NATALEE HOLLOWAY REDUX

Sglass

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 09:26 am

AOL News (March 19) -- A retiree from Manheim, Pa., believes that a photo his wife took while snorkeling off the coast of Aruba reveals human remains, which could belong to missing American teen Natalee Holloway.

"It would be great if this is Holloway, and her family could get the closure that's needed," 78-year-old John Muldowney told AOL News.

The image was captured in October in about 15 feet of water, but the film was not developed until December, according to Muldowney. As they looked through the shots, his wife Patti remarked, "'My God, this looks like a skeleton,'" he said. "And then we all looked and said, 'It sure does.' Our first thought then was that it was Natalee Holloway.'"

Patti Muldowney / AP
Patti Muldowney of Manheim, Pa., took this underwater photo while she and her husband, John, were on vacation in Aruba in early October 2009. John Muldowney says he has a gut feeling that the picture may show the remains of Natalee Holloway.
Muldowney says he took the photo to a friend who is a Navy SEAL and also to his family doctor to get their opinions on the photo.

"I did not prompt them in any way," he said. "They would go, 'Yeah, I see this snake here on the side,' and then they would notice the bottom and say, 'This looks like a body.' When my doctor looked at the picture, he said, 'It's definitely a body,' so then we decided to contact the police."

The local police put Muldowney in touch with the FBI, who instructed him to send the photo to their Philadelphia office. The photo was sent via certified mail on Feb. 4. Later, the FBI said he was allowed to release it to the media.

Examining the Photo

One of the news agencies that reached out was CNN's "Nancy Grace." Muldowney said he could not agree to appear on the show until he first spoke with Natalee's father, Dave Holloway.

"I spoke with Dave yesterday and told him we did not want to do it unless he was OK with it," Muldowney said. "He told us we had his blessings and that we should go on the show because it also airs in Aruba and that would help keep it in the media. So we did."

Muldowney said that CNN sent a car for him and his wife this morning, and they were taken to a television station where they were interviewed via satellite by Nancy Grace and a panel of experts. The show aired Friday night.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,190 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Sglass

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 10:00 am
Wonder how Van der Snoot and his Sudanese friends are taking this new development.

I wonder how far from the shore this picture was taken/
mismi

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 10:25 am
@Sglass,
I hope they find out soon what actually happened. I can't imagine how her family has been suffering over this.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/crime/2010/03/19/ng.aruba.possible.skeleton.cnn&hpt=P1
Nancy Grace (drama, drama, drama) But it shows the picture. I can't really tell if it is a body or not. Has the shape...I guess we'll know for sure soon enough.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 11:11 am
There may not be helpful evidence toward catching the guilty party, but it would afford closure, of a sort, to the family.
Sglass

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 11:25 am
@edgarblythe,
Van der Snoot has evidently made multiple confessions that he was envolved with Holloways disappearance.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 09:34 pm

(CNN) -- An Aruban police dive team will search the site where an underwater photograph was taken that might show human remains, a spokeswoman for the Aruban prosecutor said Saturday.

The picture has renewed interest in the nearly 5-year-old Natalie Holloway case.

More here:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/03/20/aruba.photo.remains/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 01:08 am
Joran Van der Sloot Admits to Involvement in Death of Natalee Holloway, Is it Really all a Lie? Now Joran Says Natalee Fell High on Coke
There usually is a lot of truth in every lie. How Natalee Holloway died a lie, Joran Van der Sloot’s involvement, not so much a lie.

Why would anyone continue to admit involvement in the death of another? How many suspects in a case continue to confess to the death of a victim when they have claimed that they were innocent and just wanted their life back?

The answer is none, unless you are a sociopath and in the end are guilty and want to either be cause or put forth so many road block that it makes it too confusing. Or is it that Joran Van der Sloot knows in advance that Aruba prosecutors will never charge him with anything so he just states what ever is on his mind that day and confesses?

