10/28/03 solar flare = 10/29/03 electronic disruption

littlek

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 09:01 pm
Sorry if this is a repeat. There was a very large solar flare today that is projecting a mass of hot gas at us. The wave should break on earth tomorrow at midday. Some disruption in electronica is expected.

Solar flares are catagorized in classes of strength: C is weakest, M is moderate and X is strong. Usually we see a strong flare ranked at around X5, today's was X17.5 strong!

Solar Flare
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,922 • Replies: 24
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 09:06 pm
NASA's space weather site:
http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/spaceweather/

and a video of the flare taken by the SOlar and Heliospheric Observatory satellite (SOHO):
http://www.nasa.gov/vision/universe/solarsystem/10.28Flare.html
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 09:40 pm
hmmm, does no one care?
0 Replies

shoesharper

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 11:39 pm
Well, sure we care. But what do you advise doing? What will be hitting us (and has been hitting us for several weeks now) is not "a mass of hot gas", although it started out that way when it exploded on the sun. What hits us is pure energy, and that is what disrupts communications, etc.

When the last big blast occurred my computer started doing some very weird things and I still wonder if that was related to the solar flare. Did anyone else notice the same? Question
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 01:53 am
I'm looking forward to the videos of the colorful auroras in the night sky that are supposed to be visible as far south as Texas and Florida beginning late Wednesday.

According to one article, sunspots and solar storms tend to occur in 11-year cycles; the current cycle peaked in late 2000. Scientists compare the latest flare to the "Bastille Day storm" that occurred in July 2000.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 07:50 am
In my whole life, I have no recollection of a solar flare affecting anything immediately apparent to me. If this one does, it will be interesting. I hope it won't be too destructive. I know that they have an eleven year cycle. Any electromagnetic radiation would have hit us within eight minutes, so I guess what's coming now is the charged particles. I know that when manned spacecraft re-enter the atmosphere and go through a radio blackout, it's because of the charged particles caused by the heat of re-entry ionizing the atmosphere around the craft, so it will be interesting to see how this affects radio. I hope it doesn't harm the ability of airplanes to navigate or anything like that.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 08:03 am
Well this is, has been or will be (we can see -if we get a clear night polar lights tonight) really a great 'event', but nothinmg like the one 1859!

The Great Storm: Solar Tempest of 1859 Revealed
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 10:13 am
There's a really good short story by Larry Niven, called Inconstant Moon. While I won't give away specifics, it deals with the sun spewing out a lot of stuff. Very interesting read. Talking about this made me think of the story.

Myself, I'm hopin' to see some good Northern Lights tonight. I work overnight, so I'm going to try and check it out on my way to work. . .
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 10:29 am
Good luck with the Northern lights Turner.

I wasn't suggesting that anyone do anything! Just thought it would be interesting to know.

Anyone notice anything? I work caring for kids and the TV (she napping) has been tweaking a bit.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 01:21 pm
It is interesting to know and would love to observe the lights...sounds like the latests reports have it coming in too early for us here to see much but, you never know.
Havent noticed anything oddly out of the ordinary.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 06:23 pm
Maybe Turner will come up with an interesting something or other....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 06:34 pm
I care, Lil Miss Kay, and i thank you for the links.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 06:55 pm
Thanks for the auroras tip, Btrfly. Didn't know. Will look!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 07:24 pm
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1366736,00.asp

There's todays news.....
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 07:27 pm
Lot of pictures here
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 07:27 pm
one of my favorites
http://150.144.30.101/gallery/top30/top30_detail_molten304_earth.html
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 08:15 pm
I don't have cable and only use rabbit-ears for reception on my TV. About 10 am this morning I suddenly started experiencing periodic static and picture flutter.

Can't officially attribute that to the solar flare storm though. We're also experiencing high winds and a 25 degree drop in temperature today and I get the same picture interruptions when ever there are high winds.

Other then that, I haven't experienced anything unusual. Seems to be mostly a "media event" much like the huge bold headlines on the Drudge Report today about there being an earthquake in the fire zone in So Cal. Well, if you look at the magnitude, it is only something like 3.1 or so. Those little earthquakes happen in California on such a regular basis that they are hardly noticed or reported on anymore.
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 02:11 am
Well, I looked, but didn't see anything. Course, I'm under a lot of light pollution too.

However. . .

Quote:
New, major story storm appears headed for Earth
By Dan Vergano, USA TODAY
Another major solar storm appears headed for Earth, following the unexpectedly early arrival of a geomagnetic blast Wednesday.

http://images.usatoday.com/weather/news/photos/2003-10-29-aurora.jpg
Northern lights above Soldotna, Alaska early Wednesday.
AP

Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics (CfA) scientists report a major solar flare hit their satellites late Wednesday afternoon, signifying the new storm's likely arrival today.

"We're getting our share of storms. The fact that we have two large ones coming right at us so close together is really unusual," says CfA solar astrophysicist John Kohl.

There were few reports of damage from Wednesday's storm.

Utilities are closely watching power grids and for signs of voltage-control problems, and minor electric surges are reported well under control.

Such strong geomagnetic storms should cause colorful auroras in the night sky visible as far south as Texas and Florida through Friday. El Paso reported an aurora Wednesday morning.

Space weather forecasters at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Space Weather Center in Boulder, Colo., said the cloud of highly charged solar particles from the sun hit Earth's magnetic field at 1 a.m. ET, Wednesday, hours ahead of schedule.

In Tokyo, Japan's space agency announced the Kodama communications satellite malfunctioned after being effected affected by the flare. The agency said it was only temporarily shut down and would be reactivated after the storm subsided, but there was no major communication disruption occurred.

Federal researchers have again turned off instruments and taken other precautions with science satellites.

Space station astronauts will continue to periodically seek shelter.

And by chance, a previously-scheduled House Science Committee hearing on proposed cuts to NOAA's space monitoring budget meets Thursday.

Solar storms come in three parts: a fast-moving x-ray flare, a burst of slower radiation and finally the arrival of a giant superheated cloud of gas.

Major blasts trigger geomagnetic storms that threaten satellites and power grids.

The new storm will add to the effects of Wednesday's blast, rated a G5, the highest intensity space weather.

The storm's strength fell after the initial blast, then rose, as its magnetic field twisted out of line with Earth's magnetic field, continuing to threaten satellites and power systems, says NOAA. In 1989, a G5 storm knocked out power in Canada's Quebec province.

"It is extremely rare to get this level of geomagnetic storming," said NOAA space weather forecaster Larry Combs in Boulder. "This is one of the strongest storms that we have received during this cycle."

He also noted that there had been radio communications disruptions in recent days for airlines, especially those on North Atlantic and polar routes. A storm of lesser strength occurred last week.

The National Science Foundation reported that the New York Air National Guard LC-130 transports flying between the McMurdo Station and South Pole have encountered problems with their high-frequency radios, but are staying in communication with McMurdo and the Pole Station by using Iridium mobile phones in the cockpits.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 11:30 am
Had some white noise on the cell phone last night, and a 45 second power black-out the night before. Don't know if they're related. As for an aurora (a dawn? what's up with that?), i'd have to get off my fat, lazy ass and go outside to look . . . don't hold yer breath . . .
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 08:12 pm
My mother just reported that they have had 2 nights of aurora borealis displays on cape cod.
0 Replies