Congrats USA! Health care for all!! ??

farmerman

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 06:35 pm
@Thomas,
Another issue that the GOP did NOT even work to try to get into this bill is tort reform. I think may of us agree that this is needed. Yet , the GOP would raqther stand there in the doorway and just be obstructionists and develop their constituency of "tea Baggers"
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 08:27 pm
The GOP offered more than 30 health care bills and they all contained tort reform provisions. None were adopted into the bills written by the Democrats. Tort reform was included in an amendment to the Senate bill and was rejected.

Politifact: McConnell gets it right on medical malpractice reform

GOP Pushing Malpractice Reform

Democrats Avoid Tort Reform in Healthcare Debate

Health Care Push Revives Tort Reform Debate

Dems Take a Second Look at GOP Proposals, Including Tort Reform

Tort reform could save $54 billion, Congressional Budget Office Says

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 12:14 am
Quote:
By Robert J. Samuelson
Monday, July 19, 2010

If you want a preview of President Obama's health-care "reform," take a look at Massachusetts. In 2006, it enacted a "reform" that became a model for Obama. What's happened since isn't encouraging. The state did the easy part: expanding state-subsidized insurance coverage. It evaded the hard part: controlling costs and ensuring that spending improves people's health. Unfortunately, Obama has done the same.
Similar forces will define Obamacare. Even if its modest measures to restrain costs succeed -- which seems unlikely -- the effect on overall spending would be slight. The system's fundamental incentives won't change. The lesson from Massachusetts is that genuine cost control is avoided because it's so politically difficult. It means curbing the incomes of doctors, hospitals and other providers. They object. To encourage "accountable care organizations" would limit consumer choice of doctors and hospitals. That's unpopular. Spending restrictions, whether imposed by regulation or "global payments," raise the specter of essential care denied. Also unpopular.

Obama dodged the tough issues in favor of grandstanding. Imitating Patrick, he's already denouncing insurers' rates, as if that would solve the spending problem. What's occurring in Massachusetts is the plausible future: Unchecked health spending shapes government priorities and inflates budget deficits and taxes, with small health gains. And they call this "reform"?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/18/AR2010071802733.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

But the American people see through the scam, yet Obama still wonders why he does not get credit for this great thing he thinks he has done. That he wasted a year on when we had pressing problems to deal with. What an idiot he has turned out to be...This was a super critical decision on how to spend a pivotal year of american history, and he got it completely wrong.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 07:24 am
@Irishk,

Quote:
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Congressional Budget Office is now estimating that limits on medical malpractice lawsuits -- reforms favored by many Republicans -- could save the government as much as $54 billion over the next 10 years.

The government spends about $2.5 trillion on health care every year.

That's funny. Tort reform would save 5 billion out of a 2.5 trillion per year cost. Wow... thats a whole .2%.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703699204575016641029890342.html
But on another note..
United Health Care had 1 billion in profits last year. That is just one health care company in a year they are complaining about how they are having a hard time making money.

0 Replies

EmperorNero

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 10:42 am
Statist health care can not magically create health care out of thin air. Where would it come from? Communism is worse than the free market, I thought you people figured that out by now. And if communism works with health care, why not with cars and food?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 10:47 pm
How did Obamacare get so screwed up?

Quote:
The Democrats’ “historic achievement,” shocking as it seems, turns out to be an expensive, jobs-crippling monstrosity that is filled with unintended consequences. Employers are likely to dump employees into highly subsidized exchanges. It’s not going to bend the cost curve. And today, the Associated Press reports:

President Barack Obama’s health care law would let several million middle-class people get nearly free insurance meant for the poor, a twist government number crunchers say they discovered only after the complex bill was signed.
The change would affect early retirees: A married couple could have an annual income of about $64,000 and still get Medicaid, said officials who make long-range cost estimates for the Health and Human Services department.
Up to 3 million people could qualify for Medicaid in 2014 as a result of the anomaly. That’s because, in a major change from today, most of their Social Security benefits would no longer be counted as income for determining eligibility.
Minority Leader Mitch McConnell’s communications director e-mailed me in response to this report, “Nearly every week we find a new reason to say ‘repeal and replace.’ ”

To understand how a major piece of legislation could be so badly crafted one only has to recall the mad dash to jam it through Congress. The point was to get something, anything in there to take root. Unfortunately, it is already rotting from within. As the AP observes, the administration isn’t even claiming this one is an error: “Indeed, administration officials and senior Democratic lawmakers say it’s not a loophole but the result of a well-meaning effort to simplify rules for deciding who will get help with insurance costs under the new health care law. Instead of a hodgepodge of rules, there will be one national policy.” Perhaps if lawmakers knew what they were voting for this would have been fixed.

