Is Evolution a Dangerous Idea? If so, why?

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 06:22 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
The difference betwen an Historian and a clown who watches the History channel as their only source of information was clearly demonstrated.

It's not my ONLY source...it was for you, to help you with your understanding of history...remember what I told you about stupid people and moving images.

Quote:
I said : A volcano in Iceland blew up and Europe went without summer for some years. It was called the Dark Ages. At the same time the Catholic church was surrounded by many time their number of bishops who were Arian. These were the Dark Ages for Catholicism. And you said :

The Dark Ages is a term referring to the perceived period of cultural and economic decline and disruption that took place in Western Europe following the decline of the Roman Empire.is derived from Latin saeculum obscurum (dark age), a phrase first recorded in 1602.[3] The label employs traditional light-versus-darkness imagery to contrast the "darkness" of the period with earlier and later periods of "light". Originally, the term characterized the bulk of the Middle Ages as a period of intellectual darkness between the extinguishing of the light of Rome, and the Renaissance or rebirth from the 14th century onwards.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Ages

The dark ages lasted from 476 to 1453...was this caused by a volcano that took away several summers? Makes no sense like everything else you say.

Quote:
War killed people...taxes were not collected...but it was not as bad as you make out. I gave you the real reasons for the term dark ages and you respond with an attempt to sell videos.

Sell videos? who's selling you videos? Go rent it or Google it up...it's for a good cause...for your own education.

Quote:
War killed people...

Really? But religious wars kill even more...no?
Quote:
taxes were not collected...

?
Quote:
but it was not as bad as you make out.

It wasn't as bad...how about the hindering of education and art, and the proliferation of religious nuts, until the Renaissance era?

Quote:
I gave you the real reasons for the term dark ages and you respond with an attempt to sell videos.

You gave me a good reason...now, buy the damn video!
Jason Proudmoore

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 06:25 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
You enter a beauty queen contest and you think that means I find you beautiful..

But in your mind you think I have what it take to be in a beauty queen contest...you must adore the idea of seeing me there...you, bad, you.

Quote:
greek philosphers are probably distraught with grieve at you thinking you are one...

I am not Greek nor a philosopher...does your psychosis make you imagine that again?
Jason Proudmoore

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 06:33 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
They taught you to use the catch cry straw man ?

Who's "they"? Your imaginary friends?

Quote:
WOW ! No further explantion needed.

Don't need to explain...it's as clear as transparent piss.

Quote:
Just cry straw man and everyone agrees with such an assertion.

You don't understand this because you are immersed in your own self centered delusion...get some help, Ionus....seriously.

Quote:
I have explained it as simply as I can
Y-yes....you have...now, go get some help.

Quote:
It is difficult to explain it using nothing but one sylable words.

You have to use more than syllable words, Ionus...now, get some help...please.
spendius

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 06:40 am
The usual trick. Give them a post they can't answer and the only objective is to find some drivel of a personal nature to get it on to the previous page. In a face to face it's the equivalent of banging on a big drum.
Ionus

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 07:08 am
@Jason Proudmoore,
Quote:
not reading something that is known to be nonsensical garbage does not constitute as being a bigot...
You KNOW without reading, but you arent a bigot.....shortness must be terrible !

Quote:
Your definition of "bigot", I presume.
I will yet again link the definition : bigot
n : a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions differing from his own
http://dictionary.die.net/bigot

Quote:
Quote:
Perhaps I should ask have you understood it ?

Yup! I can't see why you ask that question
Of course you cant....you cant see past your rear in the mirror.

Quote:
At this pace, it will take a month.
It would take you a month to list all your qualifications ? Perhaps you are overcompensating.

Quote:
Quote:
And you cant understand why your narcistic homosexual avatar has anything to do with it...
Not at all...could you explain it...this does seem to be irrelevant.
I have..are you pleading helpless stupidity now ?

Quote:
You said : a scientific theory is an explanation composed of facts...would you also say that music theory, the theory of gravity , the theory of germs, the theory of nuclear fusion, and other scientific theories are not factual?
Quote:
I said : A Theory by definition can be proven wrong when more facts are known.
Quote:
You said : So what? If the theory can be proven wrong, it was a failed theory to begin with...
You try to be dismissive in the hope someone who believe you know what you are talking about. Forlorne hope. Can you tell which theories are failed theories before more facts are known ?

Quote:
The definition of the word "theory" you provided was the colloquial definition of a "guess"...
No it wasnt.

Ionus

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 07:10 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
he seems to have an unending supply of spot-on funny graphics.....you should quit before this gets even funnier at your expense.
Yes, Gomer, I can see how pretty pictures will fool a gullible easily led mind. You do know that he was thrown out of kindergarten for eating the paste and the library for cutting ?
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 07:23 am
@Jason Proudmoore,
Quote:
I told you that it may take me a month or more...( to list all my qualifications)
Seek help.

