TV presenter gets death sentence for 'sorcery'

roger

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 06:58 pm
@Eva,
So, why is my doctor still 'practicing' medicine. He's older than I.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 07:13 pm
@George,
George wrote:

Weird thing is, he's guilty.

By that I mean, as a self-professed psychic who consults spirits, he is
practicing sorcery. The very act of trying to consult a spirit is all it
takes. Sounds silly to us, but that's the way they define it.

Hell, there were clergymen right here in the good old US of A who
burned Harry Potter books because they promoted witchcraft. Scary.

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 07:17 pm
@George,
Thankee, G. My knowledge of the more esoteric aspects of Islam is somewhat sketchy based, as it is, on movies such as Rudolf Velntino's The Sheik and Sax Rohmer's Dr. FuManchu books.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 07:17 pm
And Saudi Arabia is our "ally"? Wasn't witch burning banned some time back?
roger

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 07:18 pm
@NickFun,
Sure. They stone them.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 07:24 pm
@ossobuco,
Sorry, George, I meant to reply to that.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 07:30 pm
@roger

They claim it's for deniability, in case something goes wrong. Just like lawyers "practice" law. (I strongly suspect they invented the phrase.)

Then again, maybe not.

I may need foot surgery again to correct what highly rated orthopedic surgeons did 25 years ago. Tell me again they're not practicing!

Funny thing, but I would never get away with "practicing" public relations, much less "practicing" education. I wouldn't pay the body shop to "practice" auto mechanics on my car. Or pay a restaurant to "practice" food preparation for my meals. Would you pay a pharmacist to "practice" dispensing your medication? How about your accountant? Could he "practice" preparing your taxes?

ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 07:42 pm
@Eva,
Well, Eva, how do you know, until you do many surgeries? My miserable left eye is a result of what is clear to me now as a complete sliperoo in miniseconds. Years of my life ever after would have been different. I'm not too charmed with that surgeon now.

I take it there is an element of practice going on all the time.

Sloppiness, that is another question, and hard to prove.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 10:40 pm
@NickFun,
NickFun wrote:

And Saudi Arabia is our "ally"?

Wasn't witch burning banned some time back?
In Arabia ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 10:44 pm
@Eva,
Eva wrote:
@roger

They claim it's for deniability, in case something goes wrong. Just like lawyers "practice" law. (I strongly suspect they invented the phrase.)

Then again, maybe not.

I may need foot surgery again to correct what highly rated orthopedic surgeons did 25 years ago. Tell me again they're not practicing!

Funny thing, but I would never get away with "practicing" public relations, much less "practicing" education. I wouldn't pay the body shop to "practice" auto mechanics on my car. Or pay a restaurant to "practice" food preparation for my meals. Would you pay a pharmacist to "practice" dispensing your medication? How about your accountant? Could he "practice" preparing your taxes?

Thay all do, Eva.
The operative part of the word is act; practice.
It means to do.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2010 03:03 pm
Here's the latest:

(CNN) -- The wife of a Lebanese man facing a death sentence in Saudi Arabia for "sorcery" pleaded for mercy Thursday as Lebanon's justice minister asked the kingdom's rulers to halt his beheading.

Family members have been told that Ali Hussain Sibat, who used to offer predictions and advice to callers on a Lebanese television network, is scheduled to be put to death Friday. His wife made an emotional plea for his release during a CNN interview Thursday.

"All I ask is for the Saudi king and the Saudi government to show him mercy -- let him come back to his country and his family," Samira Rahmoon said.

more here: http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/meast/04/01/saudi.arabia.sorcery/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn
0 Replies