Is Evolution a Dangerous Idea? If so, why?

Ionus

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 06:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Jesus H Christ. The last time you added anything new, they were still dunking witches.
Still running around niping at heels, hey Ed ? Thats all you can do without getting mauled by a big dog.
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 06:30 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
We have it on your authority they would not have rejected the idea...I hope you understand this makes me laugh....

That's possibly because you didn't take your pills today.

Quote:
Thales claimed that the Earth was flat whereas Anaximander made it a "stone column".

So what?!!! What's your point?
Quote:
The earliest claim for the round shape of the Earth known came from Pythagoras. It was reported that Pythagoras reasoned from the perpetual round shape of lunar eclipses that the Earth could neither be flat nor cylindrical, but only spherical.

So, we agree that it was a scientific observation that led to the discovery of a spherical Earth? You're just admitting it here. The Bible nor the other ancient religious books contribute to this discovery...right?

Quote:
The church was always divided on the issue.

Why was the church divided? Was it divided because the idea didn't agree with the Bible's? Or was it other of Ionus's illogical explanation?

Quote:
Sometimes the flat-earthers were in power, other times the round-earthers were in power. Big deal.

But you do agree now that the Earth is spherical and not flat, right?

Ionus

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 06:34 pm
@Jason Proudmoore,
Quote:
It makes me "bigotted" when I don't agree with your illogical arguments
No, Gayson, it makes you a bigot when you refuse to read anything that disagrees with your opinion. Catch up...the definition of a Bigot has been posted several times and you always maintain you have read it. Perhaps I should ask have you understood it ?

Quote:
...it's more like educating you
Would this be the result of your education that would take a week to list all your qualifications ? And you cant understand why your narcistic homosexual avatar has anything to do with it....whilst I, according to you, have no education. You must be very short indeed.

Quote:
...when you are saying "theory", you mean a guess ...but a scientific theory is an explanation composed of facts...would you also say that music theory, the theory of gravity , the theory of germs, the theory of nuclear fusion, and other scientific theories are not factual?
A Theory by definition can be proven wrong when more facts are known. It was in the definition of Theory that I quoted several times...you know the definition that a Bigot would not read.
Quote:
What the hell does this mean?...
Read it again...slowly...dont get distracted by a mirror :
"And some day theories become a fact in themselves. Some theories are more accurate then others, some have more facts in them, so to label a theory as fact because you worship science is stupid beyond belief. According to you, it is impossible for a theory to be a fact because it is composed of facts KNOWN AT THE TIME. So nothing has ever progressed passed a theory. Stupid. "
farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 06:38 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
Actually, when one posts "Scientific Theory" into WIKIPEDIA, that was the resulting quote.Quote:
That explanation from WIKIPEDIA is kind of bullshitty from a Philosophical basis. Its wholly incomplete when speaking of science Heres a simple series of explanations that are from Answers.comWell, which is it Gomer ? Do we use Wiki or not ?

Actually, you are that stupid to fail to recognize that the same word has several meanings. In one sense(NOT IN SCIENCE) it means a more speculative arena. In science it signifies an entiore aspect of fact, experimentation and evidence (as well as an original hypothesis) that supports and SUSTAINS a whole bevvy of reasons how something in science occurs.
Using string theory as a real example is stupid becase it doesnt meet the test of what is a theory in science. BUt youve heard all that and it just aint sinkin in your apatitic crust.

Ive flunked kids smarter than you. In grad school that means a "D" or lower. SO what you used to earn by skipping the hard stuff, would not let you fly by in a grad program . I feel saddened that Ive flunked those kids and Ive spent so much good capital trying to explain a simple poiint to you. Im not trying to be too blunt with you, however,I just expect more from respondents who spend so much time denying such basic points
Ionus

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 06:38 pm
@Jason Proudmoore,
Quote:
AAAhhh, quote mining.
No, it is a definition. Try to live with it.

Quote:
Why not "his/her own" or "their own"?
No doubt being a woman's libber you object to the word man or mankind being used to denote modern humans.

Quote:
I wrote:
Quote:
So, by me ....not reading it makes me a bigot

You wrote:
Quote:
Correct. Esp when you then comment on it.

What? Come on, mite! Could you elaborate more?
No, not really...that is very simple.
Jason Proudmoore

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 06:40 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
That is your argument.

Okay...
Quote:
I am not allowed to question science because theories are all factual and science is always complete and beyond question.

You are allowed to question anything you want...you're doing it right now...that's why there is a scientific peer review team, Ionus...
Quote:
It was complete then, and it is complete now.