Quote:
the idea that the ancient sailors knew that the Earth was round is not even relevant to the argument about whether the catholic church enforced the belief of a flat earth even when it was shown to be otherwise...get it?
So you want to change tack....OK. I have explained before, in one of those posts that you as a self proclaimed non-bigot have surely read and understood, that the Catholic Church changed its opinion with the changing of the guard. Some years it believed the earth was flat, followed by bouts of it was a globe. This was not an official permanent policy based on the Bible. Those who thought the world was flat, like you, would torture the Bible to mean what they wanted.

Quote:
Quote:
That the desert they dwelt in was not flat ?

So what?
Do you homestly think that your constant smart arse so what shows you for anything more than a crack addict ? Who will think you are clever because you can say "So what ?"

Quote:
I thought ships were made of wood and people were made of mud, according to the belief that you so ardently defend.
So what ?

Quote:
It helps my humor.
It almost brings a tear to my eye to think of you struggling pathetically and you can still manage a smile. Brave, brave little Gayson Prodmemore ! Sad

Quote:
What are you doing? Does the Bible say that the world is spherical using the same definition in Hebrew...no, right? So, why are you giving me these definitions then?
You will need them when you quote from the oldest known source for the Bible passages you wish to analyze. This will be fun.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 07:24 am
@spendius,
The only people giving out any real facts on the thread are fm and jason. You two are accorded all the respect you deserve.
Ionus

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 07:29 am
@Jason Proudmoore,
Quote:
Where did you take literature?
I didnt take it to strange new places like you.
Quote:
huh? Hello, anybody home? huh?
You dont understand much do you...what you fail to realise with your smart arse attitude is that you are losing the respect of anyone trying to follow this. Can you fit in another "So what ?"

Quote:
Quote:
Who drew that diagram ? Was it God ? Or man ? Sorry, or Womankind ?
It was the Lion King...
So what happened to your belief :
Quote:
sources, a concept that you don't know about.
What was the source ? Another fool like you who thinks he can convert religious people by bullying them.

Your arrogance and stupidity singularly dont make you great, but in combination they make you extraordinary. Just as an aside, do you have mental health problems ?
Ionus

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 07:32 am
@Jason Proudmoore,
Quote:
Quote:
OMG ! We have agreed ! Will they thumb me up, all those arse-licking sycophants ?

But it's your contradictory ideas that make the rationals of A2K to take away points from your "thumbs"...
No, it is their ability to be just as arrogant and destructive as the fundamentalists they wail against. They like knee jerk emotional attacks, they just done like anyone else's.

Quote:
Quote:
If you are looking to bash a fundamentalist Christian, you havent found one . Keep looking.

But you are a fundamentalist Christian with an identity crisis. My search has ended!
No I am not. You ability to be wrong makes you very consistent.
Ionus

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 07:34 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
The only people giving out any real facts on the thread are fm and jason.
Arent you worried Gomer will suggest all three of you get a room together and tea bag each other till the sheep come home ? I see you are still running around barking and nipping at heels.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 07:43 am
@Jason Proudmoore,
Quote:
It's not my ONLY source...
Thats the spirit.

Quote:
remember what I told you about stupid people and moving images.
So what ?

Quote:
The dark ages lasted from 476 to 1453...was this caused by a volcano that took away several summers? Makes no sense like everything else you say.
For God's sake dont try and cross the street alone. Where do you think the name came from ?

Quote:
Sell videos? who's selling you videos? Go rent it or Google it up...it's for a good cause...for your own education.
As you so eloquently put it ...HUH ???

Quote:
But religious wars kill even more...no?
No.

Quote:
how about the hindering of education and art
Who gives a **** about Roman Art being hindered. Do you think those peoples that invaded were inferior ? Whp says they were not educated ? many had been Roman commanders. Your lack of knowledge is scary when compared to what you think you know.
Ionus

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 07:45 am
@Jason Proudmoore,
Seriously, all jokes aside, what are you trying to portray with that avatar ?

Quote:
I am not Greek nor a philosopher...
Oh well done...a round of applause for our first timer and his confession. Admitting the problem is the first stage of working through to a cure.
Ionus

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 08:00 am
@Jason Proudmoore,
Quote:
Quote:
They taught you to use the catch cry straw man ?

Who's "they"? Your imaginary friends?
Perhaps you should read the original context. Just so people dont think you are stupid beyond belief.

Quote:
Quote:
Just cry straw man and everyone agrees with such an assertion.
You don't understand this because you are immersed in your own self centered delusion...
I dont agree with just saying a catch phrase in the hope of distracting attention from your inability to reply. I call shenanigans ! Shenanigans !

