mismi

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 03:21 pm
@maporsche,
I am merely talking about the frustration of it. Yes, taking care of your customer - even the ones that are hard to please - will result in sales over time. But it can be frustrating. That doesn't mean you don't do it. And it doesn't mean you shouldn't ever vent a bit.

Look - I was just trying to give you the sales persons point of view. I would love for you to help me - since you seem to be the most patient and empathetic person I have ever met.

There are some customers I actually enjoy. I am pretty sure I would love helping Chai. She seems to be a fun customer.
maporsche

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 03:26 pm
@mismi,
I would never claim to be the most patient or empathetic person ever. I would just never presume that it's ok to complain about the very people my livelihood depends upon. This attitude isn't limited to this discussion board. If you guys think this way here; it impacts your ability to service customers, even if only subconsciously.

We are all customers, and there will always be someone who thinks we're idiots about something. I'm sure some of your mechanics would have a few choice words to say about their customers. I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate that.

I guess people will get what's coming to them.
mismi

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 03:29 pm
@maporsche,
It seems you are very caring. I just can't imagine NEVER being frustrated with some of the people I work with - and never venting. Seems pretty patient and empathetic to me.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 04:15 pm
On the other side of the coin, there are some very stupid retail clerks. I walked into several clothing stores looking for a particular type of winter coat. I described what I wanted (hip length, buttons in the front, small belt in the back, in black, size 8). At each store, I was taken to coats that were longer, shorter, had a belt right around the coat, buttons or zippers, and sometimes black.

I just shake my head - aren't they LISTENING? Just say, Sorry, we don't have such an item, instead of dragging me all over to see stuff you have that I don't want. Please.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 01:13 pm
Jesus wept. For the record I am not rude to customers. Even demanding customers. But I understand the need of most retail clerks to vent once in a while. All I bloody did was say "Gosh I understand how annoying people can be". I'm scheduled to work all of 19 hours next week to do a 40 hour job. Will I be stressed? Yes. Because in spite of making little more than minimum wage I care about doing a good job. I care about looking after my section so that my colleagues in my department do not have to pick up the slack in my area when they're working their own shortened shifts. My store understaffs -- always. And for the record I get really tired of the folks whose stock answer is "if you don't like your job get another one". I want to work 8 months of the year. I have proven myself worth holding on to -- my boss doesn't want to lose me from May through August but she wants me back before Christmas so much that she's willing to deal with it. So I'm not looking for a "better" job. I don't enjoy the grunt work of retail but it suits my purposes and I jolly well make sure I keep my supervisor and manager happy so that they keep me around. This means I keep the customers happy -- they're quick to complain if we don't. I just wish more of them would complain about the lack of staff to the powers that be. Maybe that would make a difference.

It's called venting. V.E.N.T.I.N.G. People vent where they feel safe so they can go to work or wherever put on a smile and cope.

And yes, I would love Chai as a customer. Sometimes I get somebody like her in the store. They make my day.
mismi

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 01:49 pm
@Tai Chi,
I know you aren't rude. I know you are helpful and do your job great. Trust me - most people know exactly what you are saying and don't judge based on a vent. Some apparently do. I wonder if they are as perfect in 3d as they are in 2d? Wink
maporsche

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 01:54 pm
@mismi,
I'm sure if I started a thread about stupid retail clerks; there wouldn't be any contrary opinions expressed would there?

I mean, we've ALL dealt with a less than helpful retail clerk, haven't we....would it be appropriate to open a thread to complain about them. I mean, I'd just be venting of course, so I guess it's fine.
mismi

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 01:54 pm
@maporsche,
It would be fine. There would be contrary opinions - but hopefully nothing personal. You made a judgement about someone based on a random vent.
maporsche

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 01:59 pm
@mismi,
Did I?

I think I commented specifically on the attitudes I saw expressed here. I don't believe I made any judgments about anyone.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 02:05 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
If you guys think this way here; it impacts your ability to service customers, even if only subconsciously.

the mental health folks will tell you that venting is healthy

definitely better than letting a head of steam build up til there's a classic American incident of "going postal".
mismi

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 02:06 pm
@maporsche,
You know...this is pointless. I was just taking up for Tai Chi - who I know does a good job. I didn't need to - I am sure her work record speaks for itself. For some reason I just felt like being like Don Quixote for a bit.

0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 02:08 pm
@ehBeth,
I agree Beth
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 02:13 pm
@ehBeth,
You're right; I've heard that making fun of people is healthy and totally ok. I'm sure that was something my mother told me.
maporsche

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 02:17 pm
@maporsche,
I'm done now. Continue.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 08:15 pm
@Tai Chi,
Exactly! They refuse to wear their glasses when they shop. Come on, lady, you are not now, and never were, Wonder Woman! Going without your glasses does not allow your imagined beauty to shine. One such woman asked for a wine called "Charly Head." I told her it was "Gnarly Head," but refrained from saying Charly Head makes no sense.

When I showed her the bottle, she had to admit that I was right. I never saw her again.
plainoldme

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 08:17 pm
@maporsche,
Hey! If you are as sweet natured as you are here and as unwilling to accept responsibility for your action, I would guess that few of your bank's customers want to speak to you a second time.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 08:20 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Don't take this as sarcasm. Do you ever have face-to-face conversations with people? I have wondered this since my return to A2K.
plainoldme

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 08:22 pm
@ehBeth,
TC must work at MAcy's. Your description sounds exactly like MAcy's.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 08:25 pm
@ossobuco,
I am as well.

Owning a gallery is an entirely different sort of retail. I worked for a woman who owned a gift shop that tended toward being a gallery as she sold hand made ceramics. People love being in the store and the type of customer who loves that sort of establishment is generally nicer, well educated and seeking something to enrich the soul.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 08:48 pm
Jeez Louise! I posted this in order to 1.) have a bit of fun and give people who have worked in retail a chance to vent; 2.) vent myself . . . I am running out of patience with this job and the terrible customers . . . even the nice ones wear me down a tad, and, 3.) to let certain types of people . . . the ones who are terrible customers . . .know that retail store employees often have to deal with people at their worst.

I should say that maporsche is making me a target. I strongly suspect that had a person of maporsche's political stripe started the exact same thread, s/he would be there cheering rather than jeering.