at study entry = ?

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 08:32 am
1) slow progressors gained 0.6 fewer points per year ... than rapid progressors ? Does it mean "if rapid progreesors gain 6 points, then slow progressors gain 5.4points every year"?

2) at studay entry = ?

Context:
The investigators found that patients in the slow and intermediate groups maintained better performance on tests of cognitive function, global function, and complex activities of daily living than the rapid progressors. For example, slow progressors gained 0.6 fewer points per year on the ADAScog and intermediate progressors 0.8 fewer points per year than rapid progressors.

At study entry, the slow progressors also had a longer estimated duration of symptoms than intermediate or fast progressors, as well as higher IQ and education.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 574 • Replies: 3
No top replies

aidan

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 09:23 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
1) slow progressors gained 0.6 fewer points per year ... than rapid progressors ? Does it mean "if rapid progreesors gain 6 points, then slow progressors gain 5.4points every year"?

Yes.

Quote:
At study entry, the slow progressors also had a longer estimated duration of symptoms than intermediate or fast progressors, as well as higher IQ and education.

Quote:
2) at studay entry = ?
By the time they entered the study, the slow progressors also had a longer estimated duration of symptoms than intermediate or fast progressors, as well as higher IQ and education.

I think this sentence is fine as it is, but I'd change the order of the phrases.I'd write it like this:
By the time they entered the study, the slow progressors, who possessed higher IQ's and levels of education, had also experienced longer (estimated) duration of symptoms.

I think that states it more clearly.

oristarA

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 09:30 pm
@aidan,
Thanks
aidan

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 02:31 am
@oristarA,
You're welcome.
0 Replies