Quote:
Quote:
I have explained it as simply as I can.....It is difficult to explain it using nothing but one sylable words.

You have to use more than syllable words, Ionus...
But I did..and you can not understand the simplest concepts..is your mirror distracting you or cant you see the monitor from down there ?
Ionus

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 08:47 am
@spendius,
Quote:
There is a chicken and egg situation here. Is morality natural and the cause of religion or is it artificial and caused by religion? It is impoosible from a look at Darwin's Origins and from reading history to conclude that morality is natural. Hence, if religion causes morality can its supernatural sanctions now be dispensed with if the religiously caused morality is so entrenched as to be unassailable and can be maintained by secular authority, early education and public opinion?
Religion had its start in fear of death and bad weather. Efficiency such as pottery and farming techniques allowed excess harvests to fund a priestly class who could take away the guesswork and legalised morality was born. Morality does exist in animals. One could argue that science took away morality when we moved into cities and became too clever for our own good. Previously in tribal society, morality was in the hands of elders, but in cities it was in the hands of Kings. Once group concensus was required, then the Kings orders were enough.

It is no coincidence that the wars of the 20th C were about which government to use. Suddenly morality supported by politics science and a thrivig economy erupted without religion, in fact religion took a nose dive but the world grew more morally aware anyway. Science jumped on the band wagon and came up with unbelievable dribble to attract the sweatty masses. Other dimensions, space and time travel, alternate realities and universes are just a few of the previously religious spirit world concepts science unabashedly took over to manipulate the people. Global Warming is the latest example of trying to convince people with the mythology and power of science.

This type of non-religious morality is a fashion statement. As soon as someone's life is at stake, they will abandon human rights quicker than a customer bolting for the door at a brothel when the cops raid. Religion is required because it ties our greatest fear with our greatest need...the promise of a life after death with a sense of justice and morality in life before death.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 09:11 am
Ionus wrote:
Religion is required because it ties our greatest fear with our greatest need...the promise of a life after death with a sense of justice and morality in life before death.

Oy, oy, oy!

How can you so boldly generalize?

As far as I'm concerned, your quote is just crap.

Greatest fear? Greatest need? It's fine with me if those are yours, but don't you even think that it's the case for everybody.

Trying to spread such insane assertions denotes a pernicious lack of judgment..
spendius

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 09:19 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
The only people giving out any real facts on the thread are fm and jason. You two are accorded all the respect you deserve.

Don't you think this is a real fact Ed?

Quote:
No idea can be considered dangerous, or beneficial, if the future consequences of it are of no importance.

Really? It makes me wonder whether you understood your own question.

Your knickers are showing.

What facts related to the topic have fm and JP offered? All they've done, with a little help from Io, is hide the few facts that have been on here. All mine of course. No doubt you approve as you don't like anything which says evolution is a dangerous idea and you are unable to counter anything that does. So are fm and JP.

You'll be issuing team shirts next and getting a rattle.

Ionus

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 09:22 am
@Francis,
Quote:
How can you so boldly generalize?
Arent you bodly stating the negative must be correct ? I think people live in denial of death. We seem to be the only animal that knows we must die. If you have a sense of justice and morality without religion then I suspect it is a fashion statement so you can think fine things about yourself. Life is selfish because it is the only thing that works. Morality is based on selfishness, including death denial.

What do you think is mankinds greatest fear if not death ?

What do you think is mankinds greatest need if not morality ?
Francis

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 09:28 am
@Ionus,
As you state it's based on selfishness, I can admit I'm selfish.

Being so, what mankind think about death or morality doesn't bother me the least.

I don't fear death and I'm in peace with my morals.

I hope it's the same for you but I'd not be proud of spreading such crap...
spendius

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 09:30 am
@Francis,
Quote:
Trying to spread such insane assertions denotes a pernicious lack of judgment..

Seeing as how you have popped into this thread Francois have you any views on my posts? Or do you prefer open goals?

Have you a response to this?

Quote:
There is a chicken and egg situation here. Is morality natural and the cause of religion or is it artificial and caused by religion? It is impoosible from a look at Darwin's Origins and from reading history to conclude that morality is natural. Hence, if religion causes morality can its supernatural sanctions now be dispensed with if the religiously caused morality is so entrenched as to be unassailable and can be maintained by secular authority, early education and public opinion?

If the answer to that question is in the affirmative then evolution is not a dangerous idea but if the answer is in the negative then evolution is a dangerous idea.

I firmly believe the answer is in the negative and therefore I think evolution is a dangerous idea. I think it will cause increasingly repressive secular authorities to control early education and public opinion, expand, and become corrupt in the exercise of unchallenged power and collapse of internal contradictions.
0 Replies