Is Evolution a Dangerous Idea? If so, why?

spendius

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 12:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
First off we are not rabbits. And second nobody is forcing you to believe anything Ed. If we forced you you would believe.

We don't mind if you don't take it. I don't at least. You can piss into the wind for the rest of your life if that's what you want.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 12:03 pm
@spendius,
You are so desperate to turn back atheism, yet claim no one tries to force anything uppon us. Pardon me while I barf.
spendius

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 12:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
THe Bible's villifying of serpents is in itself despicable. My whole life, I have watched as these useful animals get murdered for no good reason.

It's only a mythological personification Ed just like the Eagle is for nobility and grandeur. I'm against the un-necessary killing of animals (it's not murder as the 47.2 million abortions are thought to be) just as much as you are Ed. The myth is designed to discourage children going near snakes I imagine. Rats have been villified. And many viruses. Even the Japanese at one point.

Don't try the moral worthiness on me.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 12:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
If we have tried to force belief on you we have been pretty inept at it by the look of A2K.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 07:31 pm
@rosborne979,
If you have no conceptual differences between pixies and God then it calls into question how much you undertsand about either.
Ionus

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 07:42 pm
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
Any 'facts' proposed to support the belief in the supernatural aren't.
Correct. It requires a leap of faith. It also requires a leap of faith to say God does not exist.

Quote:
It's completely made-up and every purveyor of religion will admit such everytime they fall back onto the taking any contradictions on faith.
You seem to be assuming there are no contradictions in science. Do you take those on faith, or do you like most religious people do, hope these will be resolved someday? But in the meantime I bet you do not suddenly declare all technology to be useless and you will wait for resolution of string theory before you use it.

Quote:
What makes evolution and natural selection such a dangerous idea is that it makes the belief in the supernatural completely unnecessary to the human condition.
There are very large areas of potential knowledge where science hasnt a clue. Many areas of evolution are skipped over with the flimsiest mention. Physicists talk about extra dimensions and other universes, which are by there very nature, supernatural.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 07:47 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

If you have no conceptual differences between pixies and God then it calls into question how much you undertsand about either.
It's not their differences which are important to the context of the comment, it's their similarities (they are both supernatural entities). And if you can't see that, then you are missing the point (or dodging the point).
farmerman

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 07:50 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
It's interesting that most people seem to be able to accept the loss of pixies and elves in their view of reality, but it's the one BIG Pixie they have trouble letting go of.

Pixies and elves dont have an intercessional priesthood that , in its self proclaimed standard of credibility relies upon a dubious literature that the priests claim is derived from the very gods that they intercede for. IZZAT a conflict of interests? The entire job security of the priests requires that they convince the greatest number of money pledging rubes that they arent merely scam artists with loose grasps on any codes of morals..
Ionus

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 07:50 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I have read articles in which the very existence of Moses and his story are in question.
The topic precludes a proper discussion but I can do a very good defence of a real life Moses.

Quote:
Serpent stick eats other serpent stick. You ought to be embarrassed by that post, spendi.
You should be embarrassed Ed not Spendy. The trick is you wind a certain type of snake upside down and backwards around a stick which becalms the reptile. The stick is cast to the ground and the reptile is shocked into moving. You can still see this in Egypt today.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 07:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
The religious wish to force their belief system on the rest of the world. Bottom line. We don't have to take it.
May I paraphrase you ?
The science nuts wish to force their belief system on the rest of the world. Bottom line. We don't have to take it.

Belief in God is doing good for many people. Short of the actual scientists doing the work, why is a belief in science good for people unless they are replacing faith in God with non-scientific faith in Science ?
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 07:59 pm
@Ionus,
Paraphrasing is not welcome.
Belief in God is hurting as many people as it helps. You people erroneously think a new belief system similar to religion must be in place if religion vanishes. Not necessarily so. I have no such belief system and I function very well this way.
Ionus

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 07:59 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
It's not their differences which are important to the context of the comment, it's their similarities (they are both supernatural entities).
So is the sound of a tree falling in a forest when there is no one nearby to hear it.

Quote:
And if you can't see that, then you are missing the point (or dodging the point).
The you should be able to take no effort to explain to me just how similar pixies and God really are...I suspect you are making a broad statement that collpases when analysed in anything approaching honesty.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 08:01 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
It's interesting that most people seem to be able to accept the loss of pixies and elves in their view of reality, but it's the one BIG Pixie they have trouble letting go of.