In every theory there are holes, but those holes don't make the facts of the theories nonfactual...there are both not mutually exclusive.
Can you do me a favor, Ionus, and show now a theory that is not composed of facts...can you show me a non-factual theory, or a theory that has an non-factual idea?

Quote:
And in the future when it all has to be thrown out and restated as more theories, it will be complete then too.

As long as we have genuine scientists and not religious pseudo scientists, and honest scientific peer reviewers, there will always be good scientific theories...
Jason Proudmoore

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 06:46 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
A volcano in Iceland blew up and Europe went without summer for some years. It was called the Dark Ages. At the same time the Catholic church was surrounded by many time their number of bishops who were Arian. These were the Dark Ages for Catholicism.

The history channel has a series that is worth watching, Ionus...do you like television?
After the fall of Rome and before the rebirth of the Renaissance, Europe survived six centuries of continental revolution characterized by famine, plague and bloodshed -- a time known as the Dark Ages. At its worst, life in the Dark Ages was miserable, brutish and " for the fortunate " short. But through the darkness shone scattered rays of light, men and women who tended the flame of progress while the world around them descended into chaos. Those points of light brought about the footprint of modern Europe both politically and culturally. The two-hour special THE DARK AGES explores the unprecedented period spanning the fall of Rome and Europe's "medieval awakening."
Ionus

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 06:47 pm
@Jason Proudmoore,
Quote:
Quote:
22 He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth,
and its people are like grasshoppers.

The verse above explains how god sits in a throne in heaven and looks down upon the earth and sees people who look small like grasshoppers
No, it doesnt.It means he is above the interactions of earth. Did you see The Lion King ? That had a circle in it. Did you get confused and imagine a real circle of life ? 'Like when you and your friends get together and form a daisy chain ? Its people are like grasshoppers because grasshoppers are not very significant by comparison with people. Or do you think we were grasshoppers then but we evolved ?

You repeated this quote but didnt or couldnt comment on it :
Quote:
Daniel 4:10-11 (New International Version)
10 These are the visions I saw while lying in my bed: I looked, and there before me stood a tree in the middle of the land. Its height was enormous. 11 The tree grew large and strong and its top touched the sky; it was visible to the ends of the earth.
You see just repeating a quote provided by others doesnt mean much...you are supposed to comment on it.

Quote:
Let me show you a diagram of what the ancients understood to be the Bible definition of everything:
Who drew that diagram ? Was it God ? Or man ? Sorry, or Womankind ?
Ionus

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 06:48 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
I strongly suggest that all of you stop posting.
OMG ! A strong suggestion ! Is this a takeover, a hijack or a coup ?
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 06:49 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
I think I added something new POM.
That is irrelevant. A woman has spoken, and they are equal so we have to do what they say.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 06:55 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
Alright. Enough. I strongly suggest that all of you stop posting. Nothing new is being added
Your probably right. Anus has a lot in common with Osmium .
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 07:13 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
No, it is a definition.

Which does not apply...

Quote:

Try to live with it.

But I am living with it...it's wonderful.

Quote:
No doubt being a woman's libber you object to the word man or mankind being used to denote modern humans.

This is what you wrote:
Quote:
Of course you cant.
bigot
n : a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions differing from his own

It should have been "his/her own" or "their own"(modifying the subject)...it is for sure your definition, when it discriminates.

Quote:
No, not really...that is very simple.

If it is so simple, why don't you try to at least explain it?...even this is a straw man....
Jason Proudmoore

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 07:14 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
Is that what they told you to say in the Beauty Queen contest ?

WOW!!! This is revealing...you find me beautiful....!
Jason Proudmoore

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 07:18 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
So if we say the same thing, your version is better so they cant be arse licking sycophants

Let's just say that my version is more...shall we say...uh.. sane...?

Quote:
Why is it you think you understand Philosophy ?

I don't know...I think I took a couple of exams back in college...and according to my professor, I pass them all...I think I understand something.

Quote:
I dont ? Is this the same ESP you use to determine you are right ?

Is it the same thing...don't confuse **** with ointment.

Quote:
So its THEIR democracy, not mine....rightttttt !

It's our democracy...you also count.
Ionus

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 07:25 pm
@Jason Proudmoore,
+
Quote:
Why are you adamantly insist that Eratosthenes didn't prove that the world was a sphere?
I thought if it would take you a week to list all your qualifications you might have studied somewhere what it takes to PROVE something, rather than calculate what it would be if the THEORY was correct.

Quote:
The Hebrew Bible carried forward the ancient Middle Eastern cosmology, revealed partly in the Enuma Elish
As you raise this point to counter that the ancient sea peoples knew the earth was curved, I take it you are saying the Bible was written by Sea Peoples ? That the desert they dwelt in was not flat ?

