Moon globe

fansy

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 02:20 am
Does "stereoscopic model of the moon" explain the meaning of Moon globe?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 610 • Replies: 2
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 03:06 am
no it does not. It is unclear what you mean by moon globe.
Globe can have a number of meanings in English. A light globe (electric lightglobe) any rounded globe shaped object could be refered to as a globe.
"Moon globe" could be refering to a rounded rock (or other object) of significance to scientists that was found on the moon or even that someone felt looked like the moon perhaps because of its colour.

I suspect you are refering to a model of the moon shaped like a globe?
it is common to see a globe of the Earth showing seas and continents etc. A globular map.
If your moon globe is similar to a globe of the Earth then i suggest you refer to it as a globe of the moon.
You may assist your readers further and refer to a globe of the earth so that readers have this idea in mind.
eg
Just like we have a globe of the earth where we can see continents and seas, we also have a globe of the moon showing major features such as craters and mountain ranges.

0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 12:27 pm
I do in fact have a moon globe, with all the craters on it, sitting at an astronomically incorrect distance from my earth globe, and surrounded by tin toy replicas of a UFO, a "Rocket Racer", and a couple of tin robots. But then I've been a science fiction reader since I was ten. The earth globe is maybe 15 inches in diameter, the moon globe maybe 5 inches.
A "stereoscopic model of the moon" sounds like it would be a 3-D picture of the moon. Stereopticons were the 3-D viewers of cards popular around the turn of the 20th century. They made updated ones later on in the century called stereoscopes. Don't know exactly what fansy is talking about, but it could very well not be an actual physical globe.
0 Replies