Since there's no friendship topic . . .

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 10:28 am
I'll post here.

Hi! Has anyone ever tried to find old friends and then faced frustration?

I have tried to find several old friends. One could be anywhere. I have tried her name as I last knew it -- the problem with women's name is that they sometimes take on a husband's name -- in the last state I knew her to reside in as well as the state she discussed moving to. Nothing.

Today, I tried to find an old friend from Detroit. I met him when he was a law student and knew him a few years into his career. I moved to New England in 1976. On my last trip back to Detroit, I tried to find him in the phone directory and through the Michigan Bar. Could not. Today, I found him on google! Supposedly, he's an environmental lawyer, an adjunct prof at VT Law School and a member of a firm with offices in Maryland and Philadelphia. Going to the VT Law School site, I did not find him on the faculty directory. I could not find him on the law firm's directory although when I tried googling him through his name and Bethesda, MD, the address of the firm came up.

While I'm hoping to hear from him, let's hear from you.

I'd love to hear successful and non-successful search stories.

The quest to find lost friends is as interesting as the friends themselves.

(PS, he could have retired since the profile was posted: there is no date!)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,125 • Replies: 10
No top replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 10:39 am
I actually just had an old friend find me. Interesting stuff this finding people and it came about because I saw a post on Classmates from a few years back from a galpal in highschool wondering where and what I had done/gone to-I was lucky enough to have her email work and wrote back and forth a few times. Seems that since she's still back in my hometown she see's a few people here and there. Well, my ears should have been ringing like crazy cuz I get an email from her asking for my phone number she bumped into one of the neighborhood kids who really wanted to get in touch with me. Well, why not. He ended up giving me a call and we talked for a bit over an hour. So nice that he ended up marrying one of my childhood friends and they had kids and were basically happy although they were now divorced. His family was well, and he was sad to hear about my Dad's passing and surprised to hear I now have a step dad and all of that stuff that happens when you dont talk to someone for like 15 years. I think however the best thing was that he simply wanted to apologize for some little thing (not paying me back on a wee loan) from way back then and hoped I could forgive him (makes me wonder if he's in AA or something) and you know, I had forgiven him long ago and shared that with him. Being young pals and knowing each othres families and all that it really is nice to know that people are doing okay or trying to do okay and that childhood memories still live on.
So...thats my most recent story of old friends but, I have contacted in the last five years (with email and all these wonders) some old high school and college chums and it has been nice to just say hello, catch up and keep in contact.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 10:46 am
That's a nice story, Quinn.

In the meantime, I found my lawyer friend's email addy through Jeeves. Gee! they should not put people's business email texts on their search engine site! I emailed him, however, and hope to hear from him. It would be fun.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 10:48 am
Oops! the mailer daemon just told me my email failed! Curses, foiled again!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 11:13 am
Could you not perhaps call the firm and ask if they would be able to forward a note on your behalf?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 12:51 pm
Quinn,
I found an announcement on Jeeves of this man transferring to another firm and when I went to their website, the only news items I could find were of cases the firm was involved in. So, I wrote the press officer and told her my story and included a little note to this friend, which asked whether he was the person who was involved in the political campaign where we met, attended WSU's law school and knew a man he introduced me to that I dated briefly. I asked if she would forward the email and she did and wrote back to me.

He may ignore it or he may respond.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 05:22 pm
Classmates is a great place for this. I've been found twice. :-D

And contacting the new firm is another idea. The Vermont legal community has got to be small - they probably know what happened to him.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 08:39 pm
yeah, Ive gotten alot of folks on Classmates...even met up with a highschool sweetheart...it was nice to touch base..as with the others--I think especially being not in my hometown area...I just never see anyone I grew up with. I was however accousted..heheheh well, not really but almost...in college when wearing my high school jacket downtown--seems it stood out a bit around these parts and this older gentleman recognized it so-he approached and funny...his daughter who I graduated with showed up shortly after.
maybe I should wear that jacket more often (okay maybe not but, still).

Good luck with the response pom.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 09:27 pm
I still have not joined classmates. I guess I will some day. Some college friends tracked me down a couple years ago. I've seen the 3 of them a few times since. But I've not heard of any of my high school friends except for my b/f from that time.

Good luck POM....
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 10:02 am
When I opened the email account that receives my a2k communications just now, there was a note from my friend who lives in Maryland and is married with three children . . . I suspect this is wife number 2 because marriage 1 was falling apart around the time I left Detroit, although with the oldest child being 22, things could have gone either way. Anyway, he said he would be happy to talk and that will be fun!

Wow, when i walked into the library, I was suddenly struck with an intense pain in the middle of my chest accompanied by shortness of breath and nausea. It is subsiding but my head is swimming and I feel flushed.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 10:31 am
You should really talk to a doctor about that pom.

Good to hear you heard from your old chum though.
0 Replies