New $20 Bills Won't Work in Automated Checkouts

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 10:31 am
The U.S. government has never been one to win prizes for thinking ahead:

Quote:

Have you encountered a problem because of the new bills?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 860 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Turner 727

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 10:33 am
Nope, not yet. But I did get several of the bills as cash back from a WalMart Automated Payment thingy. Ironic, isn't it?

Wasn't there a problem with the new $5 bills too?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 04:41 pm
No fair!!!

I have yet to see one of these bills. I am looking forward to it with eager anticipation...
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 04:57 pm
I was in Washington D.C. on October 15, got a bunch of brand new ones at the Bureau of Engraving & Printing. Even saw them being printed. Loved the sign on one employee's desk...

Think your job is depressing? I print my entire lifetime salary every few minutes.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 05:15 pm
They've been around Connecticut for weeks. I much preferred the old style bills. I think the new twenty's look like Banana Republic money.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 05:17 pm
I will give you my address... could you send me a few ? Wink
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 05:20 pm
The new twenties look as though someone had run them through a washing machine in a brand new pair of levis, leaving them stained. They look goofy.

That said, in the more than 50 years of my life, there has been no change in the currency until quite recently, so i would suspect it is rather self-indulgent to complain about what other populations routinely experience. The only significant change in money in my lifetime has been the change in "change"--in 1964, the amount of silve in the coinage was reduced from .900 fine to .400 fine, and then in 1969, reduced to less than .050 fine, now using silver only to lend "color."

If they change the $100 again, the Ruskies will **** themselves--they are always suspicious of changes in bank notes, with good reason, and ol' Ben Franklin is the currency of choice there. I heard a few years ago on one of the "big three" network news shows that there was at that time 19,000,000,000 in c-notes circulating in Russia.
0 Replies

KYN2000

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 07:28 pm
Setanta

A few years back "60 Minutes" did a piece on the Russian love affair with US one hundred dollar bills.

Only brand new one hundred dollar bills!

It seems that suitcases of these bills are shipped to Russia weekly and they are used by wealthy Russians (legitimate and othewise) to use.....however.

They wil not use (or even think valuable) any bill that shows any wear whatsoever.

Only brand new bills in packages of tens of thousands are considered "real". Used bills are considered suspect!

But what I still would like to know is what ever happened to the tens of millions of gold colored one dollar coins with the Indian Lady on the head?

Yes, I realize that the public never liked them but what happens to all that so called "money"......sitting around in government vaults?

It just sits, forever?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 07:50 pm
Well, actually it is used in some parts of the country. When my sweetie and I drove through Maine a few summers back, the vending machines at the rest stops accepted those coins, and every self checkout machine i've ever seen accepts them. Coincidentally, i got one in my change at a Wendy's outside London, Ontario the week before last. I told the girl behind the counter: "Hey, this is a U.S. dollar, not a Loony, are you sure you want to give this to me?" (A Loony is Canajun dollar coin, and a U.S. dollar was worth about $1.30 Canajun that week.) She replied that it was no good to her.

As people often have been in history, the Russians have been cheated on the exchange rate whenever new currency has been issued. They are deeply mistrustful of such an occurrance. When the "new" bank notes came out, including the c-note, i saw a hilarious little news item on the tee-vee. It showed a puzzled-looking embassy staff member in Moscow telling the Russian media that a hundred dollar bill is a hundred dollar bill is a hundred dollar bill. You could tell he really didn't understand what the fuss was all about--Americans wouldn't even think about this, money is money, and a c-note is worth $100 any day, and any description of the bill. I understand that to help out the Russian government, the U.S. shipped a great many bills to Moscow and St. Petersburg for people to exchange, one for one, so that they would stop being suspicious.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 11:13 pm
I get those dollar coins in a vending machine at work. Put a twenty into it, it drops 20 of the coins. What a racket walking around with those in your pocket.

I like 'em, myself. I wouldn't mind seeing the one dollar bill phased out in favor of the coin. Sure, it's more of a hassle to carry around. . .but the idea just appeals to me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 06:08 am
The Canajuns don't have a bill smaller than a five--they have a dollar coin ("Loony" because a loon is portrayed on it) and a two dollar coin ("Toony" for obvious reaons). Makes perfectly good sense to me. Americans would howl. Depending upon your age, you may recall the SBA dollar bru-ha-ha, with conservatives howling about it, because, i guess, opposing all change is basic to their agenda. That, and the fact that a woman was prominent on the coin. Hard to say with right-wingers, given the lack of any demonstrable thought processes.
0 Replies