CRATE TRAINED DOG WETTING BED

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 07:02 pm
MY 10 MONTH OLD FEMALE PUGGLE HAS BEEN CRATE TRAINED SINCE 8 WEEKS OF AGE. SHE FINALLY GOT THE HANG OF GOING WHEN SHE WAS LET OUT AND NOT "RELIEVING" HERSELF IN HER CRATE AT ABOUT 5 MONTHS. AT 9 MONTHS SHE HAS NOW REVERTED BACK TO GOING IN HER BED IN THE CRATE. SHE PEES EVERY NIGHT BEFORE GOING TO BED OUTSIDE BUT YET I STILL WAKE UP TO HAVE TO WASH A PEE SOAKED BED.

I TOOK HER TO THE VET TO CHECK FOR INFECTION BUT EVERYTHING WAS FINE. THE VET TOLD US IT MAY BE BEHAVIORAL SINCE WE JUST MOVED. 3 DAYS LATER SHE STOPPED DOING IT. 3 WEEKS LATER THE CYCLE HAS STARTED AGAIN. EVERY TIME WE PUT HER IN HER CRATE, SHE GOES. WHETHER IT IS OVERNIGHT OR WHILE WE'RE OUT SOMEWHERE, WE KNOW WE'RE GOING TO HAVE TO DO LAUNDRY WHEN WE GET THERE.

WE HAVE TWO DIFFERENT BEDS WE ALTERNATE WITH AND SHE DOES THIS ON BOTH OF THEM.

SOMETIMES I THINK SHE GOES IN THE CRATE AND IT LEAKS ON TO THE BED BUT MOST OF THE TIME, SHE JUST GOES IN THE BED.

PLEASE HELP!! GOING CRAZY!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,446 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 09:19 am
@NIWANOFF,
We took the "bed" out of our puppy's crate after the first time he peed in it. Never had a problem after that.

The bed may smell of pee after your dog has peed in it and as a result, it is now a place to pee. I'd just take out the cushion or any bedding. The dog isn't gonna want to pee in the bottom of the crate - or else he'll end up sleeping in it.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 11:05 am
That's good advice, Linkat. Our dog was house-broken when we got him, but after a few months he started peeing in one spot during the middle of the night. He'd go into the foyer and pee in the same place several nights a week. We solved that by closing our bedroom door (where he sleeps every night) and he's not once peed since. I imagine he doesn't want to soil his domaine. If we forget and leave the door open, he'll still head for the foyer LOL.
0 Replies