Doctors in rural areas

tintin

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 06:18 am
Please look at this English text..

Doctors in rural areas are so lacking in adequate transportation that they find it difficult to distribute themselves throughout a countryside becoming increasingly populated with people fleeing the urban lifestyle.

The part below is very much confusing to understand

..they find it difficult to distribute themselves throughout a countryside becoming increasingly populated with people fleeing the urban lifestyle.

Let me break down the parts to show where I have the trouble..

they find it difficult to distribute themselves ---> distribute themselves ? what is that ?

throughout a countryside ---> along country border.

becoming increasingly populated with people fleeing the urban lifestyle---> its becoming populated with people with urban lifestyle.

but what is 'fleeing the urban lifestyle' .....bit mysterious !

comments are appreciated. would like to listen your voice .
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 562 • Replies: 5
No top replies

sullyfish6

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 06:32 am
In other words:

Doctors who set up their practice in the country are lacking in ways to get to and treat their patients because they find it difficult to travel through a countryside that has become populated with people who have left the city and are now living in the country.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 06:39 am
@tintin,
tintin wrote:

Let me break down the parts to show where I have the trouble..

they find it difficult to distribute themselves ---> distribute themselves ? what is that ?

throughout a countryside ---> along country border.

becoming increasingly populated with people fleeing the urban lifestyle---> its becoming populated with people with urban lifestyle.

but what is 'fleeing the urban lifestyle' .....bit mysterious !

comments are appreciated. would like to listen your voice .

Distribute themselves = locate in areas where they can serve the most people

throughout a countryside = just what it says - into the country

fleeing the urban lifestyle = leaving the city for the country

Basically:

So many people are leaving the city for the countryside (so now the countryside is becoming more populated), the doctors feel there aren't enough of them to serve all the new residents (people moving from the city) .

Does this help?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 06:44 am
@tintin,
"distribute themselves" is kind of an awkward way to make the point that the rural doctors cant "be at all places at the same time" (thats another English expression also but less awkward than the one you were given in that sentence) The people are moving out to the country and have settled on plots of land that may be separated from each other by tens of miles, thus making travel inconvenient to the doctors.

Countryside is an ENglish expression for the entire area that is outside the city and suburbs. It is the rural area that , in US can have populations of just a few people per square mile.

Fleeing the urban lifestyle is almost a cliche for moving from the city to the countryside (use the word "countryside" as a collective noun like "city"). We dont really "flee" we choose to leave the city life for the country as a conscious lifestyle decision, not a response to some calamity.

ENglish has a lot of these little phrases, most of us think nothing of the phraqse "fleeing the city", but I suspect that it may imply some kind of panic response when its not. We often over emphasize phrases for dramatic impact . After a while, these kinds of phrases lose favor and then they officially become cliches , and cliches are to be avoided like the plague.
0 Replies

tintin

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 06:59 am
glad to know all those information . That was helpful. I'm now better feeling.

0 Replies

tintin

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 07:06 am
How to show thanks to this forum .

Is it by clicking Thumb icon ? I don't see any 'Thanks' button next to any useful post .
0 Replies