Quote:
Quote:
That is not a picture of early sailing vessels.

How early do you wanna go? This early? or this early? What's the difference between those type of ships and the argument that the uneducated ancient religious believed that the world was flat?
Well, try to understand .....The difference is one group is composed of ships and the other is composed of people. Ships were made of wood and people were made of flesh. Is this helping at all ?
Quote:
Quote:
If you doont know what words were used then admit you were silly to bring it up.

Could you tell me how the ancient used the word and provide me the source of the material?
Certainly :

Sphere
M. Monier-Williams' Sanskrit dictionary. It relates sphur to English spur, spurn, and a Greek spairoo (i.e. not sph-). Some sphar meanings are 'expand, open', which perhaps could be regarded as "akin" to a sphere...
The root of the word, however, as given by Dr. Kenealy, is the Hebrew sphr, and means " a book," because the concavity of the heavens was called by the Hebrews a scroll or book. Their word for book is sepher, or sphere, and anciently there was a library at Debir "Kirjath-Sepher, or city of books (Judges i, n ; Isaiah xxxiv, 4). The Hebrew root SPR can be traced back to Akkadian, where it means something written.
round (adj., adv.)
late 13c., from Anglo-Fr. rounde, O.Fr. roont, probably originally *redond, from V.L. *retundus (cf. Prov. redon, Sp. redondo, O.It. ritondo), from L. rotundus "like a wheel, circular, round," related to rota "wheel" (see rotary).
Ionus

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 07:32 pm
@Jason Proudmoore,
Quote:
Quote:
We have it on your authority they would not have rejected the idea...I hope you understand this makes me laugh....

That's possibly because you didn't take your pills today.
I dont take pills ...but why did you think of that ? Ohhhh..right..steroid abuse...

Quote:
Quote:
Thales claimed that the Earth was flat whereas Anaximander made it a "stone column".

So what?!!! What's your point?
You cite religion as being inferior to science for believing in a flat earth ....correct ? I show you two of your precious homosexual greek friends as believing the earth was flat and a stone coloumn but you need an explanation ? Really ??

Quote:
Quote:
The church was always divided on the issue.

Why was the church divided? Was it divided because the idea didn't agree with the Bible's?
It was divided because some were knowledgable and others were like you and tortured the Bible's words to get a false meaning.

Quote:
Quote:
Sometimes the flat-earthers were in power, other times the round-earthers were in power. Big deal.

But you do agree now that the Earth is spherical and not flat, right?

Yes and I take it you will be arguing against that ?
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 07:40 pm
@Jason Proudmoore,
Quote:
show now a theory that is not composed of facts...quote]Pick any theory that has been discarded when facts were found to be different. With your qualifications that would take more than a week to list, are you claiming you are unaware of discarded theories ? Not one ? Oh, right, you are a slow talker..that is why it would take more than a week...and you get distracted to run off and look in the mirror....

Quote:
As long as we have genuine scientists and not religious pseudo scientists, and honest scientific peer reviewers, there will always be good scientific theories...
OMG ! We have agreed ! Will they thumb me up, all those arse-licking sycophants ?

If you are looking to bash a fundamentalist Christian, you havent found one . Keep looking.
Ionus

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 07:44 pm
@Jason Proudmoore,
Quote:
The history channel has a series that is worth watching, Ionus...do you like television?
The difference betwen an Historian and a clown who watches the History channel as their only source of information was clearly demonstrated. I said : A volcano in Iceland blew up and Europe went without summer for some years. It was called the Dark Ages. At the same time the Catholic church was surrounded by many time their number of bishops who were Arian. These were the Dark Ages for Catholicism. And you said :
Quote:
At its worst, life in the Dark Ages was miserable, brutish and " for the fortunate " short.
War killed people...taxes were not collected...but it was not as bad as you make out. I gave you the real reasons for the term dark ages and you respond with an attempt to sell videos.
Ionus

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 07:47 pm
@Jason Proudmoore,
Quote:
...you find me beautiful....!
You enter a beauty queen contest and you think that means I find you beautiful...greek philosphers are probably distraught with grieve at you thinking you are one...
Ionus

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 07:59 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Actually, you are that stupid to fail to recognize that the same word has several meanings.
Are you that stupid to know that you have said a theory is not a fact and a theory is a fact....

Quote:
Using string theory as a real example is stupid because it doesnt meet the test of what is a theory in science.
and clearly you do not know that different scientific disciplines have a different definition of theory. What do you do again ? Dig holes ?

Quote:
Ive flunked kids smarter than you.
I doubt that. Baseless assertion. All you are good for...But why did you flunk them ? Wouldnt they go to the barn ?