The story of 13 yr. old Sallie Mae Fowler-Australian shepard/border collie mix

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 10:37 am
Our Sallie Mae is 13 yrs. old & dying. As a puppy we didn't know her breed, nor did we care. (Australian shepard/border collie mix)
Any youthful mischievous behavior was repaid in years of dedication, love, faithfulness, & with inventive devotion. During the years Sallie Mae was thrust into various situations. She was adaptable to each one. She started with our family consisting of an infant like her & a five yr old. The years brought may unexpected changes, from a fence, to a runner, to being kept by Grandparents until we were able to relocate home, finally 5.5 acres to roam & then living at the leisure life inside the home. As for our family Sallie Mae adjusted to the addition of more children with no problems, they're are 5 total. So she has lived in a house of 7 with no problems. Now that we have learned about her breed; those herding skills were utilized. Amongst all those changes, Sallie Mae remained the constant for our family.
She is our furry nanny, faithful friend, protector, & the best hunter we know.
If your considering this breed. I did not know what we got, only a small adorable puppy...The runt of the litter. Now 82 lbs. Right now we are trying to let go of one of the greatest gifts GOD gave us in our lifetime. It is an honor to serve her. She has to be carried up/down the stairs, but can walk short distances. She is enjoying a t-bone right now.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,606 • Replies: 7
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 12:12 pm
@mlissamoseley,
I was touched because weve had several Border Collies and they were at their best when working in the fields . They are attentive and true to "their pack".
Its sad when we have to say goodbye and nothing I can say is worth anything to what you seem to be doing to keep her comfortable till she leaves. However, dont let her just carry on if shes in visible pain or unable to move for distances. Remember, in her little pea-brain, shes running all over the fields keeping her "sheep" in order and discharging her responsibilitoes cause heaven knows these humans arent competent enough. You dont want to just keep her alive when she doesnt have a Collie standard of life.

A pure Border Collie is a bundle of energy and needs to be stimulted ALOT. because youve got a mix, youve gotten the best of Border Collie with non of the annoying drawbacks. The one we have now loves to go outside and herd chickens for sport. The damn thing will put them in their nesting area and then go in and scatter them so she can do it all over.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 12:25 pm
@mlissamoseley,
What a beautiful tribute!

My dog, Diamond, is also an Aussie/border collie mix so I know firsthand about how excellent they are. People are always asking me who trained Diamond and I have to reply that nobody did - he's just that smart.

I know how hard it will be to let Sallie Mae go. I wish you all peace.
0 Replies

mlissamoseley

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 07:02 pm
Thank you, I read your kindness to the children today as we buried our-
Sallie Mae. It seems that you both made it easier for the children to talk after reading your letters. With Sincere appreciation. Thank you for your support & time. The Moseleys
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 07:09 pm
It's heart breaking to lose a family member, which is what a great dog like that is. My condolences.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 07:25 pm
@mlissamoseley,
Im saqddened but you will have many memories of "Sallie Mae" at her best. These will help turn the tears into smiles a year or so down the road.
Sounds like you gave her a great life.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 01:15 am
Them Aussies are worth their weight.
0 Replies

mlissamoseley

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 07:32 pm
Hello All! I hope this post finds you All doing well.
I am still indebted to you for your support.
(Farmerman, Boomerang, Edgarblythe, & Dadpad)
We still miss our beloved "Sallie Mae" everyday.
I am in search of a puppy. I am having trouble.
Yep! She was one of a kind.
In fla. It seems that you must find a breeder for an Aussie!
If you know of a local Aussie available...We would LOVE an opportunity to fall in love again!
Once you are spoiled to an Aussie, the rest only Aussie owners understand.
Thank you for your time,
Melissa
0 Replies