Still, one can’t help but think that the administration and Democratic Congress didn’t have a firm grasp of some basics in our existing health-care system. James Capretta, for example, responds to The Post’s Ezra Klein, who repeats some standard liberal tropes. Capretta explains that in criticizing Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) Medicare reform plan, liberals seem to be confused about the highly successful Medicare Part D plan, which provided a model of a popular, market-oriented and subsidized health-care plan that came in under budget.

As to Klein’s claim that a downturn in drug expenditures was responsible for cost reductions, not Medicare Part D, Capretta replies, “Part D plans have aggressively pushed generic substitution as a way to lower premiums — and they have had considerable success. Isn’t it likely that this trend among the elderly has influenced how physicians and pharmacists behave with all their patients? In sum, the drop in drug spending systemwide is not evidence of Part D’s irrelevance. Indeed, it reinforces the point that Part D has been effective.” Put differently, it provides evidence for conservatives’ premise that shifting cost to the recipient reduces excess usage. This concept remains a foreign one to the left.

Likewise, Capretta responds to a second assertion: “Klein cites estimates from the CMS actuaries to argue that, even if Part D cost escalation has been moderate in the past, it is set to rise sharply in the future. But he fails to mention that a main reason for projected cost growth going forward is that Obamacare expanded the drug benefit by closing the so-called ‘doughnut hole.’ Moreover, the actuaries have noted that these projections come with great uncertainty. What we do know with certainty is that costs in the program’s first five years have come in remarkably low.”

And finally, Capretta confronts a misrepresentation head on: “Klein argues that Medicare beneficiaries are paying premiums in 2011 that are 57 percent higher than they were in 2006. This is demonstrably false. The data Klein cites are based on a subset of the program — the stand-alone drug plans — which means Medicare.”

If this issue is any indiction, we have a clue as to how Obamacare got so screwed up. Those who drafted and now tout it have a shaky understanding of how markets operate and a built-in preference for top-down management. But it turns out that millions of people making individual health-care decisions are a lot smarter than the bureaucrats who constructed such a massive structure that no one can be expected to understand it and its consequences. Who knew?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/post/how-did-obamacare-get-so-screwed-up/2011/03/29/AGtI3heH_blog.html?fb_ref=NetworkNews
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2011 02:05 am
Man robs bank for $1 hoping to get healthcare in jail:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2011/06/21/benzinga1188971.DTL

America: where you need to be rich, enslaved by an employer, or a criminal to get affordable healthcare. I don't think it is going to get any better soon.

roger

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2011 02:13 am
@Green Witch,
Enslaved by an employer? That's another way of saying someone has a job, right?
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2011 02:17 am
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

Man robs bank for $1 hoping to get healthcare in jail:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2011/06/21/benzinga1188971.DTL

America: where you need to be rich, enslaved by an employer, or a criminal to get affordable healthcare. I don't think it is going to get any better soon.

Healthcare can not be fixed until we learn how how to deliver it efficiently....Castro could do this, someone needs to get him up here while there is still time.
roger

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2011 02:21 am
@hawkeye10,
He's got lots of doctors, all right. No medicine or equipment, but lots of doctors. Maybe Raul and Fidel's doctors have medicine, I don't know.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2011 02:29 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

He's got lots of doctors, all right. No medicine or equipment, but lots of doctors. Maybe Raul and Fidel's doctors have medicine, I don't know.

Quote:
The Cuban government operates a national health system and assumes fiscal and administrative responsibility for the health care of all its citizens.[1] There are no private hospitals or clinics as all health services are government-run. The present Minister for Public Health is José Ramón Balaguer.
An overall worsening in terms of disease and infant mortality rates was observed in the 1960s, but recovery occurred by the 1980s.[2] Things have since improved considerably. AIDS is only one-sixth as common on a per-capita basis as in the United States.[3] Like the rest of the Cuban economy, Cuban medical care suffered following the end of Soviet subsidies in 1991; the stepping up of the US embargo against Cuba at this time also had an effect.[4] Cuba has one of the highest life expectancy rates in the region, with the average citizen living to 77.64 years old[3] (just under the United States' 78.11 years[5])
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healthcare_in_Cuba

And Castro did this for just 20 cents on the dollar what America spends. Just think of what he could do for Americans on half of what we now spend!

