handful of existing housing

tintin

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 04:07 am
Please see some English text...can you please explain the wording.

As new homes are only a handful of existing housing, the regulation will have an extremely small area of effectiveness.

what does 'As new homes are only a handful of existing housing' mean ?

'only a handful of existing housing' means ?

What I confuse here is how can we say New homes are part of existing housing ...New homes are just new ....how this could be existing .....this is my doubt .

Is this a correct english ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 477 • Replies: 2
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 04:18 am
@tintin,
New homes are only a small percentage of the existing homes.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 05:58 am
@tintin,
Yes, it is correct English.

New homes are a part of existing housing because they exist--that they are new doesn't change the fact that they exist. The expression "only a handful" means that they represent only a small percentage of existing housing, as Roger has pointed out.

The context is somewhat insufficient. The regulation which is referred to must apparently only affect newly built housing, and not all existing housing, and as the claim is that new housing is "only a handful." So, the sentence says that of all the housing which exists, newly built housing is only a small proportion, and as the regulation (one infers) only applies to newly built housing, it is only effective with a small proportion of all existing housing.
0 Replies