to contribute ... to provding ...

fansy

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 01:21 am
Quote:
While quite a number of Americans are still struggling to pay off their debts at a time of financial crisis, two 25-year-old American girls launched Wokai (www.wokai.org), a microfinance organization, asking Americans to contribute their spare money to providing loans to China’s poor people whose per capita living expenses per day is less than USD 1.25.

Is it correct to say "to contribute their spare money to providing loans to...?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 672 • Replies: 2
No top replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 02:25 am
to PROVIDE. "money" is okay
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 03:58 am
@fansy,
I'm not sure you really need "their spare" in there, since people generally contribute only what they can spare. You can, however, leave it in, it is not incorrect.

I would add a comma after "poor". Since "expenses" is plural, you should change the "is" that follows it to "are"---instead of "living expenses per day is", change it to, "living expenses per day are".

You can either change "providing" to "provide", as in this example:

...asking Americans to contribute [their spare] money to provide loans to China's poor, people whose per capita living expenses per day are less than USD 1.25.

or

you can change "to" to "toward" and leave "providing", as in this example:

...asking Americans to contribute [their spare] money toward providing loans to China's poor, people whose per capita living expenses per day are less than USD 1.25.

I think that either of those examples would be correct.
0 Replies