Why do men shake hands with men and kiss women; why do women put up with it?

dyslexia

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 01:35 pm
and another thing, I notice on the t.v. and in real life men are taller than women. This is obviously a plot by men to make women look small and less important. If our society was really concerned about true equality than male babies should have leg shortening surgery shortly after being born. This could be done at the same time as circumcision.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 01:46 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I would never kiss or hug a strange woman or man. I would hug a good friend, but I would think that men would want that greeting extended to them, not the impersonal handshake extended to women.
ebrown p

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 01:55 pm
@engineer,
What if a strange woman were a good friend?
ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 02:28 pm
@ebrown p,
What if a strange friend were a man?

Well - for me it would depend on the situation -

- business gathering, shake everyone's hand if that is what is happening, or a quick nod smile (say, a group of architects who are meeting to talk about a project); meeting a mix of contractors, architects on a project for the first time, I might be the one to extend a handshake
- meeting a group of women who are friends of each other, only one of whom I know: that would be smiles only- meeting a couple as potential clients at their house, probably introduce self and smile, take their cue
- meeting an a2ker for the first time, who I've probably talked with a hundred times.. it might be a hug, might not, depends on cues, I'm comfortable with both
- some kind of cultural institutional situation like BBB is thinking about, I'd go with the culture
- the hollywood culture, same thing
- some girlfriends I've known for years who have plenty of experience with the cheek kissing thing from europe or latin america, fine with me; it's usually that kind of formality at the start and then hugs on leaving
- men in the family, I'll hold their hand and kiss their cheek

Which brings up two people I don't know what to do with, one older male in family and one an old female friend. They do lip kisses at goodbye time, usually in some sort of clump of people by the door, never a sexual thing, but I'm not used to it. I react with an inner oh, no! and try not to show it. I get it that it's routine with them with people they feel fond of.

I think a lot of this comes from family background; mine weren't very huggy. I'm a learner at it.
dyslexia

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 02:53 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso are you saying that it depends of the situation and it's not just
Quote:
men in public settings
? You sound like a traitor to the cause of women's liberation.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 03:11 pm
@dyslexia,
So it goes.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 03:14 pm
@dyslexia,
Actually, I remember when I met you. It was at that St. Charles Spaniel hotel (I forget the real name) in the bar area, where eventually we had a nice clump of a2kers. You didn't know me from Adam, I don't think, except that Diane did, and I sprung up and demanded to hug you. (slaps self)
Francis

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 03:26 pm
Osso wrote:
I'll hold their hand and kiss their cheek

Sometimes I do it the other way around..
ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 03:27 pm
@ossobuco,
Amending that. I think I jumped up, asked you if I could hug you, and you didn't mind. Still, fairly aggressive.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 03:27 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

I DREADED getting kissed by one of my uncles (I won't say which one) to the point that I would hide to avoid it. He'd come in and be all booming and noisy, 'Where's all them little yankee girls - come give your uncle some sugar'- .

Laughing

Oh, I had to laugh at that.

Except for the loud booming voice, that's just how my husband talks to me at times.

Lil' yankee girl.

I just love it when he says light bulb.

"Baby, say light bulb for me."

"Laht bub"

Cool
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 03:29 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

What if a strange woman were a good friend?

Maybe another greeting would be in order! Wink
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 03:37 pm
@Francis,
Good one.
0 Replies

mm25075

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 03:45 pm
...I for one am a woman who DOES mind being kissed by someone I don't know or even ones I do know. Gives me the heeby jeebies! (especially big wet sloppy ones that are not from animals of the canine variety)

I generally give pretty good signals though, as I will either do a semi block with my left arm while extending my right hand for a good handshake or open my arms in a gesture which shows a hug is fine. (I never never offer my cheek so it would be very difficult for someone to get that close without me being prepared for it.) If they are one of those 'very gentle pats' kind of hugs I know for next time that this person would probably prefer a simple wave in greeting rather than something more touchy and I try to remember that.

Me, I give a good strong handshake or a quick firm hug. I've been told I'm a good kisser too, but only a handful of people have ever had the opportunity to find out.
ebrown p

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 03:50 pm
@mm25075,
Quote:
I generally give pretty good signals though, as I will either do a semi block with my left arm while extending my right hand for a good handshake or open my arms in a gesture which shows a hug is fine.

This is why, when I go in for a kiss, I feint to the left to see if the left arm comes out. Then I roll to the right (around the stiff arm) leaving my whiskered lips an unobstructed path to the now-unguarded target cheek.

((factually I am often in the opposite position-- being the reluctant kisser in social situations where kisses are expected if not demanded ))
panzade

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 03:51 pm
He hit me
And it felt like a kiss.
He hit me
And I knew he loved me.

If he didn't care for me
I could have never made him mad
But he hit me,
And I was glad.

I always shake hands when meeting a woman I don't know. When I lived in Spain the woman invariably offered a demure cheek for a quick peck.
0 Replies

mm25075

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 03:57 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Quote:
I generally give pretty good signals though, as I will either do a semi block with my left arm while extending my right hand for a good handshake or open my arms in a gesture which shows a hug is fine.

This is why, when I go in for a kiss, I feint to the left to see if the left arm comes out. Then I roll to the right (around the stiff arm) leaving my whiskered lips an unobstructed path to the now-unguarded target cheek.

((factually I am often in the opposite position-- being the reluctant kisser in social situations where kisses are expected if not demanded ))

*snicker* I can fein to receive a kiss too, but it will result in grunts from the kisser as they receive an 'accidental' elbow in their right rib cage before the kiss can even get near it's mark. :-D
ebrown p

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 04:14 pm
@mm25075,
Quote:

*snicker* I can fein to receive a kiss too, but it will result in grunts from the kisser as they receive an 'accidental' elbow in their right rib cage before the kiss can even get near it's mark. :-D

Must you tease me so?
mm25075

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 04:22 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Quote:

Must you tease me so?

Me? tease you? ... Yes. Yes I must. I must act for the sake of women everywhere and protect them from the evils of men lurking in bushes waiting for unsuspecting women to walk by to have a whiskered kisses feined on them. Wink
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 04:25 pm
I flirt with every woman in sight . . . but i don't want 'em slobberin' on me . . .
mismi

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 04:33 pm
@Setanta,
Slobber is gross....and it stinks. Maybe you should just let them kiss you.
0 Replies