Is Evolution a Dangerous Idea? If so, why?

Jasper10

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2021 07:33 am
@farmerman,
Farmerman.....I’m not trying to dismiss you here but the evolution debates have been done to death.Can I just say forget the academic SPECTATING debates regarding evolution .Forget carnal definitive proofs.Consciousness and the understanding of them and how they relate to SELF is the next big thing.My logic is totally sound and I defy you to find fault with it.It is not word salad at all.I am not even trying to win a debate here because I don’t have to when it’s experiential.Scientists know that understanding consciousness more is the “hard problem”.
jespah

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2021 07:48 am
@Jasper10,
Jasper10 wrote:

Farmerman.....I’m not trying to dismiss you ...
Nah, I think that's exactly what you're trying to do.
Jasper10

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2021 07:54 am
@jespah,
What can be debated concerning evolution that hasn’t already been debated.Come on start thinking out of the box a bit.If you can find fault with the LOGIC I have presented in past posts then find it and let us all know.
jespah

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2021 08:20 am
@Jasper10,
Putting the word logic in all caps does not make it any more logical.

Anyways, I'm concerned about the new strains of Covid, aren't you?
Jasper10

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2021 08:30 am
@jespah,
Well my intentions are not to be confrontational at all even though it is difficult to not get draw into confrontation regarding difficult topic discussions.Covid is a real challenge I agree and people are seriously scared.Vaccines are on the way to hopefully relieve things a bit though.
jespah

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2021 08:31 am
@Jasper10,
And I hope they do, and I hope you and yours are okay.

But the virus is changing - we're seeing new strains. It's rather concerning.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2021 09:12 am
@Jasper10,
Quote:
What can be debated concerning evolution that hasn’t already been debated.Come on start thinking out of the box a bit.If you can find fault with the LOGIC I have presented in past posts then find it and let us all know.
Your "pqst posts" are all evidence free and composed of mere diatribes against what you seem to assert is an error filled "belief system". Now you want to duck and cover by claiming the debate has gone on long enough.
I submit that, among educated folks, no such debate exists. Science makes its case by strong evidence and facts that are repeatable and falsifiable. Whatve you got thats even close??

Youre the one who jumped in this thread with a bunch of fact-free assertions that evolution is false. Im just asking for something besides your world view to back up your claims. So what we get is some silly reference to QM.(That shows another area of science youre apparently incapable of arguing intelligently).

Ill admit I have no opinion regarding your beliefs regarding consciousness , but ,Im not the one hawking this. Therefore I believe its up to you to make believe youre trying to explain yourPOV to your mother. Thats what I did when I explained to my immigrant grandma what a geologist does to make his contribution to society. Theres a lot of thing science doent unnerstand but these non-understandings are usually on a path to understanding and discovery. What has Creation "cience" done for us besides garble up education in science?
Jasper10

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2021 10:59 am
@farmerman,
What I say maybe doesn’t make any sense to you...that’s ok,I know it makes sense to some people because I talk to them and they say it does..As I am not trying to sell anything to anyone take or leave what I comment on.This isn’t a battle.I know it to be true because I experience it.Consciousness sits above thoughts and reasonings.SELF’ not being thoughts and reasonings needs to be untangled from them hence coming into a experiential understanding of the differing consciousness states.If you don’t accept this then ok...I am trying to help here not hinder.One cannot provide proof to people regarding what I talk about because they need to experience it for themselves hence why I say they need to become a player (my terminology).
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2021 11:15 am
@Jasper10,
Quote:
Evolution is a fantasy until it can be definitively PROVED to be truth. It's nothing more than a HOPEFUL theory and always has been and always will be.
You came in here sounding like a tough guy on your belief. Now youve chickened out entirely. What is it you want to say???

If youre only here to yell at science, why not find some other "true believers" and open a PM and you can have a love fest.
Im a geoscientist and Ive seen your kind for over 40 years, all vines and no taters.
popeye1945

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2021 11:19 am
@farmerman,
farmerman, It is frustrating I know, to bad there is not any rules against just babbling to hear yourself talk.
0 Replies

Jasper10

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2021 11:41 am
@farmerman,
Come on until it can be definitively proved the overall theory of evolution remains just that and there is every possibility that it is just a myth.Not sure why you have an issue with this.You definitely need a plan B.
jespah

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2021 12:07 pm
I guess my subtlety was too subtle Embarrassed

I didn't just bring up Covid to be community-minded. I also brought it up because new strains of it are fighting against our immune systems and our medicine, including our vaccines.

This, by itself, is evidence of evolution.

The strains which can proliferate the fastest and aren't killed by our medicine are the ones most likely to survive. In time (and since microscopic organisms live fast and die young, it's easier to see it), as the weaker strains die out, the species is changed. AKA it transforms. AKA it evolves.

Evolution requires two things, and two only.

1) Live long enough to reproduce and
2) Do so

As Hillel said (under different circumstances), all the rest is commentary. Now go and study it. Smile
Jasper10

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2021 12:18 pm
@jespah,
It may or may not be evidence of evolution...but that isn’t the point though is it.It definitely isn’t definitive proof of evolution....and therefore still has the potential to be mythical.
Jasper10

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2021 12:31 pm
@Jasper10,
Also don’t forget that there is the argument for bad science out there that is biased to belief systems.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2021 12:36 pm
@Jasper10,
I hope those goal posts aren't too heavy.

But seriously, you're expecting oh my God perfect proof no doubts ever ever ever no matter how silly - and you're advocating a "system" based on millennia-old mythology which you're asking people to take on faith?

We don't even require so much proof to put people to death in legal cases.

I've gotta go back to work. Smile
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2021 12:39 pm
@Jasper10,
LIten up. There is never any "proof" of a theory a theory can only be proven by NOT being disproven. A theory is (and Im getting tired of repeating this) an explanation for a phenomenon in which ALL the evidence supports, and NO evidence refutes.

Creationism is a nice tale that was developed by nomads by their campfires and was then recorded in several versions of supposedly "sacred" texts. Trying to say that it supports reality is like the tales of the Easter Bunny.
farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2021 12:42 pm
@jespah,
excellent, but Im afraid our creationist friends will let it all fly ovr their pates
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2021 12:45 pm
@Jasper10,
Quote:

Come on until it can be definitively proved the overall theory of evolution remains just that
Sorry I missed thi the first time. your statement Shows me that you have no idea what a "theory" actually means to science.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2021 12:49 pm
@jespah,
usually, the 'Survival of the fittest" in viruses mans that a virus gradually becomes (by selection) less and less lethal because the lethal strains have killed off their hosts and that kills them also. The indications ar that the mutating strains are not any more lethal and, in one case, slightly less lethal.

Evolution as a modus is beautifully demontrated with covid 19.
0 Replies

Jasper10

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2021 12:53 pm
@farmerman,
Creationist have solid evidence to counter evolution and so they could think the same of evolutionist.They have that much better evidence that evolutionist only now resort to trying to pick holes in it.Evolutionist lose all debates.

Philosophy is only interested in black and white at the end of the day.Grey is no good to anyone.Free will exists ...take your pick.