The difference between gods and pixies is that the god of the Bible has an intercessional priesthood which claims their bases for credibility is some dubious literature that is inspired by the very gods for which they intercede. Thats aconflict of interests in any worldview.
The priesthoods need to convince the largest percentage of paying rubes that what they are following is based upon "facts", so they will use whatever means to skillfully turn the world of fact derived conclusions and evidence upside down so that the massive holes in logic that the priests rely upon are merely relegated to supernatural "mysteries".

No one has ever lost money using Scientific means to locate oil in the strata of an old world, conversely, no oine has made money using Creationist and ID dogma to do the same.
SSSHHHH , dont wake up the faithful.

0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 08:02 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Pixies and elves dont have an intercessional priesthood that , in its self proclaimed standard of credibility relies upon a dubious literature that the priests claim is derived from the very gods that they intercede for. IZZAT a conflict of interests? The entire job security of the priests requires that they convince the greatest number of money pledging rubes that they arent merely scam artists with loose grasps on any codes of morals..
An astute point FM which history would agree with. But people need organisation. Look at the sect (watchyacallums - I forget the name) that suicided so a UFO could collect their souls. THAT is what happens if you leave religion disorganised.
farmerman

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 08:05 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
The science nuts wish to force their belief system on the rest of the world. Bottom line. We don't have to take it
Bullshit based on ignorance of the news. Science isnt busy trying to force its methodological materialism upon any of the Charter or parochial schools who wiosh to teach about pisies and elves and gods. WHereas, RELIGION INC is buisy trying to get its nose under the tent of our public schools.
Ionus

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 08:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Belief in God is hurting as many people as it helps.
Really ? Are you certain that is not a throw away line ? Perhaps you can give me your estimate of how many people are helped by religion and how many people are hurt by it. Include a rough outline of how they are helped and how they are hurt.

Quote:
You people erroneously think a new belief system similar to religion must be in place if religion vanishes.
You people ? Worshippers are the new niggers ? To be vilified because science can explain everything ? You should read more science. I dont think your assumption of religion vanishing is correct. Perhaps if you gave some scientific evidence rather than just your faith...

Quote:
I have no such belief system and I function very well this way.
This is your opinion about yourself. Very unreliable data for the scientifically trained.
farmerman

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 08:18 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
But people need organisation. Look at the sect (watchyacallums - I forget the name) that suicided so a UFO could collect their souls. THAT is what happens if you leave religion disorganised

However, when you DO a better job of organization you create a working class of acolyte "martyrs" bent on kamikazee prosyletizing of their dogma. All based upon a convenient mythological liturgy.

The secret is that the priesthood demands control of the malleabally simple and this control requires no bases in fact, in fact, logic has no place in religious control ,it only needs mantras to be recited while the plane crashes into a building.
Ionus

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 08:28 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Science isnt busy trying to force its methodological materialism
So what are you and those sideing with you here doing ? When you equate God to pixies ? When you say you have evolution now, others should give up God ? when you say religion is hurting more people than it is helping ?

Quote:
RELIGION INC is buisy trying to get its nose under the tent of our public schools.
Your amerocentric view of the whole world is touchingly patriarchal. We have religious instruction in all our schools. It is voluntary, very general instructions based on the parables. They simply use the classrooms and facilities. It is not allowed to go into specifics of religion but is based on general principles of morality.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 08:31 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
However, when you DO a better job of organization you create a working class of acolyte "martyrs" bent on kamikazee prosyletizing of their dogma. All based upon a convenient mythological liturgy.
That is bullshit and it dishonours you to try it. Suicide and murder is as far from religion as you can get. ALL organised religions condemn it. Dont they have the news out there ?
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 08:40 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Quote:
Belief in God is hurting as many people as it helps.
Really ? Are you certain that is not a throw away line ? Perhaps you can give me your estimate of how many people are helped by religion and how many people are hurt by it. Include a rough outline of how they are helped and how they are hurt.

Quote:
You people erroneously think a new belief system similar to religion must be in place if religion vanishes.
You people ? Worshippers are the new niggers ? To be vilified because science can explain everything ? You should read more science. I dont think your assumption of religion vanishing is correct. Perhaps if you gave some scientific evidence rather than just your faith...

Quote:
I have no such belief system and I function very well this way.
This is your opinion about yourself. Very unreliable data for the scientifically trained.
I vilified only the busybodies of the faith. Anybody else is exempt. You don't read my posts with accuracy. That leads me to believe you don't read much else with accuracy. I did not say religion would vanish. I said "IF" religion vanished. You are working yourself up to the level of getting abusive. Try drinking a glass of water and sitting still a few minutes.