2006 numbers
Quote:
Health care spending per person per annumn:
Cuba $251;
UK $2,389;
US $5,711

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/newsnight/5232628.stm

2009 numbers
Quote:
The report found health care costs will average $8,160 this year for every man, woman and child, an increase of $356 per person from last year.
Meanwhile, the number of uninsured has risen to about 48 million, according to a new estimate by the Kaiser Family Foundation.
The government statisticians estimated that health costs will reach $13,100 per person in 2018, accounting for $1 out of every $5 spent in the economy.
http://blog.cleveland.com/medical/2009/02/us_health_care_costs_to_top_80.html

We can not afford our health care system, and nothing about ObamaCare deal with the problem, if anything ObamaCare increases costs as people now covered by insurance will use more medical care.

Green Witch

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2011 02:41 am
@roger,
It's enslavement by health insurance if they stay in a job because of the Nanny Corporation benefits. I used to teach workshops for women who wanted to open their own business and the number one reason they couldn't do it was because they would lose their health insurance and could not afford private insurance. So instead of starting their own small companies, such as daycare, bakeries, catering or cleaning services, they work for Target and qualify for food stamps.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2011 02:54 am
@Green Witch,
Quote:
they work for Target and qualify for food stamps.
That plan does not work too well now, as Target works to keep employees off of the health plan

Quote:
Interviews with 10 of the store’s employees suggest that an important issue behind the unionization drive is frustration about being assigned too few hours of work, sometimes just one or two days a week.

Retailers are increasingly assigning such short workweeks as they seek to build an extensive roster of workers to fill their ever-changing scheduling needs. But some Target workers say that means they are offered too few hours to qualify for the company’s health plan.

Ms. Williams, who receives $200 a month in food stamps to help her and her 18-year-old son, complained that she was often assigned just three days of work each week, down from full time when she started nearly nine years ago.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/24/business/economy/24target.html
Green Witch

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2011 03:12 am
@hawkeye10,
Yeah, actually giving health benefits is bad for the bottom line. It also effects hiring choices. My brother (who owns a small company) recently admitted he didn't hire a woman (in her early 50's) when he found out she had diabetes. He knew from experience his insurance rates would go up, so he hired his second choice who was a little less qualified but younger and healthier. The first woman was just told they found a candidate who better fit their needs. I'm sure this goes on all the time and will only get worse. I think it's part of the reason so many people over 50 are having a hard time getting hired.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2011 03:16 am
@hawkeye10,
So move to Cuba. I stress that you should not, and I mean NOT get sick.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2011 03:21 am
@roger,
So Roger, what do you think is the answer for America? How do we get everyone healthcare? Doesn't it make sense we should all pay for it to the best of our ability and we should all be covered without having some corporate CEO (either your boss or an insurance company) calling the shots? Why shouldn't we do this for ourselves? Why does America want Nanny Corporations?
roger

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2011 03:23 am
@Green Witch,
Pay for it ourselves? Radical, but let me think about it.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2011 03:40 am
@roger,
You know what I mean. Other developed countries all pay less for healthcare. If we took a fraction of what we now hand over to insurance companies and paid it in taxes we would all be covered. The average tax payer in France pays under $4,000 a year in taxes to be completely covered. I can't get catastrophic for that much in America - and if I could I would still have a $5,000 deductible. Does that really make sense?
roger

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2011 04:13 am
@Green Witch,
Okay, I'm looking at the Sept 21, 2009 Forbes entitled Somewhat Socialized Medicine. Michael Prolingheuer is paying $905 a month. Does that work out to $10,860 per month, or not? Now, Michael picked a more or less private plan instead of the more or less public plan. It was cheaper initially, but as he aged the price went up. He should have been French, I guess.

Don't believe it? I'll mail the magazine to you, if you want. Let me know.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2011 04:30 am
@roger,
Who is Michael Prolingheuer? The name sounds German.

For my husband and I to have catastrophic care (annual $5,000 deducible for each of us) the cost would be about as much as Mr. Prolingheuer is paying. That would not include an additional insurance like Aflac to make sure our bills are covered if we get sick and cannot pay our premiums. That additional insurance would be another $4000-6000 per year. So our cost, before any insurance would kick in would be about $20,000 per year. We run a successful business, we live a comfortable, debt-free life. . We can not do what we do and also have health coverage. We are willing to pay, we just cannot afford American healthcare any more than we could afford a yacht. Do I wish we would adopt the French system? Yes. I also know it will never happen because insurance companies are too fat and rich, and politicians like the spill over into their campaign pockets, plus Americans have been brainwashed into thinking CEO's actually care about them.

A little edited PS - I consider you a sensible person, Roger. I really am curious as to what you think the solution is to a problem like mine and others like me is. We don't want charity, we want to pay. We just honestly cannot afford health insurance because it has become a luxury product like an expensive car.