University of Phoenix / Walden College

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 01:50 pm
Do you guys have any thoughts/opinions. Good/bad programs. Decent career prospects afterwards.

'Normal' college doesn't fit my schedule right now. Looking at other options.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,654 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 01:58 pm
@maporsche,
I always thought Walden College was a fictional gag school invented by Gary Trudeau for the Doonesbury comic strip.
0 Replies

mm25075

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 02:00 pm
@maporsche,
I have a Bachelor from UoP in Management. I worked in groups with other management people from my area in some of the big businesses around town. Learned a lot from them. The instructors work in the fields they teach so it is current to what is going on today.

Great program, although I prefer non-online classes. I took two online for my Master's and found it took more time just to fulfill the 'participation' requirements in a week than I had previously spent in 'in person' classes.
roger

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 02:02 pm
@maporsche,
At one time, I knew a lady who got a job based on a degree from Phoenix. If I ever knew the details, they are long forgotten.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 03:30 pm
@mm25075,
Do you feel that your degree is viewed upon more poorly than other colleges? I have a concern about both these schools being considered 'degree mills' and not being taken seriously. Have you experienced any problems when applying for jobs, etc.
mm25075

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 03:40 pm
@maporsche,
Personally I have had no problem getting positions I applied for. Of course, it may depend on the program chosen. The management program was different from most colleges because you worked quite closely with others on group projects/presentations. This was a time when meeting with the group in person for 4 hours a week was a requirement. Now there is an option of using technology communication to fullfill the group participation requirements

I've never had anyone make negative comments about the degree program. The biggest issues I encountered were individual team members who thought they didn't need to work as much as others, but the peer evaluation process can prevent them from passing some classes if handled appropriately.
maporsche

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 03:46 pm
@mm25075,
Very helpful...thank you mm.
mm25075

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 03:50 pm
@maporsche,
I would like to add, that the things I learned in my program were very relevent to my work environments and I learned quite a lot from the instructor but probably even learned more from my group members because it provided me with a lot of different perspectives all at once.

I still have contact with many of my group members. Some have been excellent networking contacts into the local businesses around me.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 05:38 pm
My daughter got a master's in education from U-Ph. She thinks the degree was a huge waste of time but she also feels that education and business courses are a substitute for common sense.

She wasn't able to do the master's she wanted to do because of time and space constraints and she regrets not doing a master's in Spanish.
0 Replies