is the pop culture icon that parents should be wary about regarding the mental health of their children.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 12:24 pm
This kind of screed could have been written 30-40 years ago. And it probably was.

The Rolling Stones were considered obscene. Alice Coooper was violent and bloody. Ozzy Osbourne bit off the heads of small creatures. Various rock stars did drugs. I could go on. In fact, it started before Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis--Bill Haley was considered a bad influence!

Pop culture makes for a useful straw man for blow-hards like O'Reilly to bash on.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 10:03 pm
I find Bill O'Reilly to be more distasteful than the recovering Rush Limbaugh. At least Limbaugh is entertaining some of the time.

O'Reilly seems to think he is God's gift to the media.

The grand champion venom-spewer, however, is Michael Savage. He is a black eye for that beautiful city San Francisco from which he broadcasts.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 08:04 am
You guys just can't handle the truth.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 10:50 am
So McG, you're just gonna drop by and posit that O'Reilly is a fount of truth, which "you guys" are incapable of dealing with, but definitely not argue any point made by anyone posting here, huh?

That's about your speed all of the time.

I made the point that the parents are ultimately responsible in such matters. Is that contradicted by Blowhard O'Reilly's "truth" in all matters? Is that something with which you disagree?
0 Replies

Rezman

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 10:51 am
McGentrix wrote:
You guys just can't handle the truth.

No, they'd rather ignore the message because of the messenger. Want to see how far society has dropped our kids? Go to any elementary school - you'll see little girls dressed like whores. Kids in middle school don't believe oral sex is really sex (thanks WJC - couldn't you have done this when I was in jr high?)
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 01:19 pm
Setanta wrote:
So McG, you're just gonna drop by and posit that O'Reilly is a fount of truth, which "you guys" are incapable of dealing with, but definitely not argue any point made by anyone posting here, huh?

That's about your speed all of the time.

I made the point that the parents are ultimately responsible in such matters. Is that contradicted by Blowhard O'Reilly's "truth" in all matters? Is that something with which you disagree?

...and you are the only poster on this thread which means I was speaking specifically to you... Rolling Eyes

I agree with you that parents are ultimately responsible for their children. I just wish that the government would stop being responsible for the parents.

I don't want to come off as a classist here, but it seems that the majority of the problems we are talking about stem from lower income families. Of course I don't mean ALL lower income families have problems, but it seems that the majority of problems Bill is speaking of come from that environment. The middle class kids then try to emulate that behavior which creates more trouble.

Parents need to step up and realize that we are soon going to have a generation of malcontents on our hands. My parents had certain expectations for me and saw to it that lived up to those expectations. I will do the same for my children. Pity others are not as fortunate as I.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 03:54 pm
Well, McG, i was raised very strictly with regard to behavior as well. Later, i was a hell-raiser, and drug and alcohol abuser--none of which could have reasonably been laid at the door of my grandparents, who raised me. When reality finally set in for me, i had a solid foundation to fall back on. I do disagree with your assessment of the origin of these phenomena--it takes money to go to the movies, buy cds, buy clothing. I consider most of the hip-hop and gangsta bad boy image to be a pose. Middle class emulation starts with the "artists" concerned and then is emulated by those of less financially fortunate classes, as well as other middle class kids. My opinion, of course, and not something for which i can provide citations.

Tarentino and his ilk are ludicrous to me, and although i find some of his movies entertaining, i consider him a braying jackass. But ultimately, he wouldn't rise above the public horizon, if there were not those willing to buy his product. If the buyers are "under age," i would once again lay it at the door of the parents. Which brings me back to O'Reilly. What is the point of this rant? Does he propose censorship? Does he think that the government, or that "we" ought to do something about this? I rather see this as a rabble-rousing, preaching to the choir type of screed, more intended to build his credentials and popularity with a particular segment of the political population, than a piece of writing with a point or a message. It is not particularly original, either.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 05:32 pm
O'Reilly is too full of himself to realize that his disapproval is just the thing to help these musicians selling more CDs. Again, this pattern has gone on for generations. Let's burn some Alice Cooper LPs while we're at it.

Though I suspect O'Reilly could care less. What he loves is to feed red meat to his audience, and they love him for it. It's beatiful to behold...
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 11:50 pm
Attention readers Exclamation

Please go to www.foxnews.com, click on the Bill O'Reilly link and order a "No Spin Zone" mug for McGentrix[/b] as a Christmas gift Exclamation

These radio and TV right-wingers have a "cottage industry" on the side in addition to their thoughtful commentary. They earn big bucks for being nasty, nasty, nasty.
0 Replies