Discussions that Begin With Links, and No Explanation

wandeljw

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 03:52 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I rarely respond to those kinds of threads because the initiator is actually being lazy. I also am getting a bit annoyed at the cousins of this trick, where someone will merely past up an article without any personal comment. This is a board where we give opinions, its not a news clipping service.

Shouldn't opinions be based on information? News items provide information and/or provide a basis for discussion.
roger

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 04:56 pm
@Robert Gentel,
We have three options in town. Dial up is one. There is a company that will set up my own antenna for somewhat north of a thousand dollars, and from experience at work they haven's shown themselves to be reliable. Finally, there is broadband from Qwest in conjunction with Microsoft. I tried that in the days of ravensrealm, and it was a total disaster both in terms of actual service as well as customer support.

Maybe someday, they will convince me they have changed. Someday.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 02:53 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Completely agree with you, Phoenix. If the writer can't be bothered to start a discussion about the issue, explain the story, then I'm not interested in discussing whatever it is. Hence, I don't click on the link either.

Ditto
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 02:55 am
@Robert Gentel,
Wish I could get DSL for $20.00 per month. Maybe things are more expensive in Canada. I pay $60.00 per month. . Sad
0 Replies

oolongteasup

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 03:50 am
@Phoenix32890,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagiarism

words escape me
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 04:20 am
@wandeljw,
Only if the poster tkes part in the discussions. If she/he just posts and runs, its not interesting. eg Lately whenever you post something from he news re the evo threads , we are always left to comment without your input such as what did you see that made this a valuable post.
oolongteasup

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 05:00 am
@Phoenix32890,
oh you mean like tsarstepan's

grand parents across north america fall victim to scammers posing as their grandchildren

with no comment
farmerman

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 05:13 am
@oolongteasup,
Or totaqlly irrelevant posts like those of OOlong or spendi (not always for spendi but you can never know when his non-linear mind kicks in)
wandeljw

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 06:29 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Only if the poster tkes part in the discussions. If she/he just posts and runs, its not interesting. eg Lately whenever you post something from he news re the evo threads , we are always left to comment without your input such as what did you see that made this a valuable post.

I tend to use that thread merely to chronicle ongoing controversies in different school systems regarding how evolution is taught. News updates are my way of providing a chronicle.

I always could comment more. When I do comment, I do not go into great detail. My opinions are actually simple-minded and do not need elaboration. On the teaching of evolution my position is simply that science should be taught as science and religion should be taught as religion.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 09:14 am
Phoenix, have you read the impersonation Region did of you
http://able2know.org/topic/142167-3#post-3917281

Your entrance post reminded me of that so much.
oolongteasup

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 04:36 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Or totaqlly irrelevant posts

qed exemplar

0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 02:11 pm
@CalamityJane,
No, I never had read that post. I think that Region is a riot. Do I really come off like that??? Confused
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 27 Feb, 2010 02:42 pm
Does this method of trying to start a thread work? If it does all this bloviating here is chit/chat......besides the point.
0 Replies