Why do men shake hands with men and kiss women; why do women put up with it?

dlowan

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 04:40 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

I've been annoyed for many years at the custom of men in public settings have a custom, when greeting them, to shake hands with men but they kiss and hug women. Why don't they shake hands with women? Why do they treat women as if they are sex symbols or fragile females that need protection. Why do women continue to allow this out-dated custom?

I say shake hands with both men and women. Maybe children would also prefer hand shaking instead of kissing by non-family members.

BBB

Well, you appear to be living in a different milieu from mine.

I shake hands with men and women I do not know well.

With people with whom there is mutual liking, this may develop into a kiss and/or a hug upon greeting, regardless of gender.

The men may likewise continue to shake hands with each other, or this mutually develops into a hug too.

dlowan

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 04:49 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Robert Gentel wrote:
As for me, I just wish we could just greet without any touching myself.

I'm sure everyone else who greets you is also a lot happier when you don't touch yourself.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

What a difference a comma makes.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 04:50 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

I'm talking about the custom that when a man is walking down a line of people in a large croud, men and women, the man shakes the hand of the man and kisses the woman. This is a different environment than you describe, with which I agree with kissing and hugging in those circumstances.

BBB

Huh?

This may be some custom local to yourself?

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 04:57 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
To me, a kiss can be just a kiss.

You must remember this
A kiss is just a kiss
And Aunt Bee is paranoid . . .
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 04:58 pm
@dlowan,
I live in two different milieus. In my liberal, educated, mostly white New England circle, people are pretty formal unless there is an established friendship. You shake hands with people until you are close... after which a hug is generally exchanged.

When I am among Latinos, affection is much more freely given. At social events, I will give a kiss on the cheek to pretty much any woman who is an acquaintance. The masculine greetings never include kisses, but the handshakes/hugs are far more expressive (in an appropriately manly sort of way).

I spent a couple of weeks in Jordan with friends I had met in the US. It is customary for male friends to walk down the street hand in hand (although you never see a man and a women hand in hand even if they are in a relationship). My friend reached for my hand, to which I must have instinctively cringed. He then graciously understood I was an American (without taking offense). Being raised as an American man, this would have been very uncomfortable (even intellectually understanding the cultural meaning of the gesture).

There are different social norms in each culture. I tend to follow them unless I have a good reason to break with tradition.
msolga

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 05:09 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
It's the "air kissing" (with no actual contact) that I have trouble with. Usually between women saying hello. I've never gotten the knack of doing it properly & always feel a bit silly when I'm expected to.
dlowan

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 05:17 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

It's the "air kissing" (with no actual contact) that I have trouble with. Usually between women saying hello. I've never gotten the knack of doing it properly & always feel a bit silly when I'm expected to.

Lol! We air kiss with major hilarity to be funny in one of my groups. The men too.

Our gay male friends kiss the men with great enthusiasm, if they think they are hot, though. There is much flirtation between them.
dlowan

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 05:19 pm
@ebrown p,
Yes...it's kind of funny watching inter-cultural dances between people.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 05:24 pm
@dlowan,
Air kissing is very big at the school I work at, with the girls, when they come across friends for the first time each day. They call out greetings very loudly & with much enthusiasm , prior to the air kiss, as if they've been parted for years & years! It quite something to see. Very Happy
0 Replies

ScarfaceZel

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 06:56 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
To me kissing a woman's hand is a sign of respect to women and a show of loyalty from man. A woman is a future mother and must b treated less harshly than with males. I am not saying women are fragile: all i am saying is that if you personally want to b equal to a man, then don;t b shocked if someone punches u in da face without caring if u r a woman or man.
dlowan

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 07:26 pm
@ScarfaceZel,
Well, frankly I'd be very unhappy if someone punched me in the face even if I were a man!

0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 08:18 pm
Ihug men when Imeet them.... but Icombine it withthe Viking back slap. Women I just sniff their butts.
plainoldme

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 09:08 pm
Women kiss other women, particularly women of certain social classes and professions. They also shake hands. Men do both as well.

On the other hand, when I was in training for my first job after college (welfare case worker, and the year was probably 1970), I asked what sort of rituals one should observe with the clients. I honestly felt that I should shake hands with them. The trainer, a Southern woman with a Gibson girl hairdo (I will never forget her), was horrified at the suggestion. "I would never offer my hand to anyone!"

All during college, I was in situations where the greeting was either a kiss on the cheek or a handshake.

I remember Leonard Bernstein asking women who appeared with him on television, "May I kiss you?" That made me think the kiss on the cheek was the mark of an educated and sophisticated person.

A customer at the liquor store where I work . . . a friendly and cheerful man . . . told me of social event that he thought I might be interested in. As I had nothing to do that night and the admission was reasonable, I went. He greeted me with a kiss when he saw me and I thought it appropriate. He would never greet me that way in the store.

Put up with it? Easily when the man is well-mannered and charming, as the customer is and Bernstein was. Now, should some grubby alcoholic, the sort who buys nips to control his intake, want to kiss me, I would be upset.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 09:59 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Ihug men when Imeet them.... but Icombine it withthe Viking back slap. Women I just sniff their butts.

The troubling thing is that I do not find that hard to believe.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 10:11 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
To me, the kiss is a male power put down.

I think you may be reading into this too much.

I've never personally given a kiss as a greeting. I've shook many hands, and given many hugs to both men and women. I don't think that someone giving me a kiss would be an insult or a show of power, nor do I think that if I was to do so it would be for any reason beyond simple custom.

I guess I fail to see the insult here...

T
K
O
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 10:18 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

actually men should demand that women shake hands rather than offer their cheek to be kissed as that would, at least symbolically, imply that the woman didn't have a knife in her hand to place in the man's back while he is distracted by the kiss.

Well, okay then. I guess I won't kiss you the next time we meet. (sigh)

BBB asks "Why do women put up with it?" I can't speak for other women, but I happen to enjoy being kissed! I think it's a lovely custom. When I traveled to France, it took me about five seconds to get used to all the kissing. American men are so afraid of looking gay that they never kiss other men, not even in greeting. It's sad, really.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 10:23 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Time to bring these quotes back - BBB was speaking fairly specifically..

BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

Robert, I guess I'm reacting to watching the political antics on TV of the men in Washington, DC. It seems that if they know the woman, including congress house women and senators, they kiss her while they shake the hands of the men they know. To me, the kiss is a male power put down.

BBB

another quote from BBB -
@chai2,
I'm talking about the custom that when a man is walking down a line of people in a large croud, men and women, the man shakes the hand of the man and kisses the woman. This is a different environment than you describe, with which I agree with kissing and hugging in those circumstances.

BBB
ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 10:31 pm
I don't know that I agree with BBB on her take on the congressional thing, but I see what she's getting at.
I remember having a pretty hard time explaining on a2k why there were a few times I didn't like being called a lady - specifically when my business partner and I arrived at the job site to check the work progress, make any design or installation adjustments (including "fix this"), and would be greeted by "oh, hi, ladies". Kind of the wrong time and place for it. Just call me by my name..
dyslexia

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 10:46 pm
@ossobuco,
first line, first post, new thread;
Quote:
I've been annoyed for many years at the custom of men in public settings have a custom, when greeting them, to shake hands with men but they kiss and hug women.
the remainder of that first post offered no specificity whatsoever only gross sterotyping generalities about what "men do." I call that knee-jerk reactionary bullshit.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 12:04 am
@Robert Gentel,
Get your hands out of your damn underwear!
0 Replies