Once again Joran Van der Sloot has come out of the woodwork like a cockroach and confessed again in the death of Natalee Holloway. He continues to relish in the joy of causing pain and harm to the family of missing and presumed deceased Natalee Holloway. Van der Sloot continues his sick and narcissistic game and continuing the roller coaster ride of emotions of a family whose daughter, sister, cousin and granddaughter has been missing since 2005.

Watch CBS News Videos Online

On “The Early Show” Tuesday, legal analyst Jack Ford explained that more would be needed to prosecute than just a confession that might be a lie. FALSE!

On “The Early Show” Tuesday, legal analyst Jack Ford explained that, “Most people would think, if somebody comes in and says, ‘Yes, I did this, and here’s where we got rid of the body,’ they would think, ‘Isn’t that enough to prosecute somebody?’

“(In) most places,” Ford told co-anchor Maggie Rodriguez, “you need more than somebody just saying, ‘I did something wrong. Here’s what I did.’ The law says you have to be able to prove that there was a crime to start with before you can use somebody’s words as a basis for a prosecution. So you need to have more evidence out there.”

Ford added, “If you’re the prosecutor here, the first time he’s talking about, ‘We disposed of the body in the ocean.’ Now, he’s saying, ‘We disposed of the body in a swamp.’ So, the prosecutors, I’m sure, are looking at this, and they’re saying, ‘There’s just not enough detail here, and the detail he is giving us is different from what he said the first time.’ So, again, if they had something else, if they had proof of a murder, something that could tie him into it, then this might be more significant. But apparently they just don’t.”

Sorry, but the legal analyst is implementing US legal rules to an Aruban/Dutch matter. Of course more than a confession is needed, but there already is more or has this legal analyst not followed this case from 2005? This is not a situation like John Mark Karr where he confessed to a crime without really being a suspect for the attention. This is a scenario where Joran Van der Sloot cannot seem to stay out of the media limelight and feels the need to explain himself while cashing in and causing further pain to the family of Natalee Holloway.

There is a boatload of evidence, statements and records out there that can determine whether Joran is guilty or not. What is interesting is when he comes up with this accounts that are half fabricated and have the truth, what part of them detail info that may not be known to anyone but a person who would be directly involved in the crime?

So now according to Joran Van der Sloot … Natalee Holloway snorted Coke and fell to Death, so says suspect.

“Then I walked over to her to dance with her a little…. And eh, I grabbed her by the hips. When I let go, she fell from the balcony…”

“We looked down and saw her lying there. Yes, there was blood. I think she fell on the ground with her head first.” Van der Sloot continued to say that they both ran the steps to Natalee. “Her chin was to one side and I turned it the other way. There was blood on the ground too. There was no life.”

The real question that deals more to the point of Joran Van der Sloot is why does he keep coming up with different ways as to how Natalee died? There is one constant in every confession … Joran Van der Sloot’s involvement.

So why did Joran Van der Sloot talk to the media once again regarding the death of Natalee Holloway? It could not have been the money he was paid to do so. Oh no, a new version was concocted by Joran to clear his name of him being considered a killer. Sorry Joran, too late for that. It takes a really big man Joran to blame a dead person 5 years later for their own death after you have come up with previous confessions on hidden cameras.

The young Dutchman continues to maintain that he was present when Natalee died and that he got rid of her body. He says he gave the interview because “he wants to come clean once and for all … Almost half of the Netherlands thinks I’m a killer.” We’ll just have to wait and see whether this latest media gambit helps change that view.

Only half? Why would they possibly think that? Maybe because they might be correct. That’s ok … all of America does. Face it Joran Van der Sloot, any thinking person knows you are guilty. If it was an accidental death, there would never have been any reason to lie. Now some five years later, you are still lying as to what happened to Natalee.

Joran … tell the truth and it will set you free. Don’t and you will spend an eternal damnation in hell with your father who helped cover up your crime.

