Is Evolution a Dangerous Idea? If so, why?

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2021 12:58 pm
Homosexuality does not occur on a large enough frequency to stall out evolution and even if it did it would be in keeping with the nature of things if our whole species died off from it. There is no guarantee of how long any animal or plant will survive. The cause of our demise lurks someplace, awaiting an opportunity to perform. There are, I think I've read, more extinct than living species by a long shot.
farmerman

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2021 01:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
99 and 4 nines percent more.
farmerman

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2021 01:29 pm
@farmerman,
Its the huge difference tween the extinct v the extant that provides one of the really strong criticisms of anything living being "Designed"
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2021 04:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Homosexuality does not occur on a large enough frequency to stall out evolution

I wasn't suggesting that 'Evolution' itself would stall out, but if Neo Darwinian theory is correct, any genetic characteristic that has a negative impact on reproduction/survival of that characteristic will soon disappear from the specie involved. Can you think of any characteristic that would be more detrimental to that gene reproducing/surviving ?

It's the inevitable inverse of helpful genetic characteristics being reinforced and spreading.

This is BASIC evolution theory. I am amazed at how many believers in Evolution don't understand its most basic working principles.

Of course i am not a believer in either Darwinian Evolution or the current idiotic theories on sexuality, I'm just pointing out the contradictions one has to swallow in order to believe them.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2021 05:52 pm
@Leadfoot,
As long as a negative doesn't cut down on survival of the species, as this clearly doesn't, weeding is just coincidental if it happens. Plus, we are messing with evolution in modern society by protecting many who would not make it living by a swamp hunting bears for a vocation.
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2021 06:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
True, but that is a recent happening.
Evolution hasn't had a chance to 'react' to such short term factors.
As you pointed out, it presumably applies to animal behavior for millions of years. There was no safety net back then to save the less abled.

Its very clever the way you maneuver ME into defending the theory of Evolution : )
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2021 06:57 pm
@Leadfoot,
It's not my intent to change your mind so much as to exercise the defense of the science.
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2021 07:30 am
@edgarblythe,
My wish is that you get better at it.
That is what convinced me, if I hadn't been already.
farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2021 07:43 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
but if Neo Darwinian theory is correct, any genetic characteristic that has a negative impact on reproduction/survival of that characteristic will soon disappear from the specie involved. Can you think of any characteristic that would be more detrimental to that gene reproducing/surviving ?
Circular reasoning at its best. I suppose you first must identify the extinct genera?? That immediately seems to give you something to assert.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2021 07:46 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
Evolution hasn't had a chance to 'react' to such short term factors.
I really believe that you have no idea in hell whats inside the "Origin of SPecies..."
Does the evolution of cichlids in Lake Tanganyika or the Connecticut River, or the bird species within the European settlement period of North Amrica
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2021 07:51 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
My wish is that you get better at it.
That is what convinced me, if I hadn't been already.
Youre so asily convinced if it has the imprimatur of crtain "quasi religious" sources.
Youve still not hit us with any of the little bon mots of Dr Myers book that you requested I read,(but had already done so, so I uppoe Im as prepared to discuss your "evidence of a Creator" (Or is it a mre Intelligence?)
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2021 11:08 am
Anyone else want to defend the evolutionary advantages of homosexuality.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2021 12:08 pm
@Leadfoot,
Look around, what do you see?

Overpopulation.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2021 01:47 pm
@Leadfoot,
Social bonding, conflict avoidance, conflict resolution, and reconciliation, among bonobos.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2021 02:01 pm
@InfraBlue,

It would seem homosexuality is an evolutionary plus for bonobos.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2021 04:04 pm
Don't think you understand the theory you are trying to defend.
Here are the relevant facts.

Yes, homosexuality has enduered for eons. No one is denying that.

Current fashion has it that sexual preference is genetically determined. (Agree ?)

Neo Darwinian theory dictates that ANY SLIGHT reproductive disadvantage will disappear in time and ANY SLIGHT reproductive advantage will completely dominate eventually.

This poses an obvious contradiction.
Which of the above 'facts' do you think is in error that would eliminate the contradiction?

Almost forgot. A giant **** Off to anyone who wants to portray this as homophobic.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2021 04:21 pm
@Leadfoot,
Homosexuality is neither a plus nor a hindrance. It's no disadvantage at all, considering the world is becoming overpopulated. There is no weeding necessary. To hinge a theory on such a weak argument in the face of the overwhelming proof of the theory is a wasted effort.
farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2021 04:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
sorta lik being left handed, eh?
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2021 04:45 pm
@farmerman,
I have left handers in my family. They don't seem to be infringing on my evolution.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2021 05:53 pm
You guys mate left-handed do you?