i kissed a boy and when i did he had a girlfriend

engineer

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 10:13 pm
@dagmaraka,
Someone help me out here with the current customs. Once upon a time, you could date multiple people at the same time until you were "going steady". In the 70's, when I would speak to older guys, it seemed like it was common to date several people in a less than serious way until you started to get serious with just one and it was the same for the women. Do teens these days exclusively date from the get-go? Is there such a thing as going steady or is that just assumed?
gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 10:20 pm
I love the title of this thread. Images of sorcerers and witchcraft come to mind when you think of a girlfriend magically appearing from a puff a smoke. (there was smoke involved, right?)
aidan

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 12:38 am
@engineer,
Quote:
Someone help me out here with the current customs. Once upon a time, you could date multiple people at the same time until you were "going steady". In the 70's, when I would speak to older guys, it seemed like it was common to date several people in a less than serious way until you started to get serious with just one and it was the same for the women. Do teens these days exclusively date from the get-go? Is there such a thing as going steady or is that just assumed?

When my daughter was fifteen she had her first boy/girl birthday party and she invited four girls and five boys so there was an equal number but apparently no couples, all just friends. There was one guy who stood out in terms of attractiveness. I asked her, after everyone left, which girl liked him. She said, 'Charlotte'. I asked which girl he seemed to like, did he like Charlotte back?' She said, 'No, I think he likes me.' And turns out he did because he asked her out. She had told me that she liked him but then when he asked, she didn't go out with him. I asked her why. She said because he cheated on his last girlfriend.
I was like, 'Cheated? How - like sex? When? When he was FOURTEEN?'
She said 'No, not sex mom- kissing.'
And now the poor kid is branded a cheater for the rest of his life.

I didn't get it then, I don't get it now. How can you be committed to someone when you're fourteen years old? And why would you want to be?

To answer your question Engineer, it seems that it's just assumed. Which seems a big mistake to me. These kids are taking things way too seriously, way too soon.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 02:55 am
@engineer,
engineer, i think that's american habits. i don't think it was ever socially acceptable here, in slovakia, to see multiple people at the same time. not that some didn't, i'm sure, but it would be frowned upon... and we don't have a term for it. nor do we have different terms for "seeing someone", "dating", "going steady"..... we're much more boring and conservative in this.

besides. what do i know, i've been single forever, on multiple continents, no matter what culture.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 05:47 am
@mlexi,
mlexi wrote:

that sounds like a good thing but what should i do about the boy

I dont have any information to offer you on that.
In my mind, I would not be comfortable with him if he could not tell her too that he either wanted to see you, or that he was interested in you.

That part is up to you. And if you think you want to handle knowing he is sneaking around.
But then again, I absolutely agree with everyone else too. Trying to make a committed relationship now? at this point in your life? No. Laughing dont do it. just kiss and have fun.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 09:15 am
So wait: this boy asked for a kiss and asked you to "make out" in the family
van while your Mom was driving? Gosh, he's got some nerves, doesn't he?

You know, my daughter is 14 years old, and I always told her that her first
kiss will be very special and she will remember this for the rest of her life,
so she better make sure it will be a great memorable experience. I advise
you of the same, sweetie. Don't sell yourself short because you feel pressured
by a boy who has no respect for you or your Mom.
mlexi

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 03:00 pm
@CalamityJane,
no it wasn't my mom it was his dad and step mom but any way i will remmber it for ever
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 03:09 pm
@gustavratzenhofer,
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

I love the title of this thread. Images of sorcerers and witchcraft come to mind when you think of a girlfriend magically appearing from a puff a smoke. (there was smoke involved, right?)

I thought he gave birth to a girlfriend when she kissed him.

Isn't that how it works?
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 04:11 pm
When my grandson was in middle school, groups of girls would decide who was "going" with whom. He just went along with it.

mlexi

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 05:50 pm
@sullyfish6,
well i need somthing because i reall y don't now what to do
chai2

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 06:55 pm
@mlexi,
I guess you'll have to quit school and get a job to support this girlfriend you made him have.
0 Replies

juggalette

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 08:13 pm
@mlexi,
well my opinon dont let no one find out simple as that
0 Replies