Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 02:04 am

WELCOME to the forum, Amieth.

David
Irishk

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 09:48 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Irishk wrote:
ETA: We don't feed our dog anything but dry dog food...
and every once in a while a steak bone or one of those big bones from the butcher.
My aunt got some bones for her dog from the butcher.
She made the mistake of telling him that the bones were for her dog, instead of "soup bones."
She said that since the butcher thought thay were "only" for a dog, he gave her some bones that proved to be unhealthy,
with disastrous effects on the dog 's health.

The moral of the story is:
don 't tell the butcher that the bones are for a dog.

I'm sorry to say we didn't heed your advice. We gave our Jack a steak bone last Saturday night and he was ill for three days. Just at the moment I convinced Mr.Irish we needed to take him to the vet, he perked up and started acting like his old self. Scary, indeed.

I think the problem is he doesn't just 'chew' on the bones, he EATS them. He may have gotten some bone pieces in his intestines and that's what caused his stomach distress. Just a guess...I'll be asking the vet the next time we take him in for a checkup. Anyway, no more bones for Jack (and he dearly loves and looks forward to them) Sad

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 11:21 am
@Irishk,
I understand that chicken bones, and bones from pork chops or lamb chops are especially dangerous to the dog 's intestines.
0 Replies

amieth

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 01:18 pm
@Irishk,
I am feeding few dogs on the street so I can reduce the pain, but no guts to bring a new puppy, as she never liked other dogs
0 Replies

amieth

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 01:27 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Its painful
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 01:33 pm
When my dog Mitzi died I took here to the Maryland SPCA and had her cremated, I still have the ashes!

http://i47.tinypic.com/m7dea0.jpg
0 Replies

amieth

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 12:58 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Hi, david
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 09:56 am
@amieth,
amieth wrote:
Hi, david
Hi, Amieth

David
0 Replies

msleeb

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 01:19 pm
@BarbieQPickle,
I'm so sorry Barbie...I just read this and you posted about Penny in 2010. I wish I had read this. My very heathy Bichon was itching and the vet gave him Prednisone and he got thirsty, pp everywhere and throwing up and dead in 1 week. It has been 4 months and i'm still lost without him. I want to get the word out there for others to please be careful with Prednisone...I wish someone had warned me. Hope you are doing ok now.
0 Replies

Pscfk1

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2017 04:33 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
The same thing happened to mine last night and he died, he acted the same way you just described what happened to yours! Was your vet in Macon Ga?
0 Replies