Good Vibes and Omming for Robert

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 03:16 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
You know, you HAVE been sounding a bit stressed by your nature lately.

When it conflicts, when my rituals and perfectionism get in the way of my desire for productivity. Basically when I know I'm not being perfectly productive because I'm being too picky about how perfect every detail of both our work and our process should be. Or when I just can't bring myself to concentrate enough to work.

Or when I just hit my wall. I used to not think I had one and I still seem surprised each time I hit it. I always have no idea where it is and it seems like every year or two I hit it hard and just can't do what I am trying to do. Then I get stressed but it doesn't usually last long.

Quote:
Being you, I am sure you are aware of the non-drug stuff that might ameliorate things a bit (should you ever want them ameliorated?) You know...CBT/mindfulness stuff.

I'm always interested in information, but CBT is part of the stuff I am talking about doing when I say I fight it and suppress it whenever I can identify it working against my goals.

But I'm sure there are gaps in my knowledge because it's largely been internally learned and I'm sure a different perspective might lend me different insights I might not be as keen to so I'd be interested in anything you can point me towards. I find this stuff (psychology) fascinating so it's a fun read for me no matter what I get out of it.
dlowan

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 03:28 am
@Robert Gentel,
Well, the first thing in the mindfulness repertoire would be NOT fighting and suppressing it!!!!! I certainly find that is useless for me, and tends, in fact, to increase the problem.

The mindfulness stuff is very meditational and kind of Buddhist...but it's showing up as very helpful for LOTS of people!

CBT DOES tend to be into fighting and suppressing.....and has good results, but it's very interesting. There has been some interesting research following up CBT successes (and they have had a very bad habit of dropping drop-outs from their results in the past).

The study I am thinking of was via interviewing, and (from the account of it I have read...not the original research) people tended to forget a lot of the thought-stopping and cognition testing and all that, and what they retained was a mindfulness skill......recognizing that thoughts are just thoughts, and that one can simply gently let them pass.

The thing that worries me a bit for you re this is your aversion to stopping frenzied mental activity and that would be a real issue for you re any of the ameliorating skills.

I can say more, but not sure if you want me to at all, or here.

I am happy to look up stuff that's around on the net and post it...but the best stuff I know about is in book form or CD.

0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 07:54 am
I think I've mentioned before that you remind me a lot of E.G. -- not everything, but many of the major features.

He can't take vacations either, but what relaxes him most is off-the-grid "working" vacations, low-to-no amenity situations where he has to chop wood, carry water, do *physical* exertion that is also required work, rather than the furious brainwork he's usually doing.

Going to the gym regularly has also helped him enormously, as pedestrian as that may be.

That's all working again with the assumption you need to relax, sounds like the occasional humdinger of an illness is acceptable collateral to you.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 07:59 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
... I can't delegate ...

Yep. Good to have you back and I won't send chicken soup. Would you prefer something with beans instead (farts notwithstanding)?
Letty

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 09:42 am
@jespah,
funny, Jes. I recall a story that made me really laugh. Some woman had a bean supper and while her back was turned, a mischievous kid put bee bees in each bean serving. The next morning, when the woman awakened, she stopped over to retrieve a cup towel, and shot the cat. (my mamma always called those small towels "cup towels")

Yep, we're glad that our Robert is alive and well and living here.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 09:52 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

I won't send chicken soup. Would you prefer something with beans instead (farts notwithstanding)?

Beans shmeans. Send the chicken soup, jes. It's the only thing. To steal the punch line of a very old joke, it can't hoit him, either.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 10:52 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
Quote:
The primary symptoms of OCPD are a preoccupation with details, rules, lists, order, organization, and schedules; being very rigid and inflexible in their beliefs; showing perfectionism that interferes with completing a task; excessive focus on being productive with their time; being very conscientious; [ snip ] and a reluctance to trust a work assignment or task to someone else for fear that their standards will not be met.
holy shite, that's me to a tee monday thru friday... Shocked
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 01:42 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Maaaaaaaaaaaan... dayum...that sounded nasty!!!!!

