Congrats USA! Health care for all!! ??

Thomas

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 10:14 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn d'Abbuzz wrote:
But why didn't the Democrats follow your advice Thomas?

Beats me. I would have preferred it if they had. (I would have preferred to see it implemented on the state level, but I do like the Medicare-for-all model.)

Finn d'Abbuzz wrote:
So now their disingenuous ploy is being called to Constitutional task and we are all supposed to just get over it and accept it for what it is --- a tax?

Disingenuity is not unconstitutional. And if the more intrusive implementation as a tax is constitutional, I think it's extremely unlikely that the Federal Courts will strike the less intrusive implementation down as unconstitutional. But, let those 11 Attorneys General bring on their challenge and see what the courts make of it.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 10:42 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
So what happens when the government tells you that you must buy a gun, or War Bonds, or serve in the military?

In most countries that is exactly how an army is maintained. And it's been so in this country in times of war as well. What was your point again?
Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 10:46 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Sorry. I posted that before reading all the answers on this thread. And before you ask me whether I'm OK with that, Finn, yes, I'm perfectly OK with a compulsory military draft, deven in peacetime. I don't like the very idea of a standing professional army; I think national defense is every citizen's responsibility.
0 Replies

Philis

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 02:34 am
People have always ranted and screamed and protested or grumbled over any change. Regardless of cost, (which might not affect me too much since earnings over 350,000 pay) I have always felt no one should be without healthcare.
In the present healthcare homeless do not get services and temporary poor (a lot these days) have no coverage now. It has passed ata critical time in our history since more and even more workers are now unemployed an I do not see this unemployment issue getting better any time soon or later.
Healthcare is a human right.
In a few years (or ten), we will be so use to the new system of healthcare, many in the future will consider and think about how it was for the uninsured in the past 200 years. And in the future people will grumble over the system even then.
I am glad it passed and look to the future of living in the US of A still with courage and faith.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 07:11 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
How many of you are OK with the notion that the government (a body that is supposed to serve with our consent) can coerce you to buy a product you neither need nor want?

I'm amused that Texans are so up-in-arms about this. This is a state that requires drivers to carry insurance....
parados

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 07:36 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

parados wrote:

Sometimes the ignorance of RWers amazes me.

As usual, Parados you leap to what you think is a clever response without much thought.

Obviously the government has, in the past, told certain members of its citizenry that they must serve in the military.

And when it did you were A-OK with it?

It was constitutional for the government to do that which undermines your argument that it is unconstitutional now.

Let me just repeat this -

0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 07:49 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

I make more than $250,000 a year and I have no doubt I deserve it. In fact, I think I deserve more based on the value I provide my company.

And we deserve what you are paying in taxes. In fact based on your own perceived value I think we deserve MORE in taxes from you. Someone as wonderful as you Finn should be supporting all of us. (Since we are supporting your family members it seems.)

But let me reiterate...

0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 10:51 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
I'm amused that Texans are so up-in-arms about this. This is a state that requires drivers to carry insurance....

Yesterday, CNN put this argument to one of the dozen-or-so state Attorneys General who are suing the US government over health care reform. His reply was that enacting individual mandates like this is a state power that the US constitution hasn't delegated to the Federal government. Therefore, he argued, the US government violates the US constitution by mandating universal health care for Americans. He said the AGs had no constitutional problem with Romney-Care in Massachusetts, which imposes the same kind of mandate through the power of a state.
Philis

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 11:04 am
@Thomas,
Now since when are we guaranteed rights in the Constitution.
We have Big Brother in the nation and he is BIG. All the lawyers Neutral out there let this happen to us for many generations.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 11:26 am
@Thomas,
There's also the minor issue that driving a car is a voluntary behavior. I suppose one could classify breathing as voluntary as well....
parados

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 01:02 pm
@DrewDad,
I think the government mandates breathing since they won't let people voluntarily stop breathing.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 01:06 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

I think the government mandates breathing since they won't let people voluntarily stop breathing.

But first, they have to criminalize it....

New Jersey Bill to Ban “E-Cigarettes” Use in Public Passes another Hurdle

Quote:
Smoking would be defined as any process of inhaling tobacco and exhaling smoke, or any other substance or vapor that can be inhaled and exhaled.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 01:53 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:

Just goes to show how fanatical the anti-tobacco mob is. I don't see much daylight between them and the Taliban. After Tobacco high fat food will be next, and then we will see.
Irishk

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 03:13 pm
62% Want GOP to Keep Fighting on Health Bill

Nearly nine in ten Republicans and two in three independents want the GOP to keep challenging. Even 41 percent of Democrats support continued challenges.

Oh my.
maporsche

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 03:15 pm
@Irishk,
You still don't get. The public wants this bill.

[wink]
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 03:48 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs270.ash1/19773_100297260005476_100000756064742_6008_4224076_n.jpg
Laughing Priceless!
panzade

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 03:56 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
I shouldda counted on you to see the irony O'Bill! Very Happy
OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 04:15 pm
@panzade,
I'm gonna have to steal that and share some more. Very Happy
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 07:03 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:

Just goes to show how fanatical the anti-tobacco mob is. I don't see much daylight between them and the Taliban. After Tobacco high fat food will be next, and then we will see.

The e-cigarette is an unsafe product. I guess you think that the food and drug administration should approve tainted hamburger meat.

0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 06:29 pm
@hawkeye10,
I am surprised that given the history of tobacco companies, anyone would associate the Taliban with the anti-smoking lobby.
0 Replies