Why do men shake hands with men and kiss women; why do women put up with it?

ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 05:50 pm
@Heeven,
Aaaacccck! (re the open beak)
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 12:50 pm
@ebrown p,
That is a great rule, I was so used to kissing when meeting that I always did it, I'm more alert now.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 01:36 pm
Just what Pantalones said. Great rule, ebrownp.

(And cultural differences are indeed important. Some female co-workers would feel that I dislike them or that I am mad at them if I don't kiss them in the cheek, let alone feel that they have to "put up with it"... and if some male co-worker came with the idiotic remark Eva's hubby had to put up with, I'd tell him to "go to hell, you freakin' paranoid", but with less gentle words).

0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 01:38 pm
Oh, BBB. I'm very glad you're feeling better now.

(Hugs and a virtual kiss on the cheek)
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 01:45 pm
@Pantalones,
Pantalones is from the North, so it's less costumary there for men to greet other men you know by embracing them -perhaps tightly- and patting them in the back a couple of times. Very very common among politicians and businessmen. If you go a symposium or a political meeting it's a fair of hugs and strong pats in the back.
(Not a thing you do with people you met every day though... but still some co-workers say goodbye with a stiff hug in the air).
BorisKitten

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 02:27 pm
@Eva,
Quote:
... The other guy grabbed his hand and threw it off, then said, "I don't like it when other guys touch me." Hubby was just trying to be courteous, but after that he felt like this guy had interpreted his simple gesture as a gay come-on...

Ack, poor hubby! I'm still trying to think of a snappy comeback for a jerk like co-worker-guy...

Will let you know when I come up with one!

This all reminds me of an old National Geographic article, where a journalist and photographer visited a very remote area (Siberia, maybe?) and the couple, who saw maybe 2 people per year, greeted both of these strangers with hugs and kisses.

I'd hug strangers, too, if I met only two per year!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 02:28 pm
@fbaezer,
An air hug???!!!
fbaezer

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 03:12 pm
@dlowan,
You bend slightly your arms (using your elbow), rise them -the left arm slightly higher than the right arm- with the palms of your hands facing your chest. You move your arms in and away (towards your chest and away from it) as if the other guy was between them. The movement is done twice or three times. An air hug. Very polite.
dlowan

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 03:23 pm
@fbaezer,
Cool!!!!!!

Humans are extraordinarily odd creatures, you know.

Life would be SO simple if we simply sniffed each others' bums upon greeting, as so many sensible animals do.
Thomas

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 03:25 pm
@dlowan,
Some of those species slobber each other, too, though.
dlowan

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 03:36 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Some of those species slobber each other, too, though.

You're just jealous because they can lick their own genitals.
Thomas

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 10:50 pm
@dlowan,
Dammit, that reminds me -- I have to sign up for that yoga class!
dlowan

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 12:47 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Dammit, that reminds me -- I have to sign up for that yoga class!

Men have tried for years. Apparently it doesn't work.

Though I do wonder about contortionists....
0 Replies

Pillog

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 06:18 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Im a guy and i hug my guy friends and girl friends, in certain areas guys do kiss eachother to greet eachother and the same for girls. I dont know where youre from but thats the way we do it in my neighboorhood.
Brandon9000

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 06:31 am
@Pillog,
Pillog wrote:

Im a guy and i hug my guy friends and girl friends, in certain areas guys do kiss eachother to greet eachother and the same for girls. I dont know where youre from but thats the way we do it in my neighboorhood.

Where is this neighborhood where men kiss each other as a greeting??? Nothing like that around me, thank heavens.
ebrown p

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 06:35 am
@Brandon9000,

0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 06:44 am
I said as a greeting, not a final goodbye.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 11:16 pm
This may be redundant because I have not taken the time to read prior replies, but...

Women who get kissed rather than hand shaked, want it that way

When someone insists on a kiss when the recipient wants no part, the kiss doesn't happen or the kisser gets thrown to the curb.

This silly notion that there are Corporate Male Swine having their way, by virtue of orgnizational politics, with innocent, entirely capable, and entirely incapable sexually acute females, is just so much shite.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 03:26 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Cool!!!!!!

Life would be SO simple if we simply sniffed each others' bums upon greeting, as so many sensible animals do.

true that ms. buns... as Isaid on page 3
Wink
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 06:30 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Cool!!!!!!

true that ms. buns... as Isaid on page 3
Wink
There r too many bums in NY
since the NY Court of Appeals emptied out most of the mental hospitals.
0 Replies