they're pulling out = ?

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 06:56 am

Context:
The suggestion that homelessness can be cool chimes with a fashion trend that many have considered tasteless: in January, the designer Vivienne Westwood presented a "homeless chic" show in which models were styled to look like rough sleepers, a move prefigured by Ben Stiller's satirical film Zoolander, which featured a similar show called Derelicte. Two years ago the supermodel Erin Wasson revealed the homeless were her fashion inspiration, saying: "When I... see the homeless, like, I'm like, 'Oh my God, they're pulling out, like, crazy looks and they, like, pull **** out of like garbage cans.'"

But anyone with similar designs on Brother Sharp's sartorial tips is out of luck. His identity remains a secret, and social workers in Ningbo say they want to keep it that way. "Homeless people are vulnerable. It is incorrect to use them for entertainment purposes," said one worker at a homeless centre in Ningbo. Brother Sharp is said to appear mentally disturbed when approached on the street.

More context, click:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/handsome-chinese-vagrant-draws-fans-of-homeless-chic-1915812.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 982 • Replies: 2
No top replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 08:42 am
Erin Wasson sounds like one of the world's premier airheads. In context it sounds like she means homeless people are creating really bizarre (and creative)fashion statements by what they choose to wear, as if it were an intentional act on their part, rather than an act of necessity determined by what they can get.
oristarA

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 09:11 pm
@MontereyJack,
Thanks.
But sorry I don't know what you're saying.
And you haven't answered my question.
0 Replies