Very pleased to hear you are back with the reasonably healthy folks now.

You take care, Rob!

<felt a bit like a fly on the wall reading the last few pages...

it's good/interesting to know a little more about folk

flies away...>
Very Happy
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 03:11 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
I edited in the indications for my OCPD up there but here is the one-sentence version:

Quote:
The primary symptoms of OCPD are a preoccupation with details, rules, lists, order, organization, and schedules; being very rigid and inflexible in their beliefs; showing perfectionism that interferes with completing a task; excessive focus on being productive with their time; being very conscientious; having inflexible morality, ethics, or values; hoarding items that may no longer have value; and a reluctance to trust a work assignment or task to someone else for fear that their standards will not be met.

That sound like you to you? It can be more mild than my manifestations (e.g. you can have as little as 4 of the indications in the larger list I posted earlier while I have all but one of those and all of these core indications), which can be extreme when I am not suppressing it well.
I have a touch of OCD; not a lot, but a little.
Of course, as a Goldwater political conservative,
I am rigid in my interpretation of the Supreme Law of the Land.
I don 't have rituals, but I was obsessed with
a certain blonde young lady named Joyce for several decades.
Some folks on some fora have accused me of being obsessed with certain equipment and its jurisprudential environment.

Congratulations on recovery of your good health, Robert!

I was thinking that u have built a reallly good, enjoyable, convenient website here.
U have my gratitude and my admiration!

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

David
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 09:20 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Very happy that you are feeling better. The fever scared me. While I know you to be smart as a whistle, I didn't know if you were keen at the moment on how dangerous it could have been.

I was that sick once. Found out I had pneumonia, strep and bronchitis all at the same time due to the season, stress and lack of sleep. (Well, really due to some mean little bugs as we all know, but I had made myself the perfect host and the immune system couldn't knock 'em all back on its own.)

So, are you and the doc comfortable with a diagnosis of probable allergic reaction? Or, did I misread that? I'd sure wanna know what I came in contact with that caused my body to react that way.

I'm hearing you on the universal health care. I thought we had public hospitals of a sort while I was growing up. I didn't hear of large corporate buy ups of hospitals until the mid to late 80's. At that time they were buying up what I knew to be the hospitals that took in those that couldn't pay. Perhaps the overcharging of those with insurance to cover those without was taking place then, too. I don't know. I thought there were state and / or federal funds (likely just state now that I think about it) that helped cover the "public hospitals" I'm remembering.

Anyway, I started this not to alarm anyone or be an alarmist, but rather to hopefully hear from someone you may have contacted from here that you were okay. I did have the thought that afterwards you might feel a bit silly.... then I figured the benefits of you knowing we care about you and were all wishing you well would outweigh. And, hey. a little silly is good as you've already admitted. : )

Again, I'm happy to hear you are feeling better. Sounds like it was quite a ride. To top it off with Taco Bell ... priceless.
Lash

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 02:57 pm
@squinney,
Oh my gosh! Who is close to him? Is he still in Costa Rica? Do we need to send a delegation?
Lash

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 02:59 pm
@Lash,
This is a prime example of why we should read ahead... Thank goodness.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 09:59 pm
@squinney,
Good news is my wiener still works. Just tested it. Urinated flawlessly!
dlowan

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 11:00 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Good news is my wiener still works. Just tested it. Urinated flawlessly!

SO good to hear that.

Can you knit at the same time?
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 11:26 pm
@dlowan,
I see what you did there.
dlowan

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 11:28 pm
@Robert Gentel,
(anxiously wonders what on earth i did.......)
Eorl

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 11:29 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Floorlessly ?
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 12:14 pm
@dlowan,
I thought you made an emasculating peeing-sitting-down joke?
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 12:16 pm
@Eorl,
It wouldn't quite be a fully functional wiener now if it urinated floorlessly would it? Nah, I passed with flying colors (so in other words there was some on the ceiling).
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 12:19 pm
@Robert Gentel,

(i took it as a "walk and chew gum" spin-off...)