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 10:28 am
I wonder if this is by the boat wreck where I have gone snorkeling - it is a common area to go snorkeling and I cannot image any other area in Aruba where you would take a boat to go snorkeling. If that is the case then it definately conceivable that anyone could take a boat and dump a body - you can easily see the shore from there.
Sglass

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 10:59 am
I find it interesting that Joran was in the sex trade, importing Thai women for prostitution. $14,000 per transaction. Nice guy.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 11:00 am
@Linkat,
How far from the shore is the shipwreck.
Linkat

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 11:20 am
@Sglass,
I am not sure how far from shore this is - I do know it wasn't that far out - it is in about 50 feet of water. It is a popular place to go snorkeling (as well as scuba diving) so when I heard they took a boat to go (and seeing that did not seem the overly adventerous type) figured it was quite likely here. Also, because of the depth in the pictures, it was quite possible.

Although there are many places to go snorkeling - many reefs and some other wrecks. I figure they didn't mention the spot or else they would have every tom, dick and harry looking.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 11:24 am
@Sglass,
Just found the distance - about a half mile from shore.
Linkat

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 03:22 pm
@Linkat,
Good chance I am correct - just read this on CNN:

Couple took underwater photo near shipwreck during cruise stop in Aruba

However, they also stated: "She declined to identify the location, saying authorities want to avoid attracting onlookers during the search."

There are a some other shipwreck's in the area, but from what I remember this is the most popular to snorkle.

Linkat

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2010 03:25 pm
@Linkat,
Ok, so being the curiousity seeker I am, I looked up the cruise line for Royal Caribbean (as this couple according to the article was on a Royal Caribbean cruise and took a snorkeling trip). The shore and land excusions in Aruba for snorkeling and sailing was no other than this particular ship wreck.

" Cruise by motorized catamaran along Aruba's northwest coastline for exciting snorkeling at the shallow Malock reef and the beautiful World War II shipwreck, Antilla, which is just below the surface."

So if I can figure it out, I am sure there's gotta be hundreds of people searching around there now.
Sglass

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 12:40 pm
@Linkat,

AOL News (March 25) -- Aruban authorities have called off an underwater search for the remains of missing American teenager Natalee Holloway, pending further investigation.

"It's a dead end," Ann Angela, a spokeswoman for the Aruba prosecutor's office, told CNN Wednesday.

The underwater search was prompted by a photograph of possibly human remains that a Pennsylvania couple, John and Patti Muldowney, took while snorkeling off Aruba.

Patti Muldowney, AP
This photo, taken by Patti Muldowney in Aruba in October, triggered a new search for the remains of Natalee Holloway. But the effort turned up nothing, Aruban authorities said.
The photo was captured in October in about 15 feet of water, but the film was not developed until December, according to John Muldowney. As they looked through the shots, Patti Muldowney remarked, "'My God, this looks like a skeleton,'" he said in a March 20 interview with AOL News. "And then we all looked and said, 'It sure does.' Our first thought then was that it was Natalee Holloway."

Holloway, 18, from Mountain Brook, Ala., disappeared May 30, 2005, while on a trip to Aruba to celebrate her high school graduation. Her body has never been found.

When authorities in Aruba learned of the photo, they contacted the tour company that had taken the Muldowneys to the snorkeling location. Divers then spent two days searching the area but were unable to locate any human remains. It is now their belief that the photo is of coral.

The announcement that remains were not found came as no surprise to at least one underwater expert.

AP
Natalee Holloway, 18, disappeared on a trip to Aruba in 2005.Jack Fisher, founder and president of JW Fishers, told AOL News his initial thought was that the image was of an "outcrop of coral that happens to be lined up the way we would want to see it."

Fisher's company specializes in the design and manufacture of high-tech underwater search equipment.

Fisher also said he felt it unlikely that divers or high-tech equipment could locate the exact formation seen in the photo.

"In order for that configuration to show up in sonar, so that you also see it as a body not as a bunch of rocks, you would have to have the same approach and the same angle that the photographer was in," Fisher said. "It would be very difficult to do. If you came into it at a different angle, you would never think it was a body."

However, if the image was of a body, Fisher said it would not matter how you approached it.

"Even if you came in at a different angle, it would still look like a bod
mismi

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 12:42 pm
@Sglass,
Her poor parents.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 12:46 pm
I guess everyone was hoping for closure for her parents.

But I am sure that non-official divers will keep looking.
0 Replies